Tikka T1 replacement barrel?

Wapinschaw

I am considering options for a match grade .22LR. At present I have a Tikka T1 which is a pretty accurate for an off the shelf rifle but I would like to improve accuracy for target events. At present it has a GRS Bifrost stock, as I have two T3 also with Bifrost stocks I would like to keep the stock. What are your views about fitting a match grade barrel, can I expect to gain much improvement, has anyone done this, are there any other ideas to consider? 

On 10/3/2021 at 4:09 PM, Wapinschaw said:

I am considering options for a match grade .22LR. At present I have a Tikka T1 which is a pretty accurate for an off the shelf rifle but I would like to improve accuracy for target events. At present it has a GRS Bifrost stock, as I have two T3 also with Bifrost stocks I would like to keep the stock. What are your views about fitting a match grade barrel, can I expect to gain much improvement, has anyone done this, are there any other ideas to consider? 

My opinion is - a lot of pain for very little gain. More likely nothing to gain other than some extra weight. The heavier profile barrel will look very nice and fill barrel channels on chassis better. 

From experience these little T1X's can be very accurate; they are more accurate than i am and until i am better than them i cannot see the point of so so upgrading of barrel. If you do proceed then have a gunsmith that has done it before do the work as it's not a DIY job.

Recommend just keep trying different ammunition to see what it likes. Practice, Practice and more Practice. Buy another T1X for less than a barrel see it that's any better. As resale of a surplus rifle will hurt a little but a spare barrel can be worthless scrap. Hope this helps? 

On 10/3/2021 at 4:09 PM, Wapinschaw said:

Have you considered improving the T1X trigger to help with accuracy and fitting a barrel tuner to the existing barrel?

A Bix & Andy comp ball bearing trigger will give you release pressures as low as 3oz, a huge difference over a factory T1X trigger. I dont think I would be looking to spend the money replacing the barrel until I had upgraded the rest of the shooting system. Barrel tuners can also make a big difference to getting the best out of the barrel and ammo.

As per Big Al's comments trigger and tuner would be a good start - tuner's on 22rf's really do work.

Then batch testing, RWS are running this at Bisley in November, they test your rifle to find a batch it likes then you can purchase from that batch.

In saying this a shooting buddy has just installed a drop in Lilja into his CZ and it it is an absolute blinder re. consistency and grouping.

T

13 hours ago, Big Al said:

Have you considered improving the T1X trigger to help with accuracy and fitting a barrel tuner to the existing barrel?

A Bix & Andy comp ball bearing trigger will give you release pressures as low as 3oz, a huge difference over a factory T1X trigger. I dont think I would be looking to spend the money replacing the barrel until I had upgraded the rest of the shooting system. Barrel tuners can also make a big difference to getting the best out of the barrel and ammo.

Thanks for that Al, I will look into both suggestions. I am working through various ammunition types as well.

18 hours ago, palo said:

I wouldn't mind trying a tuner on my Tikka T1x. 

What type would be recommend for that rifle and where would I get one ? 

Is the barrel parallel(ish) at the muzzle or threaded?

If the former then Harrell's ( http://harrellsprec.com/index.php/products/harrell-rimfire-tuners-403) or Ezell (https://www.ezellcustomrifles.com/home-3/pdt-tuners/) have used both and they work, but different setting up process for each. Not sure who carries Harrell's in the UK, March Scopes UK keeps the Ezell.

If threaded then the ADT is a neat solution that works with a suppressor ( https://www.marchscopes.co.uk/product/adaptive-tuning-system/ )

Good luck.

T

• 3 weeks later...

I have a pair of T1X that shoot better than I can hold. R50 will shoot 1/4" at 50 yards for 10 shots when I don't mess up. I just couldn't see replacing a T1X (SAKO) barrel without giving a serious workout before hand. One of my rifles is in a KRG chassis and I have used it on small steel plates out to 400 yards with SK Biathlon Sport -the second best ammunition for accuracy in my guns.( but also, less than half the price of R50.)~ Andrew