100yard targets open sights

I'm not exactly in my first flush of youth ad my eyes are fine using the wonderful correction on my scopes, but seeing targets at distance with open sights is less easy. I have open sights on my .303 and want to see how I get on at 100yards in the tunnel range at Monmouth. All the targets I have made previously work really well, but i have never made up any targets for open sights before. I have attached a couple of A4 targets I have made for shooting scoped rifles which I find great as they are easy to 'read' the hits through the scope, which I found many commercial targets aren't - the holes get lost in black areas. These targets are just a white blur even at my local 50metre range sans-scope. I have an A3 printer so can print bigger targets but need a bit of advice on targets that can be seen at distance with old eyes, but the shots will still be readable with a spotting scope. 

MOA Targets 6 up on A4 copy.pdf Target 02 .pdf

I reckon that plain old black round targets are best for iron sights, whether diopter or leaf style. And if you want to see the hits clearly, the ‘splatter’ type of targets are very good. There are various brands: ‘Shoot-NC’, ‘Dirty Bird’ and ‘GlowShot’, but they all do much the same thing. You can get bullseye targets in various sizes to suit your need.

I shoot my No5 pretty regularly and really, anything beyond 100 yards unless it’s big, just doesn’t work with my ageing eyes.

So, I limit my time with this fabulous little rifle to 100 yards or less apart from the occasional 300 yard session at Kingsbury where I feel great if the holes appear in the black bit 😀

For 100 yards or less I find the typical shoot n see targets visible for most situations and a quick squint through some bino’s if I’m struggling always works for me.

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve recently brought one of theses ,

308 Tikka Arctic purely for using irons 

what a absolutely banger !

love it 

put a whole new aspect of just plinking fun,  300 is my limit and I have to keep blinking to see the front sight !

7C7993B4-C88D-4BFD-BFC0-4FA3B0D8CFA8.jpeg

My eyes are crap these days but I still like to shoot iron sights. My favorite irons sight target over the decades has been a white sheet of poster-board. Over the top of this I staple a black sheet with a 16" circle cut from it's middle. This makes a very good aiming point for irons and even with my sorry vision these days, I can manage good groups. I staple a sheet of common typing paper in the middle of the white circle to collect the groups. The target will last as long as the I want it to. I have one I've been using for three years. ~Andrew