Palma brass priming

Kipper

I'll be switching to palma brass soon.

I'm shorter for depriming but had a thought today.

I use a lee hand primer loading large primers but will it still work as per for the small primers given the large hole in the shell holder ? I have a small primers tray.

Good call......I found the Lapua Palma brass to be excellent, and yes, the Lee hand primer works fine.

The hole in the primer shell holder is the same size for both primers. If you look carefully, you'll see that it's the plastic bit that the primers feed up through that fits it.

I use this one now. It's far easier and quicker.   https://www.henrykrank.com/reloading/lee-reloading/priming-tools/lee-auto-bench-prime.html

Pete

So just use the small tray and usual holder ? 

I've been meaning to change over for a while but wanted to kill my current barrel whilst using up my LRP brass. Got 1 more shoot before she is off for the new barrel so swapping brass for new load. Now to decide on staying with N150 or try this RS powder everyone is raving about.

It has to be RS52....no-brainer in 308 with 155grain bullets, especially for 1000yds.

Also excellent for 8 twist 223 with 80grain bullets.

Pete

How does it do with 185s? I run 2 loads. 155 & 185

Have a 223 my son uses for Fclass buts it's a 1/11 running 55grs. I bought it brand new varmint barreled action for £75 so didn't argue... wonder if the guy lost his job lol. 

I never used anything heavier than 155 when I had the 308.......at 3000fps, they were very accurate. I tried SMK 2155's and 2156's, but found that Lapua Scenar's worked best in my rifle. (Swing mk4, 30" Bartlein barrel, set up for F/TR.)

I also tried various primers, but found that Murom KVB-223 Magnums were as good as any, (and cheaper than most...)

Pete

I'm using cci as there easy to find locally and MME bullets. I have a bunch off 155s here so maybe use the 185s up on the 300wm. She is going in for a 30" Broughton 5c 1/10 after the last shoot next month. Finally (maybe) part off my ftr build

18 hours ago, Kipper said:

How does it do with 185s? I run 2 loads. 155 & 185

Have a 223 my son uses for Fclass buts it's a 1/11 running 55grs. I bought it brand new varmint barreled action for £75 so didn't argue... wonder if the guy lost his job lol. 

43.5gr N150 works very well for me under Berger 185 Jugs.  24" 1:11 twist,  excellent at 1000yds.  I use LRP brass in .308, and will continue as my accurate loads aren't so hot as to benefit from SRP.

I may try RS as I use RS62 in my 6.5 Creedmore and it's excellent and so clean (which is SRP Lap brass)