I had a great night playing with my No4 Mk2 and started to get my head around the singer sight, it’s more accurate than I gave it credit for being.

the bullets I am using are literally the cheapest I could buy, probably Sellier Beloit.

What bullets do you guys use?

174gn PPU. worked best with my No4 Longbranch 2 groove.

I did try the 180gn S&B bullets but found the 174gn grouped better when I did the OCW test at 100m and also seemed to stabilised better and were more consistent at distance (300m).

Using Murom LR primers, PPU brass and Vhit N140.

With the exception of my BSA Light Express rifle, I shoot only cast bullets in my 303's. I have several moulds that cast as large as .320" with a .307" nose riding surface. Due to the throat dimensions in most 303's the smallest diameter bullet I shoot is .314".  My No4 MKII with a .310" groove diameter loves these. ~Andrew

(PS: I have a lot of 303s) 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm shooting three different bullets in three different Lee Enfield's.

174gr (.311) Sierra Match Kings in No.4 Mk1/3 Long branch (SR"b") that Fultons put together for me about four years ago, it has a new American Criterion barrel.

174 gr PPU (.311)which due to their cheapness are ideal for SR"a" rapids & snaps at 200 yards. This is for my No.4 Mk2.

BES 174gr (.311) probably the least known bullet of the lot; made by a chap called Malcolm Seller these have a flat base like the original MkVI & MkVII bullets. I originally bought some 220gr round nose from him for a supine .303 match rifle and had some spare when the rifle was sold. A swap with  a friend was done for some of Malcolm's 174gr, more as an experiment that anything else. I was surprised how well they did at 900 yards so purchased some more. I've yet to do a comparison in all three rifles but I thought the flat base worked well in my smellie at the last outing. mseller208@aol.com 

All the above with 41gr's of N140 with the exception of the SMK bullet which goes well with 41.5gr for SR"b" competitions. 

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...

The No4 Mk 2 was designed to fire the following:

The Mark VII loading used a 174 gr (11.28 g) pointed bullet with a flat-base. The .303 British Mark VII cartridge was loaded with 37 gr (2.40 g) of Cordite MDT 5-2 (cordite MD pressed into tubes) and had a muzzle velocity of 2,440 ft/s (744 m/s) and a maximum range of approximately 3,000 yd (2,700 m).

I used to use 174gr (.311) Sierra Match Kings, they seemed to work well enough in all my rifles.

A lot will depend on the amount of bore wear. If worn many people find cast bullets better (As noted by several above). As with any rifle you may have to experiment to find what your rifle likes.

If loading do not try to work out jump or chase the lands, the Lee Enfield have battle chambers and as such in flight meals are normally required before any bullet reaches the lead/rifling.

Whatever Enjoy