Looking for a club to join...

Hi all, it's been a long time since I've posted as I've moved counties, lost my perms since moving and had a been on a bit of a downer due to not being able to shoot because of this covid malarkey. 

I rejoined my previous club and got out for the first time yesterday and spent a few hours getting back in the swing of things with a couple of my rimfire and my benchrest rig, big smiles came back and it was nice to see some old faces. 

Before the lockdown I was going to join Offas Dyke as that was/is the nearest range that has long distance available but was told that all manner of things have happened there over the past few months and that it looks unlikely that anything will get sorted out anytime soon? 

So my question is, does anyone know any LR ranges not too far from Warwickshire and what is the likelihood of OD getting sorted anytime soon? 

Pre lock down I did send in an enquiry to join and got a bit of a snotty email back which wasn't particularly helpful and kind of pissed me off due to its tone. 

Any help would be greatful. 

2 hours ago, Trigger73 said:

So my question is, does anyone know any LR ranges not too far from Warwickshire and what is the likelihood of OD getting sorted anytime soon? 

Pre lock down I did send in an enquiry to join and got a bit of a snotty email back which wasn't particularly helpful and kind of pissed me off due to its tone. 

Any help would be greatful. 

Kingsbury is a 600yd MoD gallery range just off Jct 9 M42.  Nice range and can be a challenge in the wind.

There are other clubs that shoot there apart from ODC.  From my experience a snotty email is par for the course.  Be aware ODC apply (unless recently changed) a rigid 6mnth probation on all new members irrespective of experience/ skill background - which is of course, their prerogative.

If you want to shoot close to Warwick, then Kingsbury is probably the most local decent range to you. A number of clubs shoot there when/if they get the chance.

Offa’s is the obvious choice but not one I’d recommend if you want a cheerful experience 😀

You could try others such as Warwickshire Armourers, Cannock or Solihull clubs, a quick google will reveal details or go via the NRA website links where you might get others that shoot there. 
Failing that, join the NRA and make the slog down to Bisley, always worth the trip in my opinion and you’re close to the M40 anyway.

I'm Milton Keynes and I shoot down at Bisley, it's probably a similar distance for you.  I try and get down twice a month for a two hour morning session, then lunch and then a two hour afternoon session.  Usually takes me about 75mins in the morning to get there and about 2 hours back.

I joined the OSMSC, they shoot pretty much every weekend, and during a month, they will have sessions for everything from 50yds .22/gallery, through 100yds/200yds/300yds/600yds to 1000yds and McQueens.  You would almost certainly have to do a 3 month probation but the only restriction there is you cannot shoot beyond 600yds.  You can use club guns and ammo for any discipline where you need to, there is a club house and they do lunch on shooting days.

Anyway, I think it's the easiest way to shoot at Bisley, friendly enough, and no BS.  PM me if you want to know what it costs and I can tell you what the programme is for the next few weeks and put you in touch.

2 hours ago, nCognitos said:

I'm Milton Keynes and I shoot down at Bisley, it's probably a similar distance for you.  I try and get down twice a month for a two hour morning session, then lunch and then a two hour afternoon session.  Usually takes me about 75mins in the morning to get there and about 2 hours back.

I joined the OSMSC, they shoot pretty much every weekend, and during a month, they will have sessions for everything from 50yds .22/gallery, through 100yds/200yds/300yds/600yds to 1000yds and McQueens.  You would almost certainly have to do a 3 month probation but the only restriction there is you cannot shoot beyond 600yds.  You can use club guns and ammo for any discipline where you need to, there is a club house and they do lunch on shooting days.

Anyway, I think it's the easiest way to shoot at Bisley, friendly enough, and no BS.  PM me if you want to know what it costs and I can tell you what the programme is for the next few weeks and put you in touch.

Much appreciated 👌

It’s my first post so be gentle 🙂 

I’ve been looking for a club to join myself and on the back of this thread I emailed OSMSC yesterday. 

I got a reply this morning and after emailing over the relevant paperwork this afternoon I’m just waiting for Surrey Firearms Licensing to do their part then it’s off to Bisley for me as a Probationary Member. 

From the very , very little that I’ve had to do with OSMSC so far they seem friendly, welcoming and keen on new members. Not something that can always be said for shooting clubs. 

Here’s hoping it’s the start of something good 👍

I believe I am said forum member and if anyone wants to know more about costs, please PM me and I will be as honest as I can be.

There is a good atmosphere, the chap who usually acts as RCO is a diamond, strict on safety but willing to help and teach anything.  The people who turn up regularly are a good bunch as well.

It's probably the least elitist and most approachable club at Bisley and I have not found a better way to take advantage of the facilities at the NSC.

Ive been a member of the OSMSC for a few years now,

A few other points that are worth knowing, Dan ( the Chairman)  often runs "Dans Days" in the week normally 100 Bench sessions on a Friday, theres a monthly? mid week evening session  at Cheylesmore (Gallery rifle) thats just started back up, and the club has close links with a club in NI and try to visit yearly for  a Pistol shooting weekend. They also run several courses First aid, reloading, etc.. and if its your thing a Target Shotgun course and run Target shotgun sessions.

I have been a member of ODRC since the good days. The 'nice' man was ousted in a frankly disgusting manner and his replacement was probably the author of the unhelpful rude reply you got. He was a deeply troubled individual who was very unpleasant to many people and put a lot of noses out of joint. He is no longer at the helm and sadly the club is now rudderless, but is at least no longer running into rocks and heading for a terminally big one. That said if the club can't recruit a friendly and competent person to take on the onerous duties of membership secretary and general secretary it is likely to fold, which would be a great shame as it was a friendly and fun club to be a member of.

I am now a probationary member of Monmouth and District Rifle Club which is booking military ranges including Sennybridge, Warminster and Rogiet Moor. They also have a 100yard indoor range which is great for load development. It is a very friendly club and I have enjoyed all my experiences with them.

I did join the NRA and have shot on Stickledown, Bisley at 1000yards using the electronic targets - it was awesome and I will be back next week! I don't need to be a member of any club to shoot there, though having a SCC issued by a club is good as I believe that the NRA charge like a wounded rhino for the pleasure of testing and issuing one! Once my ODRC ones expires I believe that MDRC will issue one for me :)

On 9/17/2021 at 9:46 AM, Ralpharama said:

I have been a member of ODRC since the good days. The 'nice' man was ousted in a frankly disgusting manner and his replacement was probably the author of the unhelpful rude reply you got. He was a deeply troubled individual who was very unpleasant to many people and put a lot of noses out of joint. He is no longer at the helm and sadly the club is now rudderless, but is at least no longer running into rocks and heading for a terminally big one. That said if the club can't recruit a friendly and competent person to take on the onerous duties of membership secretary and general secretary it is likely to fold, which would be a great shame as it was a friendly and fun club to be a member of.

I am now a probationary member of Monmouth and District Rifle Club which is booking military ranges including Sennybridge, Warminster and Rogiet Moor. They also have a 100yard indoor range which is great for load development. It is a very friendly club and I have enjoyed all my experiences with them.

I did join the NRA and have shot on Stickledown, Bisley at 1000yards using the electronic targets - it was awesome and I will be back next week! I don't need to be a member of any club to shoot there, though having a SCC issued by a club is good as I believe that the NRA charge like a wounded rhino for the pleasure of testing and issuing one! Once my ODRC ones expires I believe that MDRC will issue one for me :)

Thanks Ralph! And yep, I can organise your new SCC as soon as its needed (normally takes 72 hours from ordering to at your door).

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/17/2021 at 9:46 AM, Ralpharama said:

..... as I believe that the NRA charge like a wounded rhino for the pleasure of testing and issuing one!

Perhaps a mildly annoyed rhino, £25 for one discipline, £35 for 2 and £45 for three or more, not bad for a 4 year sign-off!

If you pop along to their shooting club three times, you get it for nothing.

• 3 weeks later...

An interesting thread, and please, if I'm hijacking just say so, as I am looking at the potential for a new club too.  I'm currently a member of Bisley but my "shooting card" expired sometime ago pre covid and needs renewing before I can shoot.  I'm predominantly a deer man and shot at Bisley just to zero really.  Before I throw the towel in with Bisley whats out there?  within 90mins of Bath

My local club, Midsomer Norton Target Shooting Club, has a good number of those with a passion for executing Bambie :lol: We have a fifty metre fullbore tunnel range which the killers use to zero. Much as I love a bit of wild venison I haven't the stomach for chopping up Bambie any more than cooking it or any other food! Love sea food, but think it's nasty smelling stuff until it arrives on my plate :lol: 

It's a fun club with good banter, but political correctness seems to have passed the club by, which in my book is a great thing. Not somewhere for the sensitive new generation that consider 'they' to be a gender and that the humble black board should be outlawed as racist.

Wednesday is club night. Website is rarely disturbed - http://www.mntsc.co.uk/

You clearly like Pink Floyd and bikes .... you'll fit in- there's a good number of bikers, myself included.

If you want an intro then drop me a PM