.300PRC

martin_b

Apologies if this has been covered elswhere but the forum seach function seems a bit sick.

I've put in a variation for a 300prc for shooting out to one mile plus. it will probally have a minimum of a 26inch barrel. Im thinking of using berger hybrids but im unsure as the weight and powder combo.  (I've a prefernece for either Viht or RS as they both seem available at Bisley) any advice or sugestions?

(Oh and the reson Im asking now is I need to put in a large order for some other bits and Im trying to save on carraige!)

I've been using RS76 with Berger hybrid 220 in 300 prc, raw chrono figures (not entirely sure what was going on some of the numbers look too high):

78.5gr 2755 2757 2781 2790 2771

79.0gr 2794 2793 2792 2792 2801

79.5gr 2957 2957 2844 2849 2831

80.0gr 2846 3165 2838 2832 2834

Yes, Bergara Wilderness. No complaints about accuracy but the barrel rusts like no other I've ever owned, so I have to clean it religiously and store it with a swab of oil.

• 4 weeks later...
  1. A rather steep £950,  which buys you the Stainless and Cerakote barrel, the Premier action and a TriggerTech trigger, plus a few other minor upgrades. I think its also assembled in the States which may explain some of the uplift.  Expensive I know but alternative options are few.

• 1 month later...

Not sure yet  as the rifle hasnt arrived yet , but I have fired a 300WinMag with a moderator, and while it was much more noticable than my 6.5CM  it was certainly managable, plus I'll add weight till Im happy, it only has to get from the car to the firing point,  Im not a hunter 🙂

• 2 months later...

Just to wrap this thread up, the Bergara was supposed to arrive early Jan, it didn’t!  Gave up on that and basically thought F*I* buy once cry once. Now I’m have Mik build me a Bernard action, Bartlein barrel, Dolphin Stock single shot 300PRC.  Ive been up to Lincolnshire and seen all the bits so at least I know it exists!  The one compromise i will have to make is to forgo the new scope for a while and use an spare Votex Viper I already have.

• 1 month later...

👍

With regard to powder, I've found N570 has about half the SD of RS76 and viht has loads of published data. The downside is that it has about the same consistency as twiglets

6 hours ago, martin_b said:

Its here 🙂

DSCF1735.JPG

very nice, same chassis and action as my .338LM only I have a Truflite 32" tube.

I use N570, it is impossible to trickle so I use a small scoop (.22lr case trimmed down) to dump into the scale pan, works well.  Then there's tweezers for fine adjustment 😉

14 hours ago, Popsbengo said:

I use N570, it is impossible to trickle so I use a small scoop (.22lr case trimmed down) to dump into the scale pan, works well.  Then there's tweezers for fine adjustment 😉

It trickles OK in my targetmaster though I agree tweezers are good. I also ended up buying an Area 419 mega funnel which is not 100% but much better than a standard one.

56 minutes ago, Mat said:

It trickles OK in my targetmaster though I agree tweezers are good. I also ended up buying an Area 419 mega funnel which is not 100% but much better than a standard one.

I made a stainless steel funnel from a £3:50 Amazon cooking funnel and a bit of turned brass,  works a treat.

• 1 month later...

Had it first real outing @900y this AM, once I sorted the wind things looked promising, I think i might skip load devlopment all together and stick with what I'm using. 

1650712649319.jpg

• 9 months later...
40 minutes ago, martin_b said:

Its fine, more adjustability than I need, I think there is a used Dolphin L/A for sale on SD?

40 minutes ago, martin_b said:

Its fine, more adjustability than I need, I think there is a used Dolphin L/A for sale on SD?

thanks i'll go ad have a look .