Zeroing and finding the right load

Got back into target shooting, and haven't got anywhere to zero and do load development.

I've joined a club and smallest distance is 200yards.

I've got a load recipe and will be loading 5 rounds x10 increasing by .5 grain, and finishing 1.5 gr below maximum.

Considering I'll only have 2 x 15 mins details per range visit, what would you do?

11 hours ago, Popsbengo said:

I suggest you take down your contact info, better and safer in a PM

Probs best to remove them from your quote then 😉

On 8/21/2021 at 9:18 PM, bish789 said:

Considering I'll only have 2 x 15 mins details per range visit, what would you do?

Hmm, that seems odd...only 2x 15 minute details?? Why’s that?

I think you’ll really struggle to do any effective load development in 15mins. I assume you’ll follow the OCW method as you’re upping the charge incrementally. 

in 15mins, I should think you’ll only have enough time to shoot a 5x round group, record your chrono velocity/SD/ES, wait for barrel to cool a bit and shoot a second 5x group before you’re packing up.

Really you need a good amount of time to shoot all your loads in the same session, so wind, temp, humidity, your shooting position and mental attitude are all the same. Otherwise you’re going to introduce other external variables to your load Dev which may skew results.

Why the overly punitive range details of 15mins?

Personally, I think you’d be better served at a different club or think about visiting Bisley or a private range that’ll allow you the time and space so you’re not rushed, to complete your load development.

6 hours ago, GT3_richy said:

Probs best to remove them from your quote then 😉

Oh dear!  Yes done.  Thanks for the nudge

Had you considered paying someone else to do your load development for you?

It could work out cheaper and done to a higher standard than you are capable of. Im not suggesting you aren't capable but I see a really wide spectrum of people who own rifles that struggle with this sort of thing for various reasons. I could highly recommend someone who develops loads for the rifles I build for others, its a very thorough process and you dont just get to see the small groups, you see everything that leads to the final load and the reasoning behind it.

I guess a lot boils down to how much time you have available versus cash your happy to spend and ultimately how good you want the load and the accuracy to be?

On 8/21/2021 at 9:18 PM, bish789 said:

Got back into target shooting, and haven't got anywhere to zero and do load development.

I've got a load recipe and will be loading 5 rounds x10 increasing by .5 grain, and finishing 1.5 gr below maximum.

Why don’t you just go to BISLEY AT BRAIDWOOD – SCOTLAND ?? 
not far from you  in 

Midlem
Nr Selkirk 

its pay and play too , fantastic place .

https://www.bisleyshooting.co.uk/our-grounds-bisley-sporting-group/bisley-at-braidwood/contact/

54 minutes ago, gruntus said:

Hi Bish,

Mortons have a 100 yard indoor range @ Livingston. I spoke with Mortons recently and apparently its going to be opening again in September.

It's members only and fee per hour off usage.. expense day.

I did bisley Braidwood till I found land. Its 2.5hr from St Andrews sadly.  5hrs driving for an hours shooting

On 8/23/2021 at 7:44 AM, Catch-22 said:

Hmm, that seems odd...only 2x 15 minute details?? Why’s that?

I think you’ll really struggle to do any effective load development in 15mins. I assume you’ll follow the OCW method as you’re upping the charge incrementally. 

in 15mins, I should think you’ll only have enough time to shoot a 5x round group, record your chrono velocity/SD/ES, wait for barrel to cool a bit and shoot a second 5x group before you’re packing up.

Really you need a good amount of time to shoot all your loads in the same session, so wind, temp, humidity, your shooting position and mental attitude are all the same. Otherwise you’re going to introduce other external variables to your load Dev which may skew results.

Why the overly punitive range details of 15mins?

Personally, I think you’d be better served at a different club or think about visiting Bisley or a private range that’ll allow you the time and space so you’re not rushed, to complete your load development.

MOD max attendance on range and fitting everybody in changing details etc.