Where to do long range shooting

10 minutes ago, Max Cottage said:

I am looking for a UK range to do some full bore long range shooting, maybe a course or just a range day.

I dont yet have my FAC

Max, I assume you want an FAC from your comments.  If it's target shooting you want then you will have to join a target shooting club, go through probation and meet the necessary safety standards to be made a full member - after that you will be able to apply for an FAC.  Probation is by law, a minimum of three months with regular attendance and demonstration of skill and safety.

Where do you live?

24 minutes ago, Popsbengo said:

Max, I assume you want an FAC from your comments.  If it's target shooting you want then you will have to join a target shooting club, go through probation and meet the necessary safety standards to be made a full member - after that you will be able to apply for an FAC.  Probation is by law, a minimum of three months with regular attendance and demonstration of skill and safety.

Where do you live?

I am currently a probationary member of my local club and will be applying for my FAC in the coming months. I'm looking to do something along the lines of range days/experience such a on www.ukrifleshooting.com but i believe they are now out of business.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated

I live in Essex/London but happy to travel

I'm a club secretary so I have some understanding of target shooting regs.  The UK rules are such as to discourage "have a go" experiences (with the exception of some smallbore ranges).

Non-FAC holders have very limited opportunities to shoot in the UK outside of club organised events.  Your example of www.ukrifleshooting.com would require you to be an FAC holder.  Same with Orion.  FAC with target shooting only endorsed requires the holder to only shoot on properly constructed and insured rifle ranges. The two examples I give are such.

To shoot without an FAC and not with your club you will need to be with someone that has shooting over land rights, and will take you on Estate Rifle terms.  Not likely to be long-range (+500) unless you are very lucky indeed.

I can't see how NRA Bisley can accommodate your needs either, unless you join the NRA as a personal member and do their probation (which is excellent).

Does your club not have the opportunity to book ranges?  If not I recommend you look for an additional club (NRA would be good) that can fulfil your needs.  Be prepared to do another probation.

7 hours ago, GT3_richy said:

Pretty sure WMS do 'have a go' days, albeit probably not cheap https://www.wmsfirearmstraining.com

Where did you hear about ukrifleshooting no longer operating?

Yes, under S16/1  Estate Rifle over land - probably do what the OP wants - good find.

Try East Cornwall Sporting - as in

Bunky's

Don't know if he can let you shoot under 'Estate rifle rules' but it is a venue that I'm definitely going to use for long range

I fancy one of his 1 MOA @ 1 mile patches 🙂

20 hours ago, Max Cottage said:

I live in Essex/London but happy to travel

What club are you a member of?

There are several ranges in the area that go out a long way - StanTA, Barton Road, Bisley, Fingringhoe, to name a few - and most clubs in the area will use one or the other or be partnered with a club that does (if only to keep costs down).

What do you call long distance? If your club only has a 25m range then anything from 100-600 could be considered long. Most of those mentioned can go to at least 600m, Bisley and Barton Rd go out to 1200 and sometimes beyond.

• 3 months later...

As a probationary member under supervision, you can shoot with your club at Bisley up to 600yds, you can't shoot at any longer distances until you are a full member.  Once you are full member with either iron sights or telescopic sights on your SCC, then the world is your lobster and you can shoot 1,000yds with the NRA shooting club pretty much twice every month, assuming you are an NRA member.  Otherwise, its whatever your club organises.  Bisley advertise 1,200 yd practice days which you can sign up for as a member but these are heavily subscribed.

If you know someone at one of the Bisley Clubs, you might get onto a guest day at up to 600yds, my clubs last but one guest day included 600yds but the last one was max 300yds.  For this, you normally have to be invited by a member and they supervise/load for you one to one.  Clubs are allowed 12 guest days a year, (though the NRA are allowed 40), so if you know someone, this might be the easiest way to go to 600yds.

FWIW, I found going 300yds>>600yds>900yds fairly straightforward and something I could manage myself.  Stepping up to 1,000yds was harder and I did need some help/coaching first time out.  

As a full NRA member with a SCC card, you can shoot at any of the distances offered, whenever there are lanes available......the electronic targets make it simple, just book/pay online, rock up and shoot.

The NRA website has a page which gives range/distance availability, week on week.

Pete