Fliers..

martin_b

Guys, what causes fliers you're sure arn't all your fault.

Options as I see it are..

Warn barrel, ( .223 and its nearly fifity years old)

Less than premium reloading compnents.. Im happy the powder weigth is consistant but cant vouch for the rest of the components

Act of god.

41 minutes ago, martin_b said:

Guys, what causes fliers you're sure arn't all your fault.

Options as I see it are..

Warn barrel, ( .223 and its nearly fifity years old)

Less than premium reloading compnents.. Im happy the powder weigth is consistant but cant vouch for the rest of the components

Act of god.

I think you may have answered your own question.  "less than premium components".

It was either going faster/slower or wobbled in flight different to the average.  Did it have a 'windage' component or just an elevation deviation?  Statistical outlier from an otherwise acceptable average of less than optimum ammo?  

Gravitational waves from a binary black-hole?  😉

Any except an act of god - that's metaphysical and not consistent with physics and ballistics.

12 hours ago, Kalahari said:

How many "fliers" in a group of how many? If it just the very odd one it might be operator error. Please accept I am not trying to be either offensive or a smart@rse.

David.

No offense taken.  e

Yesterday at 300Y on the electronics at Bisley in a  set of  10 shots I'd get 8 or 9 within the 5 ring  but one or two out in 3's or further, ( and scattered not just vertical stringing).

The reason I dont think its me was I was using a Dolphin trakker bipod and a rear bag so a pretty stable base. When I pull shots with my other rifles generally I know Ive done it and they dont go that far off point of aim.  Other people have experienced the same issue.

1 minute ago, martin_b said:

No offense taken.  e

Yesterday at 300Y on the electronics at Bisley in a  set of  10 shots I'd get 8 or 9 within the 5 ring  but one or two out in 3's or further, ( and scattered not just vertical stringing).

The reason I dont think its me was I was using a Dolphin trakker bipod and a rear bag so a pretty stable base. When I pull shots with my other rifles generally I know Ive done it and they dont go that far off point of aim.  Other people have experienced the same issue.

In my experience when a barrel starts to show signs of coming to the end of its accurate life it behaves as you describe. The more you continue to shoot it the higher the percentage of flyers become.

If it was just generally random then you could look at the components or the shooter but from what you describe it sounds more like the barrel to me. 

As I said earlier, the fact your barrel is 50yrs old might have something to do with it. If you did a 100yd load development on the rifle with quality components and the barrel is on its way out then it will show the same traits as you describe at 300yds. Its a quick and easy way to establish where you are at.

I recently rebarreled an FClass rifle for a competent shooter who wins a lot. He came to me with a barrel he had fitted elsewhere that would consistently throw a couple of flyers in a 20 shot string under conditions that he would normally be holding the 10 ring and he wasted a year persevering with it, he had other rifles to use as well but every time he came back to that gun it would let him down in the way you describe.  In the end he gave up.

I had similar on the electronic a few weeks ago. 3 different types of ammunition, two factory and my reloads. I half suspect occasionally it is me but you cannot see the holes in the paper so it could be erratic sensors….

I was ammo testing this morning with an f class rig..

It was miraging which is a pain as the target appears to be moving..

I watched myself pull a couple shots snatching at the trigger.. 7mm saum 184gr hybrids 5 shots

Driver error I'm afraid 

20210815_142115.jpg

Still not too shabby mate. I’d take it ……

well the second one 😁😁

I did similar. Mik re barrelled my .223 with a 1-7 Bartieln. A couple of weeks ago. He asked me to let him know if it’s a shooter. After I zeroed I only had one target left that had been kicking about in the back the truck for weeks. 
first shot I was caught out by new trigger haha next beautiful. Still sent to Mik. I won’t repeat his response 😳

5FCCA455-554D-4B12-8171-CB7D91C6A3B2.jpeg

7D4DF7E5-D4EE-41A2-827B-4B74E20F8DB3.jpeg

I've not got around to getting a 223.. it looks like a shooter...

Not bad for Mik 😅.

He screwed on a new to me  second hand 6.4x47 barrel I bought from rangerunner on ukv..

The throating is a little shorter than my previous one but it shoots 140gr amaxs and 140gr hybrids like a dream.

The one thing I haven't seen mentioned is a  good cleaning all copper removed and see how that works. IMO the causes mentioned above are on the money and it can be all of them lets hope its easy to figure out.☠️