Which AR style 22 semi?

srvet

I have been developing an itch for an AR15 style semi auto for informal target and occasional bunny bashing. My criteria are for all metal construction, a threaded barrel with all features being functional rather than just decorative… I tried a Hammerli R1 and the fake mag release and forward bolt assist really annoyed me. Function with subsonic would be really useful
From my investigations so far the Tippman Arms seems to be ground zero but what about other brands like CMMG, Kriss, Southern Gun Company and Lantac with regards to quality, reliability, accuracy etc. Anyone’s experience would be appreciated! I probably won’t be purchasing this year but it is as well to be informed in advance. 
many thanks

S

Bradley Arms is the Holy Grail of AR22’s

The originals come up every now and again, although I haven’t seen any advertised I am pretty sure Mark set up a chap to continue the business and produce AR’s in his guise.

@brown doghas an amazingly accurate Bradley AR22  

I would like a .22lr version of the Q Honey Badger to compliment my Fix. You have pipped my interest again. Although my next purchase will be a Tikka T1X to put in a Sako TRG stock I have hanging about. 

Thanks Scotch, fortunately I have a son who is thinking of buying the T1x trainer so I can buy more frivolous things 🤣

An AR 22 just looks soooo much fun 😁

Whatever you get make sure it is millspec ,the tipman looks like an AR but it won’t take any other upper than it’s own ,they are machined deliberately that way .

Of the Ar rifles I have had 

spikes tactical 

two maybe three southern guns

low mill ranges / bar machined upper 

double star lower east Tactical soliutions upper 

they are all about the same and a sub good as the parts put in them 

yes a good smith will know how to choose and assemble said parts but unless they are billet upper lower sets not sure it makes a huge difference 

Got a Tippmann. I don't think i would recommend it although many owners seam very happy with them. Giving up on AR types and building a ruger 10/22 again so may well be a Tippmann for sale by end of year.

14 minutes ago, outlanda said:

Got a Tippmann. I don't think i would recommend it although many owners seam very happy with them. Giving up on AR types and building a ruger 10/22 again so may well be a Tippmann for sale by end of year.

What issues have you had if you don’t mind me asking? Or is it just the AR platform you dislike? 

Dellboys advice is good - get Baldie to build one.  I would have a good google and come up with your preferred component list. If you have a look at my mpx thread in tactical I knew what gucci bits and pieces I wanted and binned the originals. With a ground up build you save some money by just getting the parts you want. Highly recommend the Odin ambi - extended mag release, Lancer carbon forend and Raptor Radian charging handle. On a 22lr I would go Trigger Tech. Magpul are obvious for the stock.

Helps to have an idea of barrel length and suppressor and how it works with the handguard - eg integral or not. For example a 14” carbon forend  looks good with a 12” barrel  and 6” carbon suppressor- inside the forend. If it’s not your thing a tuner on a longer barrel. Match chamber?

I would also think about what you prefer in regards to billet vs forged upper and lowers. I would want 7075 alloy.

I would have a look at the JP rifles website ( USA) for inspiration (top drawer Ar15’s) and then have a discussion or two with Baldie. 

38 minutes ago, srvet said:

What issues have you had if you don’t mind me asking? Or is it just the AR platform you dislike? 

I like the AR platform and decided Tippmann was way to go. Disappointed i started looking at a replacement AR even. Have since learned i need to be spending 2K to be sure of something decent. Maybe a bolt gun but not on a toy. $500 or less in US and that's how it shoots. Unique bolt design makes it feel like a springer air rifle. I liked the mag design at first; the 10 round mag drives me mad. Takes longer to load than shoot it. I dont care for authenticity, function more important. A bog standard out the box 10/22 will match Tippmann performance and with a few tweaks would be a better option; i think for me anyway. I would like to find the best AR .22lr s/a so interested in comments on this thread and thank any one sharing their experience. Apart from odd lucky find, i don't believe the ultimate AR exists in the 1K budget hence why i looking at alternatives. This budget will build a decent 10/22 

As scotch said, Mark put together a BAR22 for me a few years back. I also spec’d a Geiselle trigger in it; the thing is insanely accurate, as good as a bolt rifle.   And rifles in this format definitely have an undefinable grin factor, that I’ve never felt from 1022s etc.👍

Thanks for all the replies, lots to think about. I’m not sure I will spring for the ultimate system AR15 but having the flexibility to add a 223 upper makes sense though

Srvet

the ability to add a 223 ( or whatever) upper is a useful option.

I had a Bradley and concur with BD, very accurate and fun. The plastic S&W’s certainly work and the tacticool guys like them but they do not feel right.

I sold my Bradley and regretted it.

Had another built with barrel of my choice and chamber end cut into the barrel , some of the CMMG’s have a floating ring/extractor groove setup I did not like (NB it does work though). Drop in a good trigger and find the ammo it likes and you’re off to the races 👌

54975DA2-4D3C-4C64-ADD5-910CA7334630.jpeg.401412525fc6541924bb5180146ffc0a.jpeg

No - the light is for mini rifle in the dark stages 😎

I fired a Milazzo -Krieger   ( https://wisconsintrigger.com/ ) which I believe was the original match trigger for AR’s and now being made again by the Wisconsin trigger Co.

Ive also used Geissele triggers ( https://geissele.com/rifle-parts/lower-parts/triggers.html  which are based on the MK) and they are very good.

But there are now a slew of drop in options.

Hello,

Have a look at Aero Precision M4E1 upper and lower. It has the forward assist but you don’t need to install the pusher. 
Aero hand guard too is nice.. Better mag adapter for use of the S&W mags.

You can get a .223 upper too. Aero bits are all .223 based and mil spec. 

Lots of trigger options. I use a CMC single stage. 
CMMG bolt group and 16” barrel gives 1/2 at 50m all day long. 
I had Gavin at Brownells make mine or you can use Oto from cotswold classics arms.  Or if you have lots of money ask Oto for a Battle Arms rifle.
Oto can pencil your barrel and fit a carbon sleeve for weight reduction. It is still accurate too.   

You can make a big saving and wait for a Black Friday deals on Aero bits from Brownells.  Brownells offer a lifetime warranty too. 
ps. Aero make spikes and a few other brands. Aero Precision used to be an aerospace company but found they have more business with AR’s 

Good luck Phil 

On 8/16/2021 at 11:41 PM, pwinnall said:

Hello,

Have a look at Aero Precision M4E1 upper and lower. It has the forward assist but you don’t need to install the pusher. 
Aero hand guard too is nice.. Better mag adapter for use of the S&W mags.

You can get a .223 upper too. Aero bits are all .223 based and mil spec. 

Lots of trigger options. I use a CMC single stage. 
CMMG bolt group and 16” barrel gives 1/2 at 50m all day long. 
I had Gavin at Brownells make mine or you can use Oto from cotswold classics arms.  Or if you have lots of money ask Oto for a Battle Arms rifle.
Oto can pencil your barrel and fit a carbon sleeve for weight reduction. It is still accurate too.   

You can make a big saving and wait for a Black Friday deals on Aero bits from Brownells.  Brownells offer a lifetime warranty too. 
ps. Aero make spikes and a few other brands. Aero Precision used to be an aerospace company but found they have more business with AR’s 

Good luck Phil 

What barrel have you fitted, interested in 1/2" groups at 50m. Thank you.

Steve 

Hello Steve,  

It’s a standard 16” CMMG barrel with eley ammo.

Do you have a muzzle brake fitted?  They can open up the groups.

speak to Oto, at classic arms. He has done lots of research to get the optimal accuracy.

thanks Phil  

35 minutes ago, pwinnall said:

Hello Steve,  

It’s a standard 16” CMMG barrel with eley ammo.

Do you have a muzzle brake fitted?  They can open up the groups.

speak to Oto, at classic arms. He has done lots of research to get the optimal accuracy.

thanks Phil  

Thank you Phil. I use a sound moderator  not a muzzle break on my Tippmann and 1" at 50yds is more the normal. I have made some progress with it now. I have gone back to the Eley Action i started with and 150 rounds no stoppages so far. I have been following this thread and very interested in the Cotswold build, i have tried to email Oto from website and wasn't successful.

Thank you

Steve   

14 hours ago, outlanda said:

Thank you Phil. I use a sound moderator  not a muzzle break on my Tippmann and 1" at 50yds is more the normal. I have made some progress with it now. I have gone back to the Eley Action i started with and 150 rounds no stoppages so far. I have been following this thread and very interested in the Cotswold build, i have tried to email Oto from website and wasn't successful.

Thank you

Steve   

Hello Steve,

I have spoken with Oto,  here is his email address. I will send his mobile to you by PM.

oto@cotswoldclassicarms.co.uk

thanks Phil 

10 hours ago, pwinnall said:

Hello Steve,

I have spoken with Oto,  here is his email address. I will send his mobile to you by PM.

oto@cotswoldclassicarms.co.uk

thanks Phil 

Good evening Phil.

Thank you for your help. I am going to contact Oto and see what he can do. I have made some progress with the Tippmann but i cannot see it achieving 1/2" at 50yds with some work and that costs so will replace probably end of year to give Tippmann every chance. Also not a good time for a variation in Devon and Cornwall right now.

Cheers

Steve   

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/8/2021 at 9:41 AM, srvet said:

I have been developing an itch for an AR15 style semi auto for informal target and occasional bunny bashing. My criteria are for all metal construction, a threaded barrel with all features being functional rather than just decorative… I tried a Hammerli R1 and the fake mag release and forward bolt assist really annoyed me. Function with subsonic would be really useful
From my investigations so far the Tippman Arms seems to be ground zero but what about other brands like CMMG, Kriss, Southern Gun Company and Lantac with regards to quality, reliability, accuracy etc. Anyone’s experience would be appreciated! I probably won’t be purchasing this year but it is as well to be informed in advance. 
many thanks

S

The R1 is not that good and the Kriss is quirky and a bugger to cock until you know how to do it, even then it's no AR in terms of shootability. Have not shot an SGC or a CMMG in a long time, so I reckon it's the Tippman. However, and put your hate of plastic on hold for a moment, the S&W 15/22 is quite some rifle, I've had one for 8-years and it's all tricked up: Cerkote FDE finish, Magpul furniture, etc, etc and it's a shooter. Very reliable and a good little rabbit basher, with Winchester 42-grain MAX subs, even out to 100 yards for body shots, plus great fun as a plinker and it scratches an itch as I come from the time before the SLR ban.