Flash-Over incident using Hornady Hand Primer

Scrumbag

Hi folks,

Had a small scare the other day whilst reloading that might be a helpful reminder to people to keep safe and follow your procedures not being sloppy. Primer popped when being seated and flashed over into try causing other primers to detonate.

This happened using a Hornady Hand Primer

My set-up post incident

hmaMYMWl.jpg

Close-up of hand primer – not sure where rest of pieces are.

zLfRUjvl.jpg

Close-up of “flashed” primers (Note empty but dented cups)

Mu5NzK3l.jpg

And this is the resulting cuts to hand – fortunately they seem superficial. Blast also blew my glasses off my face and they landed ~6 feet away.

NAa0kSel.jpg

Fortunately I was wearing latex gloves so some protection.

Be careful folks and wear your eye protection.

(Just in case people are interested, didn’t notice anything different from usual. Cases were PPU factory on ~4th firing. Primers were Federal Large Pistol. Cases had been sonic cleaned and primer pockets checked prior to priming and I’d primed ~50 that session. This process has served me fine for ~3 years of loading)

Best wishes,

Scrummy

1 hour ago, Scrumbag said:

Hi folks,

Had a small scare the other day whilst reloading that might be a helpful reminder to people to keep safe and follow your procedures not being sloppy. Primer popped when being seated and flashed over into try causing other primers to detonate.

This happened using a Hornady Hand Primer

My set-up post incident

hmaMYMWl.jpg

Close-up of hand primer – not sure where rest of pieces are.

zLfRUjvl.jpg

Close-up of “flashed” primers (Note empty but dented cups)

Mu5NzK3l.jpg

And this is the resulting cuts to hand – fortunately they seem superficial. Blast also blew my glasses off my face and they landed ~6 feet away.

NAa0kSel.jpg

Fortunately I was wearing latex gloves so some protection.

Be careful folks and wear your eye protection.

(Just in case people are interested, didn’t notice anything different from usual. Cases were PPU factory on ~4th firing. Primers were Federal Large Pistol. Cases had been sonic cleaned and primer pockets checked prior to priming and I’d primed ~50 that session. This process has served me fine for ~3 years of loading)

Best wishes,

Scrummy

Wow! Glad you’re OK.

maximus otter

Bloody hell 😯 glad to hear your ok apart from the cuts in your pics , there heal though 👍

while I have never had this happen to me , I have had lots of times where primers have got themselves snagged up and  been crushed when using my RCBS auto prime i often thought this could happen, you just take it for granted until you see something like this . A great reminder.

I now use one of these 3F2F1F68-30E9-48DC-9180-FBCA920DFC3B.jpeg.b590ab84d9dbbd67b1e62c8fb8b6da43.jpeg

and feel much happier. 

2 hours ago, SMLE said:

Thank goodness you’re ok!

A sobering reminder to wear safety glasses. I keep a pair at my loading bench all the time.

Crumbs that was a close shave - glad you're ok and thanks for sharing this important lesson.   +1 for eye protection, I use properly designed safety glasses, they're cheap and easy to get hold of.

We were only discussing the same in the butts at Thorpe today,  a very timely reminder.   Also, for primer tubes on bench presses it's worthwhile to clean them out every now and again, I was surprised at the ship that came out on a alcohol wetted patch.

• 2 months later...

Hi , not been on this site for a while, so hence the late response to this thead. 

As mentioned above, lots of warnings re Federal primers in hand held primer applicators. I use CCI primers in my hand held unit, but I have to use Federal for my 45-70 as the CCI ones regularly fail to go off. For the Federal I prime with the Lee ram prime which uses one primer at a time as recommended, so no chance of igniting the rest.

Miseryguts in dark damp Monmouthshire