6.5 creedmoor - 139 scenars vs. Hornady 140 eld’s

SMLE

I’ve used 139 scenars in my creedmoor for ages now and have a great and accurate load. However, I’ve been offered 400 Hornady 140g eld’s by a friend at what can only be described as a great price and not wishing to look a gift horse in the mouth, I’m very tempted.

I really can’t be bothered with load development again just for this batch of bullets and just wondered if others have seen any significant difference between the two designs (other than dimensions of course) for the same powder and charge. I suspect the change will be small, faster probably and the mutt behind the butt will be the greater variable. 24” barrel, 1:8 twist, RS62 powder, usually shooting 1000 yards.

Any real life experience will be appreciated.

14 hours ago, SMLE said:

I’ve used 139 scenars in my creedmoor for ages now and have a great and accurate load. However, I’ve been offered 400 Hornady 140g eld’s by a friend at what can only be described as a great price and not wishing to look a gift horse in the mouth, I’m very tempted.

I really can’t be bothered with load development again just for this batch of bullets and just wondered if others have seen any significant difference between the two designs (other than dimensions of course) for the same powder and charge. I suspect the change will be small, faster probably and the mutt behind the butt will be the greater variable. 24” barrel, 1:8 twist, RS62 powder, usually shooting 1000 yards.

You cant change something as significant as the bullet and not have to do the load development again, unless you have a very poor accuracy requirement. Accuracy can come and go between different batches of the same bullet never mind a different bullet entirely.

The bergers haven't got a ballistic tip so they're likely to be a tiny bit shorter.

I think I have loads of room in the AI mag. The 6.5x47 is about 1mm shorter case than the creedmoor.

As target bullets go berger are undoubtedly the best copper jacketed bullets made.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/1/2021 at 8:58 AM, SMLE said:

Yes I offered the 140elds but some of the accuracy difference is down to rifling and quality as the Howa and Tikka have same 1in 8 but my Tik Tac A1 6.5 creedmoor will work very well with 147elds sub moa at 1000yds and out to 1 mile no problem  but as you know smle the Howa dont like it up em, I use RS70 find the pressures are lower and still get high 26s in velocity with 147elds with loads well within limits just bit better for that long distance shot and less wind disturbance as for the scenars v elds its down to preference and rifle quality dont get me wrong nothing wrong with Howa 1500s but Tikka has the legs for distance and accuracy

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Jeffo1960 said:

Just bought some of  Berger 144 hybrids,to try

There very good with really repeatable results, don’t scrimp on your case prep and your get results .

After this weekend of load development I have finally settled on 44.4 grn RS 62 with 10 thou jump , with a return of 2805 FPS and SD of 3 

2 hours ago, Jeffo1960 said:

Just bought some of  Berger 144 hybrids,to try

Excellent choice,  I use with RS62, 44gr and 10' jump.  2840fps from 30" 1:8 barrel.  Single hole zero at 100yd.   600yd 10 shot group at Bisley last week in the pic.  Excellent at 900 too.

IMG_3046.jpeg