22rf at longer ranges - what have you found?

Gents,

Any pointers here, looking at using 22rf at longer ranges. 

I've shoot once with the GB F class folks at 300yard a week after getting my rifle, fun but was really in the dark Had an invite to a comp between the DRA and LRRFC at Thorne range which was 200, 300 & 500 yards.

At 200 and 300 I felt I was 'in control' i.e. driving the rifle and scope = predictable results. but at 500 yards it was more area aim i.e. you tried to stay in the 4 ring and not chase each shot.

Think the rifle and ammunition had been more sorted between the initial foray at 300 and this competition and I was not too far off the boil.

Anyone else played with 22rf at distance? What have you found? tips welcomed. Is my experience in the jump to 500 typical?

Cheers

Terry 

14 hours ago, Andrew said:

I have shot to 497 with 22LR. At that distance the wind is the larger problem; any puff of breeze will kill you. Get a 40 MOA rail if you haven't already.~Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Concur, the little experience I've had so far and the wind is very much 'it'.

I've a put a EraTac adjustable mount on my rifle so I can add up to 70moa in 10moa steps in addition to the existing 20moa rail on the action so the 500 yards was covered, 70 moa on the mount + 30 moa on the scope. I've carried out a quick mount adjustment vs results on target and the 40moa at 100 should give 41.88", measured move in group 41.75+/- so more than good enough to get you on paper.

Thus:

EraTac.thumb.jpg.c09a501423b9d8d609750f496ef71767.jpg