Offa's Dyke - Where now?

As many on here are, I am a member of ODRC.

I am a pretty good judge of character as is essential when you are long term self employed. When i first met John I saw him as a thoroughly good egg and a gentleman to boot. When I was informed by Mr Wheeler and his cohorts that Johns was robbing the club blind I found this hard to believe and I have had it confirmed by someone in the know that, whilst bean counting wasn't his strong point, he was massively honest and had no reason to rob a club. Isn't it strange that once he was ousted that we no longer had any regular shoots. Hmm. The club didn't keep up the MOD license they were required to, but they blamed that on John even though it happened after he left and had never lapsed while he was at the helm. hmm. 

Moving on it now seems that the club is now persona non-gratis not only with the NRA but also various parts of the MOD and Landmark. Great

According to the website the club now has no secretary nor membership secretary and communication seems to be at an all time low. Great

Unfortunately, being self employed, I really don't have the time to volunteer, nor if I'm honest the knowledge or skills required to take on the job(s). I wonder if another club with the skills and/or infrastructure could take it under their wing? Or is there someone out there who is retired who could bring it back from the ashes? Could anyone beg John to come back and save what was a wonderful club? No one would blame him for telling the club to PO or even FO, but perhaps if all the AHs could be extricated then perhaps it could become the great club it once was?

I personally have joined Monmouth and District Rifle Club which seems on the face of it to be a very well run and friendly club and will compliment the other clubs I am a member of, but I would be very sad to see ODRC die. I've met some lovely people at ODRC shoots. Am I alone?      

Ralph

Agree all you say.... no way John was a scammer.

I attended many ODRC shoots firstly as a member then as a reciprocal arrangement via FCSA.

FCSA are willing to book Warminster etc but lack local RCOs.

With the loss of Salisbury Plain I was very much hoping to shoot ar IR2 , Rogiet Moor , Sennybridge etc with ODRC.

If there are RCOs within former ODRC ranks then it would seem sensible to talk with FCSA (Chris Stevenson) about combining efforts in the South, Wales and Midlands.

FCSA is likely to become very North-centric so this could be a very good fit for all concerned.

I don't know details about ODRC falling foul of the MOD nor do I want to rake over the politics and personalities in the fight but clearly any joint effort with FCSA would need to exclude anyone involveddirectly in the fracas.

Your thougnts and perhaps any trustworthy ODRC contacts that might be interested?

I too knew John M., only briefly, in my opinion he is a thoroughly decent chap.  These are strong accusations that you report - that Wheeler et-al accuse John of theft.  Is that actually first hand knowledge or just rumour ?

I was briefly a member of Offa's,  the retirement of John M. and the interactions with S. Wheeler convinced me to go elsewhere.  Pity as some members are still mates.

I'm a current club secretary and I've been a club treasurer amongst a multitude of club officer roles including range bookings officer for DIO ranges,  it's admin heavy and some of the paperwork can overwhelm a person unused to admin/management.  None of it is rocket science.

3 hours ago, Popsbengo said:

I too knew John M., only briefly, in my opinion he is a thoroughly decent chap.  These are strong accusations that you report - that Wheeler et-al accuse John of theft.  Is that actually first hand knowledge or just rumour ?

I was briefly a member of Offa's,  the retirement of John M. and the interactions with S. Wheeler convinced me to go elsewhere.  Pity as some members are still mates.

I'm a current club secretary and I've been a club treasurer amongst a multitude of club officer roles including range bookings officer for DIO ranges,  it's admin heavy and some of the paperwork can overwhelm a person unused to admin/management.  None of it is rocket science.

I understand that it wasn't only Wheeler at fault, though I don't know who the others were, but they did threaten to involve the police. I was given the information by a very reliable source. Wheeler told anyone who was willing to listen that John was a demon.

Wheeler was most unpleasant to both myself and a number of my friends. My only first hand gripes are from his rudeness and handing out spurious accusations. Anyone who is a member will have received his emails .... and will know that he generally denied receiving communications. 

On 7/22/2021 at 1:58 PM, DaveT said:

Ralph

Agree all you say.... no way John was a scammer.

I attended many ODRC shoots firstly as a member then as a reciprocal arrangement via FCSA.

FCSA are willing to book Warminster etc but lack local RCOs.

With the loss of Salisbury Plain I was very much hoping to shoot ar IR2 , Rogiet Moor , Sennybridge etc with ODRC.

If there are RCOs within former ODRC ranks then it would seem sensible to talk with FCSA (Chris Stevenson) about combining efforts in the South, Wales and Midlands.

FCSA is likely to become very North-centric so this could be a very good fit for all concerned.

I don't know details about ODRC falling foul of the MOD nor do I want to rake over the politics and personalities in the fight but clearly any joint effort with FCSA would need to exclude anyone involveddirectly in the fracas.

Your thougnts and perhaps any trustworthy ODRC contacts that might be interested?

If we can get the RCO's and there is the demand we will book IR2, however we do not wish to poach members from local clubs that use IR2 or occupy the limited available bookings.

Salisbury Plain is a big loss, it was our most popular shoot, targets as far as the eye could see, all put out by a worryingly keen team, reasonable distance for a lot of our club members and great fun.

FCSA (UK) is and allways be national, we are booking Hythe on a monthly basis whilst the sea wall at Lydd is being rebuilt, when that is rebuilt we shall book Serial 45 as usual, we will also still book Hythe now and again for some fun stuff.

Chris has just been on a range recce elsewhere, however this is a longer term possiblity and would happen after Wacop and Senny have come back into use.

Darren

Secretary FCSA (UK)

Offas' club members need to be aware that if the club doesn't have a range available to use their FAC conditions maybe compromised.  Home Office regs require a club to identify their regular ranges, be it owned, rented or booked on a regular basis.

I do hope this is all a storm in a teacup and all will be sorted out amicably.

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Marc Gardner said:

We are back up and running if we can help in anyway phone or email helen.gardnersguns@gmail.com 

Very nice for those living in the far north of England or Scotland, but sadly far to far away for the vast majority of Offa's Dyke members. I personally could not afford the diesel to get to Scotland from Somerset for a day's shooting, gorgeous though it looks.

Fortunately, I have joined Monmouth and District Rifle Club who are super friendly and welcoming and are booking military ranges. They are the saviour for disenfranchised ODRC members.

I was a member of Monmouth and District RC before I joined ODRC.  I liked John.  Sure, he was usually late for shoots bu he was friendly, welcoming and courteous.  Then things changed.

When all these rumours and accusations about JM kicked off, I wrote to the treasurer, as a member, asking for a copy of the accounts.  I did this twice but never got a reply.  What's happened is a great shame because I used to realy enjoy my dsys out with ODRC.  Among other things, I'd like to know what's happened to the money both before and after JM left.

1 hour ago, Plecotus said:

I was a member of Monmouth and District RC before I joined ODRC.  I liked John.  Sure, he was usually late for shoots bu he was friendly, welcoming and courteous.  Then things changed.

When all these rumours and accusations about JM kicked off, I wrote to the treasurer, as a member, asking for a copy of the accounts.  I did this twice but never got a reply.  What's happened is a great shame because I used to realy enjoy my dsys out with ODRC.  Among other things, I'd like to know what's happened to the money both before and after JM left.

I have talked to those who actually know what happened, with no axe to grind, and the reality is that JM was not the greatest with paper work, which I can relate to, but the reality was that no money nor ammo had gone missing, despite the accusations. Now his accusers have buggered the club, it remains to seen what will happen to the club funds and assets if someone with time and expertise doesn't rescue the club from the ashes it seems to be burning in. I so hope someone does rescue the club though because with John at the helm it was a great club. 

JM Wasn't the reason why I asked to see the accounts.  I never believed for one moment he'd been doing anythign untoward.  My request was some time after he departed.  There's been a lot of subscription income gone in since he went and very little shooting.  I'd quite like to know what's happened to it, as some of it was mine!. 

BTW, are you the chap that sold my mate Jamie the Discovery?

1 hour ago, Plecotus said:

JM Wasn't the reason why I asked to see the accounts.  I never believed for one moment he'd been doing anythign untoward.  My request was some time after he departed.  There's been a lot of subscription income gone in since he went and very little shooting.  I'd quite like to know what's happened to it, as some of it was mine!. 

BTW, are you the chap that sold my mate Jamie the Discovery?

I had a few Land Rover products many, many years ago but I'm too old to push cars now 😂 so no, not guilty 🤣

Assuming you're still with MDRC, hopefully I'll see you on the shooting point / butts at some point :) I have an elderly Merc ML

9 hours ago, Ralpharama said:

Very nice for those living in the far north of England or Scotland, but sadly far to far away for the vast majority of Offa's Dyke members. I personally could not afford the diesel to get to Scotland from Somerset for a day's shooting, gorgeous though it looks.

Fortunately, I have joined Monmouth and District Rifle Club who are super friendly and welcoming and are booking military ranges. They are the saviour for disenfranchised ODRC members.

On 8/9/2021 at 1:50 PM, Ralpharama said:

I had a few Land Rover products many, many years ago but I'm too old to push cars now 😂 so no, not guilty 🤣

Assuming you're still with MDRC, hopefully I'll see you on the shooting point / butts at some point :) I have an elderly Merc ML

Sorry for the late reply - I missed this. 

I've had my Defender for five years now and not had a single issue with it thus far - apart from where a rat decided to chew through a moulded fitting on the plastic fuel taknk.   That was a pain but I can't blame Land Rover for that!!

Yes, I'm still a member of MDRC - it's my main club and Adam, the Membership Secretary is a veyr good mate of mine and I'm one of the RCOs there too so I'm sure we'll bump into each other sooner or later. 

29 minutes ago, Plecotus said:

Sorry for the late reply - I missed this. 

I've had my Defender for five years now and not had a single issue with it thus far - apart from where a rat decided to chew through a moulded fitting on the plastic fuel taknk.   That was a pain but I can't blame Land Rover for that!!

Yes, I'm still a member of MDRC - it's my main club and Adam, the Membership Secretary is a veyr good mate of mine and I'm one of the RCOs there too so I'm sure we'll bump into each other sooner or later. 

All the RCOs I've met at MDRC have been great chaps and Adam is a credit to the club - very nice, friendly and efficient bloke; the antithesis of Mr W !

I have always had a love/hate relationship with Land Rover. I loved the early Range Rovers and had two (early two door and a D reg four door Vogue EFI) I also had a long wheelbase '70s 'Safari' followed by a 110 'County' - before they called them Defenders! The 110 diesel was flat out on the the level at 50mph and couldn't even manage that on a slope! In fairness it was very reliable. I think it is the newer 'discos' and 'range rovers' etc that have garnered a bad rep for reliability. They do seem to hold their money much better than the Mercs. One major contributor to my buying decision :)

Maybe see you on Saturday? 

3 hours ago, Ralpharama said:

All the RCOs I've met at MDRC have been great chaps and Adam is a credit to the club - very nice, friendly and efficient bloke; the antithesis of Mr W !

I have always had a love/hate relationship with Land Rover. I loved the early Range Rovers and had two (early two door and a D reg four door Vogue EFI) I also had a long wheelbase '70s 'Safari' followed by a 110 'County' - before they called them Defenders! The 110 diesel was flat out on the the level at 50mph and couldn't even manage that on a slope! In fairness it was very reliable. I think it is the newer 'discos' and 'range rovers' etc that have garnered a bad rep for reliability. They do seem to hold their money much better than the Mercs. One major contributor to my buying decision :)

Maybe see you on Saturday? 

Thank you for your kind words about the RCO team.  We do our best.  I can't claim any personal credit though because I've hardly done anyhting this year for various reasons but hopefully, that will change as my summer work season comes to a close.

Adam is a star, he really is.  He's a real mover and shaker in the village community too.  He's just one of those people who makes things happen.  Don't tell him I said that though - we'll never get his head through the door.  I've known him for a long time - I'm not quite in the same village as he is but the village pub, when it was open at least, was the only one I could walk to and it's a short crawl from his door.

I've had a number of RR and Discoverys over the years but that was mostly in the days when I was taking the corporate shilling and someone else was picking up the maintenance bills 🙂  I run my own small business now and sold olf my 2016 RR Sport earlier this year so my business fleet with be the Defender and a new Transit Custom Trail which is, apparently, being delivered tomorrow. 

I won't be there on Saturday I'm afraid.  I'm heading up to Callow End, attending a small blues festival for the weekend.  It will be my first music festival in almost two years and I am really looking forward to it.

• 1 month later...
On 8/16/2021 at 3:18 PM, Plecotus said:

Thank you for your kind words about the RCO team.  We do our best.  I can't claim any personal credit though because I've hardly done anyhting this year for various reasons but hopefully, that will change as my summer work season comes to a close.

Adam is a star, he really is.  He's a real mover and shaker in the village community too.  He's just one of those people who makes things happen.  Don't tell him I said that though - we'll never get his head through the door.  I've known him for a long time - I'm not quite in the same village as he is but the village pub, when it was open at least, was the only one I could walk to and it's a short crawl from his door.

I've had a number of RR and Discoverys over the years but that was mostly in the days when I was taking the corporate shilling and someone else was picking up the maintenance bills 🙂  I run my own small business now and sold olf my 2016 RR Sport earlier this year so my business fleet with be the Defender and a new Transit Custom Trail which is, apparently, being delivered tomorrow. 

I won't be there on Saturday I'm afraid.  I'm heading up to Callow End, attending a small blues festival for the weekend.  It will be my first music festival in almost two years and I am really looking forward to it.

Ha ha - caught the positive comments and feedback!

Genuinely thank you all gents for the positive words. We (well, me) are still getting used to the faff of dealing with the MoD/Landmarc, and coupled with the whole 'rona situation, its been a little hit and miss this year - but next year we should be well prepared! As others have said, its a time consuming task organising bookings, and even more so even once confirmed organising RO's, safety personnel and members - but totally worth it.

I think it may also be worth me reaching out to the FCSA so see if we can buddy up for bookings in the South, West and Wales to mutually benefit both clubs. I personally dont see it as any form of competition - and the more shoots we can offer our members the better!

On 9/25/2021 at 2:17 PM, DaveT said:

Adam...DEFO talk to Chris Stevenson!

To late, Adam has already spoken to me, I'm happy to point FCSA members at MDRC bookings when DIO relax the covid rules, this will reduce comptition for bookings and keep the numbers attending up and help keep the bookings viable.

Jim

Any advance on HME RCO for Warminster?

MDRC may have relevant quals ....only just joined so not sure.