Jump to content
UKV - The Place for Precision Rifle Enthusiasts

AMP seating press


Recommended Posts

As a 'one off' anecdotal incident I was loading some ammo last Friday for shooting on Saturday and one bullet in particular had almost zero effort when seated, it really stood out against all the others, which to me seated similarly.  I thought I must have missed sizing the case but couldn't pull the bullet out with finger pressure and I kept it separated from the others.  At the range I was particularly interested in how far out of the group the bullet would end up, but it went right in there with all the rest, this was at 200 yards.   I've had this happen before, noticeably different seating effort yet still groups with the normally seated other rounds, up to 600 yards at least.  I think this was what put me off bothering annealing case necks until recently and I haven't shot enough non or annealed cases side by side to convince myself whether it actually makes any difference to the holes in the paper, the only thing that matters.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I can relate to this. Over the years, I've at times had a handful of rounds that had suspect components, or just weren't "up to scratch" for various reasons. An example- using up a half dozen projectiles pulled with side cutters because I didn't have the appropriate puller collet. Testing them on paper or on electronic targets invariably showed they were indistinguishable from their std brothers. It's almost annoying to not find a difference.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The chronograph and target tells me what I need to know..

I'd rather spend my money on more bullets and powder etc etc and enjoy more shooting..

There's only so much time you wanna spend loading up...

I prep my brass to the best of my ability with the tools I have to do it..

If you like these gadgets there's nowt wrong with that 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/20/2021 at 10:19 AM, ds1 said:

Maybe I think of it more as a limited window of opportunity. Frankford Arsenal ( best China) are not making precision presses like the Zero or Turban but a constant force motor and scale could be done in China for a lot less money.  It may hold the same appeal as a treadmill to Stephen Hawking’s but many use Holosun ( half the price) red dots on pistol who used to swear by Trijicon.
 

 

Maybe so. ~Andrew

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

I've got the Amp eannealing mk2 after talking to other more experienced Fclass open shooters than me but I won't be buying the press as experience has shown me that correct neck tension is the way to that flat water line at a 1000yards.

one very well respected competitor I know uses zero neck tension this does not contradict my comment about neck tension I'm not going to go into why that is as it's his method and it works for him.

so given the above that's why I've got a Zero press arriving next week ordered from Spud this after seeing one in action they are the nuts I reckon and that's were I'll spend my money 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Montey said:

I've got the Amp eannealing mk2 after talking to other more experienced Fclass open shooters than me but I won't be buying the press as experience has shown me that correct neck tension is the way to that flat water line at a 1000yards.

one very well respected competitor I know uses zero neck tension this does not contradict my comment about neck tension I'm not going to go into why that is as it's his method and it works for him.

so given the above that's why I've got a Zero press arriving next week ordered from Spud this after seeing one in action they are the nuts I reckon and that's were I'll spend my money 


 


Zero neck tension, so is he crimping ? Or superglue?

while the Zero is a very well made press, I think you are missing the point of the AMP Press. the AMP press really only gives you the advantage of seeing what neck tension you have so you can adjust your case prep. It uses the Wilson style dies so you have to ask yourself if this method gives better bullet runout to that of a conventional press (like the Zero). 
 

The thing for me is that both AMP and 419 are very expensive. As previously stated; would very accurate powder measurement give you better bang for buck? (Autotrickler). Are you going, money no object all out to win f’class?

 

it would be great to seeing a much more detailed scientific investigation into annealing and neck turning using this press. It feels like, if it was done properly it could set the standard for all reloading?

Edited by Timbo1963
Incorrectly edited
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Timbo1963 said:


...while the Zero is a very well made press, I think you are missing the point of the AMP Press. the AMP press really only gives you the advantage of seeing what neck tension you have so you can adjust your case prep. It uses the Wilson style dies so you have to ask yourself if this method gives better bullet runout to that of a conventional press (like the Zero). 

The thing for me is that both AMP and 419 are very expensive. As previously stated; would very accurate powder measurement give you better bang for buck? (Autotrickler). Are you going, money no object all out to win f’class?

it would be great to seeing a much more detailed scientific investigation into annealing and neck turning using this press. It feels like, if it was done properly it could set the standard for all reloading?

Not really likely as gadgets are cat-nip to blokes.  As soon as one latest hot-poop idea is taken up, another gadget promising reloading Nirvana will arrive on the scene - promoted on Youboob as essential to get that 0.01 moa group at  1000 mards.

If I can hold 0.25 moa vertical at 500yds I'm a happy bunny, I'm sure my loads could do better but the nut behind the trigger is causing me some difficulty 😉

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Popsbengo said:

Not really likely as gadgets are cat-nip to blokes.  As soon as one latest hot-poop idea is taken up, another gadget promising reloading Nirvana will arrive on the scene - promoted on Youboob as essential to get that 0.01 moa group at  1000 mards.

If I can hold 0.25 moa vertical at 500yds I'm a happy bunny, I'm sure my loads could do better but the nut behind the trigger is causing me some difficulty 😉

Yes Pops, I can’t see it happening, more just throwing ideas out there.

there does seem to be a lot of expensive very low return  gadgets always coming along and some definite blind alleys guys running up. For most shooters, they would do better to just practice more (I know I’m the weakest link in my accuracy).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

blackrifle.png

jr_firearms_200.gif

valkyrie 200.jpg

tab 200.jpg

Northallerton NSAC shooting.jpg

RifleMags_200x100.jpg

dolphin button4 (200x100).jpg

CASEPREP_FINAL_YELLOW_hi_res__200_.jpg

rovicom200.jpg

Lumensmini.png

CALTON MOOR RANGE (2) (200x135).jpg

bradley1 200.jpg

NVstore200.jpg



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy