79ABD6CC-9D14-4B2C-8D16-1D7A1E49D43D.jpeg.8bfc7c2b29ffabf414f92d438b85baed.jpeg

both loads where with 

CCI 450 primers 

sat at 1.915 CTBO ( 15 thou jump ) 

1.5 thou bump 

2 thou neck tension 

30 deg neck chamfer 

Hi there

Just done a 4 hour round trip to get some primers. I see you’ve used cci 450 primers , any reason why. ??? . 
I’ve been using cci 400 and lately with the hot weather notice that there’s a ridge around the firing pin dent on the shot primers , but no other pressure signs . Also read Laurie s article on target shooter regarding the mouse cartridge and the fact of magnum primers having a tougher cup . So I bought some cci 450s to try next week . Do you always use the magnums ??? . 
Looking forward to trying the new rounds . 
cheers Rich 

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I’ve always used Hornady V-max 53-60 gr with small rifle primers.

Haven't had any complaints from 131 Foxes accounted thus far,but then I don’t shoot further than 150 yards,infact most are taken around my ambush/Bait points between 50-90 yds !

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 12/29/2022 at 1:55 PM, Richiew said:

Good to know thanks . Had quite a few foxes since august all falling to 75 g eldms although they do work best when they’ve hit bone . Keeps farmer happy. 
cheers 

Accuracy update after some fairly extensive testing:

Rifle: 1-8 twist .223 Tikka T3X Supervarmint with Hausken WD60 moderator, Atlas bipod. 

Viht N135 powder, Federal Primers, Lapua brass

Hornady 53gr VMAX over-stabilised in the 8-twist and shot 2MOA at best with regular flyers, regardless of powder load. 

Hornady 60gr VMAX shot a bit over 1MOA

Sierra 65gr Gameking shot a little under 1MOA

Hornady 75gr ELDM shot 1/4 MOA on first load test with 22.0gr N135 and seated at 1.940" OAL (2.500" COL)
(The Hornady OAL gague showed 1.920 and Erik Cortina's Jam test gave 1.960, so I went half way between. 22.5gr of N135 started to show pressure signs, so well below the 24gr that Viht state as max, however I'm loading into the lands, not jumping them, so not hugely unexpected.) 

cheers

Well done there, can’t complain with that . Might try that on my next set . I’m using up some 73 Berger s that do easy 1/2 moa until I was told to zero the callipers with a bullet then measure the group diameter to get proper size etc . 
Anyway happy hunting 

cheers

On 4/11/2023 at 6:07 PM, Richiew said:

Well done there, can’t complain with that . Might try that on my next set . I’m using up some 73 Berger s that do easy 1/2 moa until I was told to zero the callipers with a bullet then measure the group diameter to get proper size etc . 
Anyway happy hunting 

cheers

I think I lucked out on a good starting load, particularly considering it's got the Hausken WD60 moderator on the front. The EC jam test is just putting a bit of case lube on the inside of the neck of an empty unprimed case, pressing a bullet just in (waaaay too long) then shutting it in the gun by slamming it in with the bolt, then ejecting it and measuring it. Measure then subtract 20 thou and start loading that length. There's no jumping the lands with this recipe. It show pressure signs VERY early in the ladder, (22.5gr) but it shoots banging good groups. I've not even started depth tuning - probably not going to bother. 1/4 is good enough for a fox at most ranges. 

Meanwhile, however, these rounds COL at 2.500" so the T3X mag is useless. I've made an executive decision that the chassis needs upgrading to an MDT Oryx which takes AICS mags that have enough COL.