What’s your favourite 223 fox bullet .

Richiew

On 3/17/2022 at 8:23 AM, Scrumbag said:

Thanks. I wouldn't mind trying some of those Bergers but my 1:9 twist barrel limits it a bit. That 70 gr bullet looks the mutts nutts

Scrummy

70 vlds at 2.288 total length are just going to fit standard mags . WR mags all ok . 1.868” case base to ogive . image.thumb.jpg.470b446eb5362564cd04c968518dfbc6.jpg

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi mate 

enjoyed a few beers and a whiskey. I’m finding that the best bullets seem to be those that are max weight for twist rate  , also gone through the Bryan litz books to find bullets that are above the 1.5 number for stability . Although some of the flat base low bc bullets  look great with massive stability numbers id rather have just over the 1.5 number with high bc s . Regarding the 308 calibre with my 1:12” twist th only good bullets are the 155s but I find anything upto 185 s work very well even though they re not optimal. Should have gone for a 1:10” twist for the 308 . For the 223 lower twist rate anything upto 70 grain should be great so 69 TMKs could be good if you can find them . High bc varmint types in 223 are very rare at the moment . Cheers 

11 hours ago, Richiew said:

Hi mate 

enjoyed a few beers and a whiskey. I’m finding that the best bullets seem to be those that are max weight for twist rate  , also gone through the Bryan litz books to find bullets that are above the 1.5 number for stability . Although some of the flat base low bc bullets  look great with massive stability numbers id rather have just over the 1.5 number with high bc s . Regarding the 308 calibre with my 1:12” twist th only good bullets are the 155s but I find anything upto 185 s work very well even though they re not optimal. Should have gone for a 1:10” twist for the 308 . For the 223 lower twist rate anything upto 70 grain should be great so 69 TMKs could be good if you can find them . High bc varmint types in 223 are very rare at the moment . Cheers 

Yes, I'm usually a fan of heavy for chambering bullets but some of the really heavy stuff you can get for .223 Rem is quite something else.

CDSG did have some 60gr Nosler Varmint Ballistic tips the other day but I decided to stick with trying the Sierra TMKs as I've had good luck with the 160gr 7mm version. Also the BC (if to be believed) is pretty good on those 60gr TMKS is pretty good.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2022 at 5:59 PM, Richiew said:

55 grain flat base berger target version don’t expand on foxy when shot from the side just pencil through. Shot through the bib from front on they do a great job . Info from last nights session. 

Last week s shooting at rabbits with the above bullet turns them inside out and blows bits off at 100-170 yards , so they do work well . 

1 hour ago, Richiew said:

Just bought some Lapua scenar s in 77grain weight , anyone got any experience of these in 223 . Cheers 

Very good if you have a 1-7 twist. If you have 1-8 it’s touch and go , your just have to give them a go . I would obviously recommend for paper/steel targets and they will NOT expand at all , there a tough bullet for sure . 

Thanks for info . Put them into StrelokPro and only get a 1.47  stability factor but struggling to find shops with any of my other favourites actually there to buy so going to have a play and keep the best for actual hunting. 24.5 grain of n540 should give 2671 fps according to Vihtavuori web so should be ok for practice. Cheers 

1 hour ago, Richiew said:

Just bought some Lapua scenar s in 77grain weight , anyone got any experience of these in 223 . Cheers 

As with all Scenars, they are very well made. They don't need a 7-twist barrel; eight is fine. They're capable of excellent short-range precision on paper - I can't comment on any other use. They do have a longer shank than the equivalent Sierra Match King and will generate higher pressures all other things being equal. This is probably why Viht's maximum charge weights for them are around 1gn lower than for the 77 SMK. (And for some reason, the 77 TMK is allowed a grain higher still max charges over the SMK despite having apparently identical dimensions to the HPBT MK version other than the meplat/tip.)

Hi Laurie 

Thanks for the info regarding the twist rate etc . What’s your idea of short range ?? I’d like to be able to use them upto 300 metres as that’s about the longest I can get at local ranges and on some farmland. 
cheers

57 minutes ago, Richiew said:

What’s your idea of short range ?? I’d like to be able to use them upto 300 metres as that’s about the longest I can get at local ranges and on some farmland.

That's short-range and ideal for these bullets. The .224 77s from Sierra, Nosler, Berger, Lapua will all shoot much further but they're blunt, low-BC designs that become increasingly wind affected at longer ranges, also fall into trans-sonic speeds too at under 800 yards with 223 Rem MVs.

The 77 SMK, the original one of the quartet, was designed for a specific task - to shoot well with a lot of jump in 223 Rem Wylde or 5.56 chambers whilst feeding reliably when loaded to 2.25-2.26" to fit AR-15 magazines for the 200 (off-hand) and 300 (kneeling or sitting) yards rapid-fire (semi-auto) stages in US Hi-Power Service Rifle competitions. (80s would then be single loaded for the final 600 yards prone slowfire stage.) As is often the case, they'll still perform well when outside of their original design parameters, but they're first and foremost shorter distance models.  

12 hours ago, Laurie said:

That's short-range and ideal for these bullets. The .224 77s from Sierra, Nosler, Berger, Lapua will all shoot much further but they're blunt, low-BC designs that become increasingly wind affected at longer ranges, also fall into trans-sonic speeds too at under 800 yards with 223 Rem MVs.

The 77 SMK, the original one of the quartet, was designed for a specific task - to shoot well with a lot of jump in 223 Rem Wylde or 5.56 chambers whilst feeding reliably when loaded to 2.25-2.26" to fit AR-15 magazines for the 200 (off-hand) and 300 (kneeling or sitting) yards rapid-fire (semi-auto) stages in US Hi-Power Service Rifle competitions. (80s would then be single loaded for the final 600 yards prone slowfire stage.) As is often the case, they'll still perform well when outside of their original design parameters, but they're first and foremost shorter distance models.  

Very interesting Laurie, I didn't know that so thanks.

Question for you: If you wanted a .223 Rem to shoot longer range but wanted to run it through a magazine, what would you go for?

ATB,

Scrummy

Hi Laurie 

Thanks for the info Very interesting. 77 lapua-StrelokPro says around 725 yards max , and 1.45 stability factor . The lapua 69 grain gives 700 yards but a much better 1.96 stability factor. Maybe should have gone a bit lighter but beggar’s can’t be choosers when there’s nothing to buy . Looking at the 308 Lapuas for my 1:12 barrel the lower bc old fashioned bullets seem to be the best as can get a rebated 185 to perform very nicely. 
cheers and enjoy the sunshine 

Bullets arrived today and look to be very good quality with flat uniform meplats. Looking forward to loading some up to try how they fly . Quite a large open tip compared to bergers. Cheers 

• 1 month later...

Hornady 75 grain eldm with 24 grains of n540 on mr foxy last night : just a hole straight through and a lump of lung carried out the other side. Fox made it 20 yards ish before expired . Would prefer a better result of no running. Correct bullet placement but still a runner even though he didn’t see me so shouldn’t have loads of adrenaline.  100 yards distance. Sako soft points worked better. Unfortunately not much choice of bullets to buy so have to make do . Cheers  

• 2 weeks later...

Not many suppliers with actual stock. Also looks to be a primer shortage too . Thanks for the info though. Going to try some target bullets on foxy and see how they fare . Cheers 

• 3 weeks later...

Latest info 

loaded some 73g bergers to 2.26” and 25 grain of n540, this was a good load earlier this year with no pressure signs  . Thursday was warm for up north and I had great accuracy but cratered primers . Need to back off a bit for summer. These are slightly compressed loads so might drop to 24.8 . Be careful now the weather s getting better. Cheers 

• 2 weeks later...

Lapua 77 g 223 Scenar loaded at 24g of N540 worked well but tonight they’re slightly cratered primers , hot weather?? . Drop a bit of powder or load a little longer ? . Any ideas . Cheers 

On 6/19/2022 at 1:12 PM, Richiew said:

Lately found some 77 grain lapua 223s so bought loads . Does a good job on pigeons by driving a hole through them so not much meat damage so can use the meat . Also good on rabbits but not tested on fox yet . Watched thlr on YouTube and the bullet of choice for ptarmigan was fmj . With bullet supplies being dodgy we’re having to make do with whatever is available. Cheers 

Latest info cheers 

On 6/19/2022 at 6:14 PM, VarmLR said:

Up until now, the Sierra #1390 Gameking driven at 3,200fps.  Devastatingly reliable on fox and Muntjac.  Now looking to Lapua for alternatives such is the dire state of Sierra bullet supply.

Countryman of derby quote these in stock if your interested. Cheers