Are you sure you want to stick with 308Win for long range? There are better options.

If you are only going to be shooting on a range, prone or bench only, I'd go longer still and heavy profile. You might want to check what will still fit in your safe, though.

I sold my 308  after a side by side comparison with a newly acquired 6.5x47 at 1000yds.............the 6.5 is a Tikka M595 with a 30" barrel.

I've also shot the 6.5 at 1200yds with 136 grain bullets on one occasion...

Pete

0.308 is really a lovely calibre - accurate and good factory ammunition widely available. I would never be without one (I now have 3), but it really doesn’t do so well in comparison to other calibres at long range. You can certainly play tricks with transonic tolerant bullets, or take the FTR shooters approach of 32 inch Palma barrels and heavy projectiles. But as Pete says, none of this is as easy as simply picking a better long range calibre.

1 hour ago, Jeffo1960 said:

I also got a 6.5 creedmoor perhaps I'd be better off to rebarrel that, why I eas thinking of my. 308 as I really like shooting it, 

In my opinion the 6.5 Creed outperforms the .308 at long range. My 6.5Cm, with a heavy (140 grain) slippery, bullet in a 1:8 twist 26'' barrel beats any .308 I have (even my .308 Target Rifle) and stays supersonic at around 1200 /1300 yards. If you have to have a .308, get a 30'' + barrel with a 1:10 / 1:9 twist for the heavier, longer bullets, but you'll feel the increased recoil. 

The 6.5 CM can give similar ballistic to the .300 WinMag, but without getting beaten up into the bargain.

9 minutes ago, ezmobile said:

In my opinion the 6.5 Creed outperforms the .308 at long range. 

Yes

9 minutes ago, ezmobile said:

The 6.5 CM can give similar ballistic to the .300 WinMag, but without getting beaten up into the bargain.

No. Not without a silly contrived comparison

I shoot my 308 to 1000 using 175 grain bullets. I shoot 6,5 CM beyond that. I would never go with a 28" barrel on a 308. My rifle is 22 inches and does just fine with 168 and 175 grain bullets. When the weather is right, I can use 168's out to 1000 (3200 ft altitude and dry) but I would count on 175's as being a staple. One of the benefits of the 308 are lots of bullets available and command less price than 6,5's. Six-point five bullets are bringing a premium here in the States.

In the end, your personal definition of "Long range" will make your decision for you. If that means 600 yards 90 % of the time, a 308 is your huckleberry. If its a steady diet of 1200-1500 yard, even the 6,5 CM won't keep your interest. ~Andrew

23 hours ago, Jeffo1960 said:

Will be shooting 600 yards out to about 1250

Be honest with your self: Will you be really shooting at 1250 regularly? Or just wanting to give it a pop once in a while? I have a 2100 yard range but seldom shoot more than 1200 and usually spend most of my time 800 to 1000 with about any rifle. It just seems a more practical course of fire.

You may want to get something with a little more snort if you plan on 1250 regularly. Easiest option is a 300 WM with 208's. Those will reach easily.~ Andrew

On 7/15/2021 at 2:43 PM, Chanonry said:

Yes

No. Not without a silly contrived comparison

By 'Beaten up' I mean the recoil of say a 190 / 200 grain .30 cal bullet from a .300 WinMag which would give similar ballistics to a slippery 140gn 6.5

On 7/19/2021 at 3:22 PM, ezmobile said:

By 'Beaten up' I mean the recoil of say a 190 / 200 grain .30 cal bullet from a .300 WinMag which would give similar ballistics to a slippery 140gn 6.5

Which is exactly what I mean by a contrived comparison.

If the 6.5 CM is going to be compared to the 300WinMag then you should at least use bullets from the same century. The 6.5CM is nothing special except it can use high bc modern bullet so we should afford the 300WM the same luxury. So if you run the 300WM with a 230 Berger then the 65CM isn't at the races.

Personally I am bored with 14 years of this crap.