Rcbs scales

activeviii

The RCBS M500 and M1000 replaced the RCBS 505 and 10/10 3-4 years ago. They use exactly the same knife edge/floating agate bearings as previous RCBS scales. (502,505,5-10, 10/10) and are just as accurate. The differences are in the poise systems - some prefer the rotary barrel poise of the 10/10 and older 5-10, others like the sliding weights of the 502, 505.  After a lot of use the threads in the barrel poise on the 5-10 and 10/10 can become worn and "unfixable". The 505 three poise scale adds in an extra poise that can also be a source of inaccuracy too.

Both the M500 and M100 suffer from the same problem. The beams are printed on both sides for left/right operation and, as a consequence the zero plate is around 6mm away from the beam which can lead to parallax error unless the scale is viewed from exactly the same position every time.

The advantage of the M1000 over the M500 is, the base is a little more robust and it can weigh to 1000 grains.

The chances of finding a good RCBS 10/10 are getting slimmer. They were dropped from the RCBS catalogue around 4-5 years ago and for about 8 -10 years prior to that were either made in China or Mexico with fairly hit or miss quality. All the scales have "Made by Ohaus, USA" cast in the base even if made in China, the only way to tell is that the place of manufacture is printed on the original cardboard box.

Here's my M500 in action:

Thanks for that.

I would love to see 1000gr of powder in the pan. Somehow I don't think that will happen hehe.

I still have my 10-10. About 15 years old now, maybe a little more, I'm not sure. But, of late, I have started noticing inconsistencies. I alway, once powder is in pan, I lightly push the bar down to the stop and then let it go. It's apart of my routine to get everything the same. But of late, I can hold balance bar down and let go, let it settle and it's a tad over, do the same again, without doing anything else and it is under. Do it again and it's on the button

I use a camera on the pointer so there is no parallax adjustment. It should be same every time. But it's not.

Ok was going to buy the m1000 as a hissy fit due to the 10-10s not doing like I normally get. Where as I use to throw 100 charges with thrower and target master, in about 30 minutes. It's now twice as long and I have even stopped using the charge master for now. Back to my custom made trickler for now.

So, is the M1000 easier, quicker than the old 10-10. I have one in the basket at the momnet for £151 but is it worth the bother. Do I need to strip the 10-10 and give a good going over?

Before pressing the button for the M1000 I would certainly have a good look at the 10/10. 

1. Take a torch and shine down the damper slot to see if any minute hairs of wire wool or particles are sticking there and touching the damper plate.

2. Remove the beam and check that the screw that holds the damper plate in position is secure.

3. Check the knife edges under a high power glass, looking for a dull or burred edge and check the knife edge tips for chips.

4. Remove the bearing plates and remove the bearings (The inner one is a bit tricky) Make sure there are no odd kernels of powder, paint clumps, manufacturing swarf stuck in the bearing housing. Scrub the bearings and bearing housings out with a toothbrush and some non-residue spirit/alcohol.

5. Scrub the little knife edge where the pan hanger stirrup hangs and make sure the stirrup is free to swing in it's housing.

6.Check, on the main poise, the screw is tight that holds the little washer that locates in the beam notches. 

7. While you have the toothbrush out, scrub crossways across the beam notches to clear any dust build-up.

Personally I can't recall the last time I needed to way anything over 500 grains on a beam scale - a cheap digital is more convenient for weighing bullets/cases. 

I will give it a strip and clean. I'll check it all out first.

I have to try and find a way of getting my camera set up closer to the target master beam. The beam is as far up the scale arm as I can be without it touching the hook for the extra weight but then leave no room for the camera to be at the right angle. Ideally I could do with the camera being inside the box of the target master. Job for another day maybe. First I need to sort these scales I think.

Thank you kindly for your help 1066

I have a 5-05 and an M500

No comparison, currently in discussion with RCBS who have agreed to replace the M500 as it weighs incorrectly by over 3gr using a 155gr test bullet.

The 5-0-5 and my good digital scale both read it as dead on 155gr.  It's also off using other test weights.

RCBS have offered to replace it if I pay about £30 to send it back to the USA, they then said they may be able to find a European distributor to replace it.

That was 3 weeks ago, not heard anything since, replies to emails take 2-4 weeks to arrive.

• 3 weeks later...

I contacted RCBS about a set of new 7.62x39 dies from which I do neat, uniform striations along the neck from the FL sizer. Looked like a purposefully applied crimp. I contacted them, sent photos of the cases, and 5 weeks later (after I'd purchased a new die set) their people contacted me to say that I was using the die incorrectly and that it needed cleaning. I stripped it an tossed it in the trash. Forty five years of using RCBS equipment over. ~Andrew

19 hours ago, Andrew said:

I contacted RCBS about a set of new 7.62x39 dies from which I do neat, uniform striations along the neck from the FL sizer. Looked like a purposefully applied crimp. I contacted them, sent photos of the cases, and 5 weeks later (after I'd purchased a new die set) their people contacted me to say that I was using the die incorrectly and that it needed cleaning. I stripped it an tossed it in the trash. Forty five years of using RCBS equipment over. ~Andrew

That's pretty shocking from them. This thread unfortunately seems to detail their slide into mediocrity. I'll stick to cheap and cheerful Lee dies but hold onto my old 5-0-5 scales.

14 hours ago, SchmidtP3 said:

That's pretty shocking from them. This thread unfortunately seems to detail their slide into mediocrity. I'll stick to cheap and cheerful Lee dies but hold onto my old 5-0-5 scales.

Yup.~ Andrew