338 lapua

gazzarM1

Just coming to the end of my supply of Ramshot Magnum which I have been using for several years with acceptable accuracy in my Barrett 98B with 225 and 250 grain bullets....looking for a different and available powder to increase accuracy potential with the same weight pills currently achieving 1.25 -1 moa at 100 yds which tightens up at 200yds and beyond a tad but I think I can better that.

Any suggestions?

Thanks Gents

3 minutes ago, gazzarM1 said:

Just coming to the end of my supply of Ramshot Magnum which I have been using for several years with acceptable accuracy in my Barrett 98B with 225 and 250 grain bullets....looking for a different and available powder to increase accuracy potential with the same weight pills currently achieving 1.25 -1 moa at 100 yds which tightens up at 200yds and beyond a tad but I think I can better that.

Any suggestions?

Thanks Gents

Not exactly what you've asked but if it's any use:

I use N570 Viht.  I get good results with 300gr Scenar and 285 ELD-M  out of a 32" 1:10 barrel.  I did use it for 250 Scenar but find they run out of legs at 1500m and accuracy drops rapidly.  RS80 has been recommended to me, not had a chance to try as yet.  RS70 may be a better choice for the 225gr.

Not a .338LM but I do shoot a .338 Norma Magnum. Only 6% less case capacity.

I shoot HbN coated 300gn Scenars to good effect with my 27” barrel.

Ive used RAMSHOT Mag a fair bit as that’s what the .338NM was originally designed to use with 300gn Sierra match kings. But I found RAMSHOT Mag quite dirty, had poor ES/SD and wasn’t as tight group wise as I wanted.

I did find RS80 to be an amazing powder for the heavy 300gn bullets. Very clean, nice recoil impulse, tight groups and low ES/SD. I think my load of 94.5gn RS80 and 300gn Scenar (note...it’s HbN treated) now runs around 2800fps and has an SD of 4-6fps.

I bought 10kg of RS80 as I like it so much 😁

It’s also worth noting that RS80 is the same powder as Reloader 33 as marketed in the US. So if you’re looking for data, you can use Rel33 data. In the States, they like Rel33 for the .338NM and .338LM a lot. 

2 hours ago, Timbo1963 said:

Has anybody tried or looked at Reloader 26? It looks like it might be very good, and the temperature stability characteristics and copper fouling properties would be key?

Isn't it a bit fast for .338LM ?  RL33 is recommended.  Not tried either.

Going to give 570 a go methinks availability should be fine ....over the years got cheesed off with developing a load for a rifle then finding the bits needed going missing

55 minutes ago, gazzarM1 said:

Going to give 570 a go methinks availability should be fine ....over the years got cheesed off with developing a load for a rifle then finding the bits needed going missing

yep, that's why I like Viht powders & Lapua components (also the best, I believe)

8 hours ago, Popsbengo said:

Isn't it a bit fast for .338LM ?  RL33 is recommended.  Not tried either.

Yes maybe, it seems like it might be more suited to big 30cal cartridges like 300NM. At the moment there isn’t a lot of information out there. I read this article and thought I’d ask the question.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2017/03/consider-alliant-reloder-26-for-magnum-cartridges/