Hi just joined the group and I'm looking for rules for the different types of shooting competitions but I have come up fairly empty handed so far.

Just getting bits and pieces of the rules and something that took me a little by surprise an unpleasant person who told me to make my questions clearer never expected that from the shooting community so where can find some rules 

A Google search landed me here on your door step 

The unpleasant person had a point, what disciplines are you interested in? there are dozens of different types of competitive shooting and competitions, all with differing 'legislation'...

Lawrence,

As per the above, are you talking shotgun, rifle - so many different variations on each. 

Your experience, if any, with shooting sports also helps in giving a constructive response or direction.

Filling in your profile might help i.e location would give potential contacts local to you.

T

As everyone is saying, there are a lot of rules from different organisations.

Just as an example, for .22 benchrest in the NSRA, front rest has to be flat with no padding, no rear rest, left hand can support but not grip the rifle, which must be in the shoulder.  The other BR organisations allow any front rest and a rear bag and you can do what you like with your supporting hand.  Long distance .22 from the NRA, you can have a front rest but the rifle cannot rest on it, your hand can rest on it and then the rifle can rest on your hand.

F/TR calibre .223 or .308 only and a weight limit but ok with front bipod and rear bag.  F/Open anything you like up to 8mm calibre.

Vintage service rifle competitions, rifle must be as issued back in whenever, civilian service rifle, typically four classes, historic, iron, service optics, practical optics.

Let us know what you most fancy doing and we can help you with the rules, otherwise I'm afraid its a bit of a how long is a piece of string question.  I could use a 7.62 in vintage service rifle competition, as a target rifle, for McQueens castle sniper targets or long range scoped, all would have different rules.

1 hour ago, Lawrence said:

Sorry should have made myself clearer rifle rules please join point me in the right direction 

Thanks 

Lawrence - as you are based in Manchester, you are not too far from Diggle Ranges.  WE shoot most rifle disciplines. have a look at our website www.diggleranges.com and if you like what you see PM me on vince.bottomley@pssa.uk to arrange a visit and all your questions will be answered.

35 minutes ago, The Gun Pimp said:

Lawrence - as you are based in Manchester, you are not too far from Diggle Ranges.  WE shoot most rifle disciplines. have a look at our website www.diggleranges.com and if you like what you see PM me on vince.bottomley@pssa.uk to arrange a visit and all y

Lawrence - as you are based in Manchester, you are not too far from Diggle Ranges.  WE shoot most rifle disciplines. have a look at our website www.diggleranges.com and if you like what you see PM me on vince.bottomley@pssa.uk to arrange a visit and all your questions will be answered.

our questions will be answered.

1 hour ago, nCognitos said:

NRA Rules https://nra.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/Bible-2020-Complete.pdf

NSRA Rules https://www.nsra.co.uk/index.php/home/reference/rules

And different clubs can have their own variations on the rules, or just different rules completely!

Thank you for the links I will be shooting full bore looking to learn how to shoot up to a 1000 yards I 

2 hours ago, The Gun Pimp said:

Gun Pimp I don't know if you saw my message still getting the hang of sending them I'm a member of PSSA, I have been waiting for my FAC for ages, got the money for application cabinet etc had to buy a new car, then MOT failed then lockdown freedom have cabinet paid fees lockdown 2 my application was submitted in September 2020 they only started working on it 6 weeks ago so I now have a serious wad and it isn't going to waste believe me.

59 minutes ago, Mattnall said:

😬Now you've done it.

There will be many posts from those telling you how you should spend it.

indeed, we like spending other folks money! :)

17 hours ago, The Gun Pimp said:

OK - well come up for a chat sometime and talk about what you want to shoot/buy.

Will do, I don't actually know to many people to speak to not having and anything to discuss, no rifle, scores or anything like that. I have mentioned to Vince that I would like to learn to shoot long range when I saw his name on the notice board saying he taught long range shooting.

I did feel a little (to be honest very shy) as people were all talking about the match they had just shot in or what they were going to do.

I completed my probation but haven't touched a rifle since because there aren't any club guns. But thanks for the invite I will get up for a chat ASAP.

2 hours ago, Lawrence said:

Will do, I don't actually know to many people to speak to not having and anything to discuss, no rifle, scores or anything like that. I have mentioned to Vince that I would like to learn to shoot long range when I saw his name on the notice board saying he taught long range shooting.

I did feel a little (to be honest very shy) as people were all talking about the match they had just shot in or what they were going to do.

I completed my probation but haven't touched a rifle since because there aren't any club guns. But thanks for the invite I will get up for a chat ASAP.

We all started at the beginning somewhere!  Don't feel shy, most people love talking about their favourite subject😁

I do tend to hold back sometimes but when I get my rifle being there with it and people asking me about it I will feel better and less hesitant to talk to them.

I am waiting for GMP to finish my application, everything was put on hold for the second lockdown, they didn't even contact my referees by phone or post they just left FAC applications sitting there building up a backlog, I contacted them beginning of the year and got told they were doing health and safety investigations then I found out that my application had been started about 7 weeks ago and my referees still haven't heard anything it would be nice if anybody can give me some idea of the waiting time if it is weeks or months