As a member of this club, I was very disappointed to receive an email from the “management” informing me as a member that a ‘bad person’ who was a member of ODRC had grassed the club up to the NRA to do with some COVID rule misdemeanour. Don’t get me wrong we do need to take great care not to allow this dreadful virus to to proliferate, but the email suggested that this was vindictive.

Due to health reasons (nowt to do with Kung Flu) I have yet to have the opportunity to go to a long range shooting since lockdown but had been given the green light from June onwards by those in white coats. Imagine how over joyed I was to be told that the only club I’m a member of that shoots long range is now not able to function.

Was anyone on here at Kingsbury on the fateful day? Why has the lives of all the members of this club been blighted, when the obvious solution would be to re-educate those running the club?

I miss John who previously ran ODRC and whilst I understand his er, book keeping left a bit to be desired, but it was a brilliant club at which I really enjoyed shooting regularly. The chap who seems to be in charge now, doesn’t seem to like me or my circle of friends and makes little effort to disguise his feelings. To be fair I have always got on well with all the members and have tried not to piss this chap off, but it doesn’t seem to be the happy club it once was.

1 hour ago, Ralpharama said:

As a member of this club, I was very disappointed to receive an email from the “management” informing me as a member that a ‘bad person’ who was a member of ODRC had grassed the club up to the NRA to do with some COVID rule misdemeanour. Don’t get me wrong we do need to take great care not to allow this dreadful virus to to proliferate, but the email suggested that this was vindictive.

Due to health reasons (nowt to do with Kung Flu) I have yet to have the opportunity to go to a long range shooting since lockdown but had been given the green light from June onwards by those in white coats. Imagine how over joyed I was to be told that the only club I’m a member of that shoots long range is now not able to function.

Was anyone on here at Kingsbury on the fateful day? Why has the lives of all the members of this club been blighted, when the obvious solution would be to re-educate those running the club?

I miss John who previously ran ODRC and whilst I understand his er, book keeping left a bit to be desired, but it was a brilliant club at which I really enjoyed shooting regularly. The chap who seems to be in charge now, doesn’t seem to like me or my circle of friends and makes little effort to disguise his feelings. To be fair I have always got on well with all the members and have tried not to piss this chap off, but it doesn’t seem to be the happy club it once was.

Long range shooting in UK seems to be hampered by a handful of bitter, self-absorbed and ego-driven individuals. It’s most odd.

It’s rather like the behaviour one used to see from some deer stalkers doing land-grabs and trying to malign all others sharing the same hobby.

Reportedly, there’s similar unpleasantness going on between RMPRA and the PRL people.

The only places that seem above this are the two long-range ranges operating as businesses.

5 hours ago, brown dog said:

Long range shooting in UK seems to be hampered by a handful of bitter, self-absorbed and ego-driven individuals. It’s most odd.

It does also carry on in small bore circles; a friend was telling me, (through tears of laughter) that his club secretary rushed onto the firing point and demanded to know what ammunition he was firing because it was too loud! 

For those of a curious nature the ammunition in question was Tenex. 

I do find it hard to understand the mind set of someone or a cluster of people who harbour malice and  deliberately want to do others harm or make their lives miserable?

Very strange way to behave. Childish at best, a bit unbalanced at worst, puts a question in my mind if these are folks who should have unsupervised access to firearms?

As to ‘too much noise’ was on Stickledown when some LEO types were shooting handguns ( poorly  😳) in the small range in the left. one came over and asked us to move as the rifles were too loud - just hope if they really have to play cops and robbers the robbers are using suppressors 😂😂

Johns book keeping was spectacularly disorganised but everything was present, it just took some finding.

John is a founder and life member of FCSA (UK) and has been ordered to turn up for the opening weekend at FCSA HQ.

He also has an open invite to stop at mine when we shoot at Warcop.

As long term self employed, I have had to learn as a matter of survival, to be able to judge people quickly and accurately as mistakes can be very costly.

The first time I met John I had him down as a thoroughly good egg and frequent further encounters did nothing to alter my initial high opinion.

I cannot necessarily say the same for his detractors. 

On 5/29/2021 at 9:42 AM, gazzarM1 said:

Plus they are swinging back into action once again in various locations shortly

I did have a 'login' as an ODRC member to their website as the two clubs allowed members of each to visit either. I had looked before the Kung Flu pandemic, when ODRC was in some previous bad place, which of course was blamed on John, though I very much doubt it was his fault, but they sadly had no shoots anywhere near me. I am based in Somerset just south of Bristol. I  can't seem to long in anymore - have the ODRC upset the FCSA?

Was FCSA not originally part of ODRC or visa versa? As ODRC seems to be persona non gratis currently in more than one direction, I wonder if there would be any mileage in FCSA putting on some of the shoots formally hosted by ODRC? Eg Warminster G, Rogiet Moore, Sennybridge J3A, G etc etc

I have met enough FCSA members on ODRC shoots to know I would join in a heartbeat were the opportunity to shoot with a friendly club offered!

4 hours ago, Ralpharama said:

Was FCSA not originally part of ODRC or visa versa? As ODRC seems to be persona non gratis currently in more than one direction, I wonder if there would be any mileage in FCSA putting on some of the shoots formally hosted by ODRC? Eg Warminster G, Rogiet Moore, Sennybridge J3A, G etc etc

I have met enough FCSA members on ODRC shoots to know I would join in a heartbeat were the opportunity to shoot with a friendly club offered!

FCSA was set up in 2004 mostly by members of ODRC to defend against attempts to ban large calibre target shooting, when FCSA became an approved club the gentlemans agreement was that ODRC would book the gallery ranges and FCSA would book the Field Firing Areas. Members of each club were welcome to shoot at any of the bookings.

Due to one idiot falling out with everyone he left FCSA, joined ODRC and started booking Field Firing areas to compete with us, he is also the reason that all civilian use of field firing areas is currently restricted. He is also the mong that had a screaming match with the TSO at Warcop, luckily he had left FCSA by then. Oddly enoug, he's not on my Christmas card list.

2 hours ago, gazzarM1 said:

You should get in touch...Don’t quote me but pretty certain Sennybridge is on the menu

A quick state of the nation update as I can now say something as the paperwork has gone in.

Over Cassock – FCSA HQ

Dumfries & Galloway council requested that we resubmit our planning application for our home range at Over Cassock as a major development.
We can now confirm that the PoAN was submitted to the planning department at 1600 on the 18th of May 2021. This will start the 12 week consultation period, followed by the planning department generating it’s report before it goes to the planning committee.

Our original range had a developed area well under 2Ha, however as we have now been asked to include the entire perimeter of the estate in the planning application this affords us much greater opportunities, more targets have already been bought.

Following meetings with the planning department they have confirmed that they are content for FCSA to operate under the permitted development (28 day) rule whilst our planning application is processed. Dates will go up on the attendance system soon.

Warop

DIO visited last week as promised and discussed FCSA’s use of C10 (Charlie High) we now have full backing (in writing) from the TSO1 and TSO Warcop, all is progressing very well and we should have our new template soon, once our licence is confirmed dates will go on the attendance system.

Sennybridge

F Range is next on the list after Warcop is sorted.

Lydd/Hythe

As work is progressing rebuilding the sea wall at Lydd we are now booking H10 at Hythe as a stopgap, H10 is a converted gallery range allowing for 600yds and calibres up to .338.
The work at Lydd is supposed to be completed between November and January at which point we will start rebooking Serial 45.
Thanks
Darren

45 minutes ago, gazzarM1 said:

Shameful it is ....been shooting a long time and repeatedly come across the type.

Thanks for the update

I agree, but shooting is largely populated with "older" men who are well represented in the grumpy and belligerent area.  I've been involved with various clubs and societies with such a demographic - invariably there are some less than helpful souls and too many quite prepared to p1ss on their "mates" for personal gratification.

I for one thought John M. to be a very fine chap, I joined Offas' because of him and left because of the less charming chap who took over.   It's a thankless task at times running a club (I'm the sec of a large club), it takes a lot of time and effort - that said, being a moaning unfriendly g1t is never acceptable,  it's fun, not work, for goodness sake!!

For those interested, many other clubs have MoD licences to book their ranges. It was due to the shenanigans with ODRC I organised my club to have one. We now have semi regular bookings at Rogiet, Sennybridge, Warminster etc - largely focused in Wales and SW as we’re based in Monmouth (Monmouth & District Rifle Club).

We’re still getting used to the system, so it’s a little sporadic - but hope to have at least one shoot a month from March - September (and possibly winter depending on numbers).

• 1 month later...

Adam

I am very interexted to get onto those ranges again.....can you send me details of your arrangements please?