Help with .300wm F/L sizing

Catch-22

Can anyone help advise please?

I’m trying to F/L size my .300wm brass but the die (Lee F/L die without sizer button as I like to use expander mandrels) is taking a slither of brass off the case, just in front of the belt. See photo.

The die is setup correctly per Lee’s instructions (touching shell holder, then further screwed in 1/4 turn to prevent over caming).

Case is sized properly. I think as it’s sizing the expansion web ahead of the belt, the side of die is shaving some brass away?!?

Ive checked the sized brass with the Innovative Tech (Larry Willis) die. The sized die fits in perfectly without need to use the collect and reduce the ‘waist’ of the case. However the Innovative Tech die says it’s only to be used on already sized brass, hence why I’m using the F/L Lee die.

EDIT: it might be worth noting this was all new PRIVI brass, being sized after its first firing. Not sure if that makes a difference or not? 

So...is my brass now scrap? Or is it normal for a F/L due to ‘shave’ some excess brass away? Never had this issue with non-belted cases before. Thoughts welcomed!

B08ADAAB-72FA-43B7-B909-9A088BCCE747.jpeg

I'm assuming the shaving is a roll of ultra thin brass, curled up like wood in a plane cut from the outside of the case above the belt (where it's shiny in your pic)?  It must be in the order of 1/10th thou or you would have really struggled to close the die I would think.

To shave there must be a sharp edge to the die as any radius would force the brass inwards rather than shave it off.  Has it removed a shaving all the way round?

You could radius the die edge with a stone or emery cloth on a cone former.

As far as the brass goes, I'd use it but that's a choice based on assumptions above.

1 hour ago, Popsbengo said:

I'm assuming the shaving is a roll of ultra thin brass, curled up like wood in a plane cut from the outside of the case above the belt (where it's shiny in your pic)?  It must be in the order of 1/10th thou or you would have really struggled to close the die I would think.

To shave there must be a sharp edge to the die as any radius would force the brass inwards rather than shave it off.  Has it removed a shaving all the way round?

You could radius the die edge with a stone or emery cloth on a cone former.

As far as the brass goes, I'd use it but that's a choice based on assumptions above.

Perfect - just the trick.

I ran my finger up in the die hoping to catch a sharp edge but found none. I took some sandpaper wrapped round a chop stick and did some gentle polishing around the bevelled lip of the die. 2 mins later, sized another case and no issues - no brass being shaved off.

Seems there must have been a minute sharp lip the bevel of the die.

All good 👍

47 minutes ago, Catch-22 said:

Perfect - just the trick.

I ran my finger up in the die hoping to catch a sharp edge but found none. I took some sandpaper wrapped round a chop stick and did some gentle polishing around the bevelled lip of the die. 2 mins later, sized another case and no issues - no brass being shaved off.

Seems there must have been a minute sharp lip the bevel of the die.

All good 👍

That's good. 

I have found Lee dies to be a bit short on final finish quality.  I have two collet dies that had dreadful finish and very poor, jerky action until I polished up the 'cup' that the collet slides into.