Tikka T3X .223 Vhit 140 load data for standard mag fit, help required?

Hi Chaps.

I have a Tikka T3X Supervarmint in .223 with 1:8 twist and a 20" barrel, that I want to use on the land for general varmint shooting: Fox, Rabbit, Crow etc. 

The problem I've encountered is the best OAL using standard mag length is miles out of the lands and I don't want to single feed, so I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good accurate bullet and load data using Vhit 140, please, that fits in the magazine?

Obviously any comments will be treated as advice only and I'll work within normal parameters of the data, but my main thing is the bullet brand, weight, type etc; then the best mag fit length to give me goo accuracy out to 300 yards.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Cheers. Paul

• pengo changed the title to Tikka T3X .223 Vhit 140 load data for standard mag fit, help required?

Hi there 

2.26” is very close to mag length of standard tikka mags , I bought some WR MAGS from rifle mags . Uk  . Which allow a much longer coal . I’m using Berger 55 , 60,73 grain bullets and Amax 52 grain all with viht 135 and using 25 grains for all except the 73s where it’s 22.5 g . Basically using the lapua web reloading page and knocking off a grain from max as a starting point , so could do the same for n140  . 

Sorry forgot to say that it’s all in the bullet shape to how far the coal will be . Bergers allow upto 2.3” coal to the lands as they are tangent shapes  but a secant shaped Amax is 2.213” cbto  . This is with a tikka varmint 20” stainless . 

Don't worry about the diatance from the lands. I have two Tikka T3 lites: one with a 1:8 twist, one with a 1:10. I load to data-specified OAL. Both shoot better than I can hold. Dont get caught up in the diatancer from the lands thing. Waste of time, really.~Andrew

On 5/16/2021 at 8:35 AM, Andrew said:

Don't worry about the diatance from the lands. I have two Tikka T3 lites: one with a 1:8 twist, one with a 1:10. I load to data-specified OAL. Both shoot better than I can hold. Dont get caught up in the diatancer from the lands thing. Waste of time, really.~Andrew

If going by hornady manual a52g Amax standard load length is 2.230” this would be a 7 thou jam in my rifle t3x varmint, so I wasn’t happy with that so took off ten thou for a coal of 2.213” ( not as cbto as I got the numbers wrong ) . This makes cbto to be 1.8205” . Agree with not too much worry when there’s a jump as in 308 it’s massive but don’t fancy a jam with unknowns of pressure. It’s worth taking time to measure .