New AI AT-X rifle and (now) chassis

terryh

UKV was invited the UK launch of the new AI competition  rifle and chassis where both the rifle and chassis were displayed and available to shoot on the Cohbam range, Bisley.

I will follow up this post with more detail but thought folks would be interested in a ‘snap shot’ or these products, first the AT-X rifle

60EAFFB2-82B1-4B33-966B-1154657BE7F1.thumb.jpeg.2350a212f955b306a66d6df4145dadd2.jpeg

Proven AI action, fitted with their competition trigger which is a fully adjustable 2 stage and as tested very nice, crisp at, as a guess, about 1 1/2 pounds.

Rifle comes in 6.5 Creedmoor and is fitted with AI’s now made in house barrel.

The chassis has had input from shooters both sides of the pond with the most significant feature being the lowering of the barrel in the chassis, recoil is noticeably straight back, IMHO feels ‘less’ and certainly reduces (removes) muzzle climb between shots - off a tripod you remained on target.

The actual form of the chassis is a bit more svelte compared to others out their , the pistol grip is AR fitting so adding for you favourite is simple.

Butt end is fully adjustable in all planes. The top cover for the for-end comes in different lengths

Shooting the rifle at various distances was spot on, felt right and even though it was steels it grouped with the Hornady factory ammunition 

569E1B8F-8448-4D11-B517-5B8696FC6A53.thumb.jpeg.c6fe8b9db67d85f0ac8dcc588ea3da91.jpeg

This is a nice rifle, take a bit to impress me these days but it just feels ‘right’. In base form it is lighter than some but you can add weights inside the forend or on the outside. Natural balance with no weights is just about perfect at just in front of the mag well - which is a barricade stop. A RRS ARCA rail runs the complete length of the forend.

The AT-X AICS had its world preview yesterday. 

121C74D6-D5A9-4DC1-A443-08BAA2F4920C.thumb.jpeg.cedcbf433e175eb540f7d005ddcd6d7c.jpeg

the chassis is the same configuration and design features as the rifle but takes the existing 308 size AICS magazine system. 

initial inlet is for Rem700 clones, the AI actions ( if you want to un-glue 

your existing rifle) with Tikka T3 planned for future.

There will be a 22rf version of the chassis which will have a 3” shorter forend should you wish.

Dave Wylde demonstrated the ease of swapping from the demo REM 308 to a Bergara 22rf, which when swapped back did not change the POI of the 308. One small neat thing for me is the 2 action  bolts are captive in the chassis, nice detail.

Shooting the old 308 ( glittery brick 😉) in the AT-X chassis was very stable and the difference between the AI target trigger and the slightly upgraded Rem700.

Again the rifle is neutral in recoil, straight back 😎

Glad to see UKV - the premier accuracy forum in the UK were invited to the launch 

Thanks for posting Tel

Look forward to having one in my mitts 

1 hour ago, gazzarM1 said:

Left Hand options?

Think they are down the road a bit? The chassis could probably take a LH action, just the mag cut out'd be on the wrong side - but hat's small beer IMHO

T

Could anyone advise if these are standard with Small Diameter firing pin

asking for a friend like 😂😂 

I don’t undeestand the comments about the barrel and action being lower in the chassis? The distance between the c/l of bore and the underside of the arca rail doesn’t look any less than other chassis’ provide. Or are they comparing it to older AI’s?? Does this really matter when you rest it on a big fat bag anyway? Care to explain please? Or is the shoulder/recoil pad just higher?

40 minutes ago, lapua said:

I don’t undeestand the comments about the barrel and action being lower in the chassis? The distance between the c/l of bore and the underside of the arca rail doesn’t look any less than other chassis’ provide. Or are they comparing it to older AI’s?? Does this really matter when you rest it on a big fat bag anyway? Care to explain please? Or is the shoulder/recoil pad just higher?

Couldn’t agree more. If you want a ‘true’ low bore axis and ‘true’ straight back recoil impulse, buy a tube gun chassis.

My AWSM (.300wm) is surprisingly soft shooting with a moddy. But my Defiance/Eliseo tube gun (.338NM) is not far off due to the very efficient brake and straight line recoil. Feels more like a ‘push’ then a thump.A42143C0-7C3F-4A04-915D-44979DD5756C.thumb.jpeg.778a6013eafde9cddbabc65c1bfcef04.jpeg81F058B7-AA07-447C-9C31-50B09BD7B855.thumb.jpeg.b1f36bc505cca01bae303ac1acb067bf.jpeg 

1 hour ago, lapua said:

It does sit quite a bit lower compared to standard. Most people who’ve shot it have noticed a positive difference. 

The take home message for most I would imagine would be.... would I sell my existing AI to get an AT-X. No. If I didn’t own one, but wanted one.... would I choose the AT-X over others, quite possibly. 

181CBA99-9A40-42E9-870E-D8DD32D64D21.jpeg

The forend is definitely lower (base to C/L of barrel) than previous AI Models, that is the design point I believe

Certainly interested in a AICS comp chassis for a BAT RS I have that i'm not sure would or would not fit (multi facet action but Rem 700 spacing)

Im glad the designers have decided to retain the three position saftey over the AR15 style saftey that early design models showed on US based sites.

I do wonder if the pistol grip is the best choice though, the straight designs (MDT) are far more comfortable for my pinkies

2 hours ago, Roy W said:

Doesn't it say it will accept any AR15 grip? If so, the Magpul MOE K2 is almost vertical

1168738133_Screenshot2021-05-16at10_00_26.thumb.png.7c60ace47880eb416aa9b7433a954f1c.png

Designed to accept’AR’ grips so you can fit a vertical etc. If you should so wish.

3 hours ago, Catch-22 said:

Couldn’t agree more. If you want a ‘true’ low bore axis and ‘true’ straight back recoil impulse, buy a tube gun chassis.

My AWSM (.300wm) is surprisingly soft shooting with a moddy. But my Defiance/Eliseo tube gun (.338NM) is not far off due to the very efficient brake and straight line recoil. Feels more like a ‘push’ then a thump.A42143C0-7C3F-4A04-915D-44979DD5756C.thumb.jpeg.778a6013eafde9cddbabc65c1bfcef04.jpeg81F058B7-AA07-447C-9C31-50B09BD7B855.thumb.jpeg.b1f36bc505cca01bae303ac1acb067bf.jpeg 

If you are shooting off a barricade or more so off tripods then this straight line recoil does make a difference as you are trying to spot your shots , this is aimed at the ‘PR’ market not square on scored back paper.

As to ‘why not a tube gun?’ Cannot answer you on that only my observation that no one at any ‘PR’ matches I’ve been to ( pre money making and post) I’ve not seen a tube gun used and ( I hate pointing folks to the US) look at the ‘what the pros use’ do not think they feature there? Caveat the one comp where there was close to a tube was where David Tubb was using his T2000 and he lost to a ‘standard’ rifle. 

Tube rifles work, but perhaps not in all applications?

20 minutes ago, AHPP said:

If AI keep development going in this direction, they'll be making guns as good as DTA in maybe only twenty or thirty years.

???? Bit of an unnecessary comment as this rifle is aimed (no pun) at the ‘PR’ competition market  🤔

1 hour ago, terryh said:

Designed to accept’AR’ grips so you can fit a vertical etc. If you should so wish.

Wasn't aware of this Tel

Good call to make as multitude of designs available 

One step closer to a chassis then 

If the action sits lower in the stock recoil will be more direct, not necessarily less. The more muzzle flip the less recoil being directed back. It’s more of an issue in semi auto platforms, particularly open pistols. Looking at something with a very  low bore axis like an Alien pistol your wrist takes a lot of hammer. A better compromise can be something with a higher bore and well designed compensator. 

The AI ATX looks to be like a lower cost option lacking some of the gucci bits like AI’s excellent folding stock and tool-less stock adjustments. A good argument can be made that these are not required for PRS etc.

If it’s made from 6061- mehh, if it’s made from 7075 - it’s got my attention, if it were made from magnesium and carbon fibre- it would have my undivided attention....... (and be called a KRG Habu, I know).

Dave

Think folding stock will be an option. 

Tried the 6.5 Cm version which then had one of The Valkyrie MB’s fitted, very effective design with, by the looks of it, gas ‘defectors’ ( for want of a better term) in each chamber 

T

Just some observations if anyone is interested.

Regarding recoil, it is a noticeable improvement. I own and still use an AW in competition having done so for some time and have put 400 rounds through the new AT-X in testing and at the the launch.

The perceived recoil with AT-X is the biggest difference, particularly shooting of barricades or with bipod, much less muzzle flip due to lower bore hight pivot and what you do feel is straight back, sight picture is easier to maintain and you can adjust the butt pad very high in shoulder which helps recoil mitigation.

As terry said combined with a decent brake like the Valkyrie one fitted to the rifles at the launch it makes for a very shootable platform.

Trigger is very good and can set it up how you like.

Regarding the stock adjustability, I can’t see any need for quick stock adjustment on rifle like this and that’s why it’s not fitted, set and forget, I do not see any need to adjust it on the move. 

Modularity of AR15 type pistol grip is useful, personally I would swap out the pistol grip for a 90 degree one or Ergo grip.

It’s an impressive package. 

Thanks for that Dan - interesting to hear with regards the longer term use you have on the gun 

Seems to me that A I are on to a winner for steel plate comps with this as either a complete rifle or chassis 

Especially if it’s available as a “kit” with the bonding material and washers to swap to existing AI rifles for those that shoot primarily comps but want to utilise a new chassis over replacement rifle 

For those starting out or looking to buy in to a turn key system this could be the answer - though high end, it may be worth saving for - for those on a budget