Load development

Jeffo1960

Been trying out this Saterley, 10 round load development, using Hornady 168 gr ELDM,. 308, as hoping to shoot long range, so my question is

41. 8  2425, 42. 1  2435,

42.4. 2433,  also

44.5  2580,  44.8  2580,so do I load in between these, at . 2 grain stepts,as I usually just shoot for groups, for my hunting loads,  I am using Vit N 140,i have gone up to 45.4, I am over book max but no signs of over pressure, so thinking of going up some more to see if I get another node, at more velocity, any help on this would be appreciated 

• 3 weeks later...

Do 10 round load development. 5 rounds does not give enough data to show/suggest a node which is what you are looking for. You have just done a pressure test.

Isn't that hell of a slow for a 168gr particularly if you are at book max?  Suggests short barrel, wrong powder ? I am launching 165gr out of a 20" barrel at 2700 fps and that's not really hot.

You maybe need to rethink your approach. Think there is a post on Snipershide from a few years back where Frank took a shorty out to 1000 but with a 185 grain Berger Juggernaught. 

45 grains of N550 gave me 2611 FPS with a 168 Amax and a 26” barrel . Looking at the lapua website I’m over 2 grains above max on some loads with no signs of any damage . Keep going in .5 steps till you find another sweet spot then fine tune again . With Sierra 168s lapua site says 47.? Of n550 for 2729 FPS from 24” barrel. Slow and heavy bullets really do better than fast and light  . Laurie commented on my post years ago saying the boat tail didn’t help on the 168 amax and that it’s not too good over 600 yards.

Cheers 

Well done hope you get good results . For 1000 yards I had some good success with 155 Sierra Tmk and bergers . Tmk needed about .2 mil less drop than the Berger . Best we’re 175 LRBT or 185 juggernaut bergers  . These need 10.4 to 11 mil of up adjust with a 100 y zero  . Shot at eskdalemuir with StrelokPro and shot the gongs from 300 to 1k and trued  up the drops in StrelokPro to real time figures , known FPS so just tweak the bc a bit . Wrong temp and millibar pressures make a big difference at 1000 y . 4 pint milk jug at 700 was easy but gong at 1014 was hard work . You’ll get addicted- have fun 

cheers