A&D FZ120i

Jeffo1960

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You will not obtain greater accuracy over a set of quality beam scales. You will however cut the time it takes to produce ammo in any volume significantly, assuming you are going to pair the scales with the Autotrickler and Autothrow kit? in which case a cheaper alternative would be adding a Targetmaster setup to your beam scales.

I'm not poo poo-ing the A&D scale/Autotrickler/throw combo, I have two and would never change - but if you're hoping to see reduced SD/ES I think you'll be disappointed.  They're more of a quality of life/speed improvement than anything else.

2 hours ago, One on top of two said:

Can you weigh 0.02 grains on a beam scale?  ( serious question ) all the ones I have seen just go  to 0.1 

.02 is around a single kernel of Varget - This is enough to reliably and consistently register on a good beam scale. The problem is, under normal conditions the small movement is difficult to see. With a cheap USB camera added to the scale seeing these small movements is much easier.

This is a bottom of the range current RCBS basic scale:

I have a target master and beam scales, which I highly rate, but recently my ES and SD are all over the place, I borrowed a digital scale of someone nothing fancy, and they came a little better, so I am guessing I got a problem with my beam scale, as hoping to get into long range shooting 

3 hours ago, Jeffo1960 said:

I have a target master and beam scales, which I highly rate, but recently my ES and SD are all over the place, I borrowed a digital scale of someone nothing fancy, and they came a little better, so I am guessing I got a problem with my beam scale, as hoping to get into long range shooting 

Do you anneal your brass? If not, that could very well be the cause of a sudden shift in your ES/SD as the brass becomes increasingly work hardened.

I believe the presence of a carbon ring, at the throat/neck junction, can cause increased pressure spikes, affecting ES/SD.

4 hours ago, Jeffo1960 said:

Does fluorescent lights affect the A and D as I have 1 which will be approx 5 foot away, and anything else that will affect it, before I pull the trigger on one

Not tried with fluorescent lights but the A&D scales are very sensitive. They come with wind guards, worth using. I also use a line conditioner on the power supply. But the main thing to be aware of (I think it applies to all scales, not just the A&D) is being near a window or in a space that will warm up with the sun. I find if reloading during the middle of a warm day I notice the scales wander just a bit, I assume as everything warms up and the air in the room warms. It doesn’t wander much, perhaps about +0.02gn to +0.04gn (which is around 1 to 2 kernels of N140) not much, but something to note.

You won’t be disappointed with the A&D, especially if you hook it up with the Autothrow and Autotricker combo...it’s just so quick and very reliable. 

As with any lab grade balance, keep out of drafts , keep out of sunlight , place on a marble/granite or similar slab to deaden any vibration .

also away from any magnetic sources and buy decent calibration weights . I use E2 grade 100g and 50g which are accurate to 0.001 

These  balances are very very sensitive ( even more so than some of the people on this forum ) so apply some common sense when thinking about your setting up location and your be fine . 

What size marble /granite slab, you use, as scale won't be here for approx 2 weeks, as would like to get everything ready for when received, going to put it in a corner, so should be protected from drafts, and any direct sunlight, 

For my beam scale I use a 16" x 12" granite slab (I can see one on top of two has two, flash git 😆), I "cement" it down with blue tack on the corners and use a "Wixey" digital angle gauge/level (Model WR365) to get it level on all planes.

I use the same approach as 1066 above for looking at the beam scale and use a USB camera connected to a tablet which lets me look at at the magnified portion of the 0 on the scale at eye level which really reduces the fatigue on my peepers. 

I also blue tack at the corners of the beam scale once I'm "zeroed" as the granite slab offers no traction for the feet and can be shifted easily by accident (I check the level of the granite and the zero of the beam scale every time - its all part of the rabbit hole that's known as "consistency" 😁).

BTW none of these items are expensive 😋

HTH 👍

🙂

Got my AND 120 sat on the bench with a dandy product s trickler . Throw your powder to approx 2 grain lower than set point then trickle in to spot on weight  . Two kernels of N150 = 0.02 grains . Even on max sensitivity let it settle a few seconds . Add or take out a couple of kernel s by tweezers to get it cock on . 

A&D should be here in a couple of weeks,i have a target master with a web cam and tablet great bit of kit ,but i want to upgrade,debating weather to order the V3 and be done with it,or use my Dandy trickler

As the saying goes .. but once cry once .

I just bought the lot as I didn’t want any compatibility  issues down the line as I’m not really technically smart enough to sort them out .

I have to say the whole thing really does work seamlessly together . And I love the way I can control everything via Bluetooth from my iPad /iPhone. 
Adam Is really easy to deal with and comes across as a really nice chap .