Sightron SIII 6-24x50 on a .22rf?

Dodder

Gents, I am thinking of upgrading the MTC Mamba currently on my Finnfire Range. I am looking at the Sightron SIII 6-24x50 as a possibility as I think the glass will be much better along with maybe a 4-20 x50 STac although the glass on these is supposedly not quite as good as the SIII.  These are both available with an MOA reticule which is not too different to the Xmas tree SCB ret on the Mamba which I really like as it gives multiple aim point without having to dial.

Is anyone using one of these on a .22rf and if so what are your opinions please?  I know they are only supposed to parallax down to 40yds but are they actually usable below this range, say at 25yds? Thanks.

I've got the S-Tac 4-20x50 on my PCP air rifle and had it on my .22RF. I've just tried it out the kitchen window and the parallax close focus is 10m.  It's been reliable and always tracked precisely. The glass is perfectly usable in daylight and with a PARD 007, though the x4 magnification is magnified to about x6.

Hope that helps.

The Sightron 6-24x50 currently on sale at OW is a real steal in my opinion:

https://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/sightron-siii-ss-6-24x50-lr-sfp-ir-moa-2-tactical-turret-1-ir-rifle-scope

Illuminated MOA reticle, 1/4" clicks, 100 minutes of elevation, good quality glass.

BUT as you noted it won't correct the parellax below 40 yards. So probably not a scope for a .22 unless your into long-range .22 shooting of course!

I've just checked with an SIII 8-32x56, which has nominally the same parellax range. At below 40 yards the parellax error is bad - the scope will easily focus to below that range, but the position of the reticle on the target will move dependent on your head/eye position behind the scope. So at 20m I can easily introduce 50mm of error by changing my head position, dropping down to about 10mm at 30m and disappearing at 40m. 

I've heard that it's possible to re-parellax a scope by changing the position of the objective lens, but I suspect that might invalidate your guarantee. Paul Burke in Birmingham might be able to do that for you, he's very good with scopes.

https://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/adjust-objective-lense-on-a-side-focus-scope-to-reduce-minimum-distance.4005049/

Triffid

Thanks to you both, really helpful replies and just the sort of information I was after.  The S-Tac is certainly in the running and would I'm sure be fine and hopefully better glass than my MTC.  However the model you linked to above at OW is the SIII I was looking at and is a great deal and actually cheaper than the illuminated S-Tac, hence my interest in it.

TBH I am after a scope for long range on my Finnfire so the SIII probably would fit the bill.  Can anyone maybe tell me how the S-Tac compares to the SIII glass wise and also is either going to be the big improvement over the MTC Mamba I'm looking for?  I have always been happy with the MTC's for rimfire and air rifles and as said love the multiple aim points of the SCB ret.  But recently I seem to noticing some whiteout when looking anywhere close to the direction of the sun, although it may just be my wafty old eyes!

I use one on my P94s and to my eyes and my use, it’s perfect.  I rarely get onto a bunny below 70 yards and I use rangefinder bins and know my clicks out to 100 yds. It’s ffp with the MOA2 reticle and on 24x still fine enough. Much prefer to dial in, rather than try to hold over.  
I like them so much I have one on a 6.5x55, light enough to stalk with and a capped version with fine crosshair reticle on my .204.  

I haven't used any of the Sightron S-Tac range, but it's seen as the slightly poorer cousin of the SIII & SV scopes. I understand that the S-Tacs are assembled in the Phillipines while the SIII & SV in Japan (https://sageratsafaris.com/kenko-tokina-rifle-scope-oem/). Not that that tell you very much as ultimately the quality of the scope is more dependent on the quality of the materials (glass) that go into it, the exact specifications/accuracy required and the level of QC used.   So many of the quality non-european scopes around come out of the same Light Optical Works factory in Japan (supposedly including Athlon, Cronus, Bushnell Forge, Delta Stryker, Nightforce NXS/NX8/SHV, Vortex Razor), but that doesn't mean they are all the same scope nor identical quality.

As I'm looking to spend alot of money (for me) on a new scope for long-range shooting I've done quite alot of research in the matter. I've currently got an S&B PM2 12-50, a March X 5-50 and an IOR Terminator 12-52 all borrowed from one of my richer friends (no kids!) and set-up on a tripod alongside my Sightron SIII 8-32: nearly £10k worth of glass in front of me!  Can I tell the difference optically - yes, but not very much. The SIII has slightly less resolution than the others (if you look REALLY closely), but the image is bright & forgiving. The March has the best resolution, but the image appears tunnelled to me, the S&B 's resolution is a close second, but the reticle doesn't stand out and the image is flat and grey. The IOR has a lovely bright image, but the illumination is rubbish, the head-box very fussy and I don't like the front-parallax system as I tend to twist the whole rifle/scope setup when I'm trying to focus.

So what I'm trying to say in an over-complicated way is that what people like in scopes is a personal matter and what one person likes, another doesn't. There are lots of professional reviews out there - Utting and DLO particularly - who really know what they are talking about and give their opinion, but that won't necessarily mean that you'll agree with them and what counts is your opinion on a scope. And you might find you prefer your existing scope.

My suggestion is to try the OW offer as it's such a steal. Get you hands on the scope and compare it to what you've got. The distance selling regulations are on your side here, so if it's not what you want you can send it back for a refund - just make sure it's in perfect, unmouted condition. Or go down there once things open up and do some back-to-back comparisons yourself. Sportsmans Gun Centre is in the same neck of the woods and they also do a few scopes!

Triffid