Rabbit Rifle

Mossy-dog

I have a .22LR and it’s handy but I could do with something with a bit more range / flatter shooting for shooting at night, mainly with NV. 

Common sense says a HMR is the obvious choice but I’m a bit fickle and don’t love the idea of one so looking for thoughts on WMR, Hornet (.22 or .17) or even a .17 rem potentially. 

Not firing millions of rounds, do reload (very basically). Noise isnt a massive issue other than disturbing other rabbits (I use a .22-250 occasionally for the job when I get really pissed off) but less is better. 

Am I just being stubborn with avoiding the HMR or is one of those options a real contender, I’ve never used any of them but quite like the idea of the hornet. 

Not want you want to hear, but personally love the hmr for bunnies with nv or thermal, .22LR rarely leaves cabinet. Also have a 17H but purely for twatting bunnies out to 150 or so with NV/thermal, I find grabbing an hmr and a box of ammo from the cabinet and heading out suits me - I really couldn't be bothered loading a couple of hundred for the hornet every week for rabbits. I only take a small CF for rabbits if I'm shooting somewhere that foxes are also likely on the menu, otherwise its a rimmy every time - cheap as chips if youre whacking a couple of hundred+ rabbits a week. HMR is definitely marmite, yes theres been some dodgy ammo, but personally never had any issues.

End of the day, we buy what we want, if you have a 17rem itch you need to scratch...

Thanks for that - it’s not a dislike of HMR or anything to do with bullets really, I know plenty people who shoot thousands of rounds through theirs with no problems - it’s more just a stubbornness and wanting to feel special 

I think I know that it’s the right choice really and the 17rem is probably too much but the hornet had peaked my interest a bit 

I have always liked the sound of a .221 Fireball for a rabbit rifle - but they are not common.

However, the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook shows that the much more readily available .222 Remington can be safely loaded to match normal .22 Hornet velocities.

Another vote for the 22 Hornet. My son and I both shoot CZ 527's and love them. It's almost embarassing to admit that these are two of the most accurate CF rifles in the house, but when fed the ammo they like, they are. Prairiedog, rabbit, coyote: works well.~Andrew

Another vote for the 22 hornet

13 grains of Lil gun with a 40 grain V Max bullet will give you a 2 inch kill zone from 20-180 yards or a 1 inch kill zone from 30-150 yards

Cheers

Bruce

Another for .17HMR as preferred option. Never was very impressed with .17Hornet. A .20 cal or .223 will do everything the .17H will do and more. Noise,  barrel length, carry weight, magazine capacity,  safety and bulk ammo deals are reason for preference.

I ditched the 17HMR and went to the 17Hornet. No regrets. It’s everything I’d hoped the 17HMR would be but wasn’t. 

Maybe the 17HMR ammo has improved since I used it last but even when working as advertised it doesn’t compare to a 25gr V-max at 3400fps (3397fps@14C). 

Reloading keeps costs down (especially the bulk 17gr for plinking, with sniff powder) but I will say that 17Hornet isn’t the most forgiving to reload for (small charges, small funnels, small everything!)

I use it for rabbits because the cliff edges, gorse-covered gullies and ridges around me don’t offer 22LR range shots and limited opportunity to stalk in. 

If I’m knowingly after fox, I’ll take 204Ruger or 223Rem but should I encounter a fox while out with the 17Hornet, I know it’ll do the job.

12CBF6DD-D283-45F8-9E60-3803FA93F93C.jpg

23771-CAC-90-B2-45-C7-8-CA8-0201-DC8-B4-

1 minute ago, Bangbangman said:

I ditched the 17HMR and went to the 17Hornet. No regrets. It’s everything I’d hoped the 17HMR would be but wasn’t. 

Maybe the 17HMR ammo has improved since I used it last but even when working as advertised it doesn’t compare to a 25gr V-max at 3400fps (3397fps@14C).

You're really not comparing apples with apples here, to be fair to the little HMR. I sold my first HMR, bought a 17H, and have since bought 2 more HMRs 😜

Shooting 50 rabbits a night at 50-150 yards with NV or thermal I still think the HMR is hard to beat. If you cant get that close, shoot in difficult conditions or regular whack foxes while shooting rabbits then fair enough, something with more ooomph makes sense. Tbh, I rarely use my 17H (usually a few times a year on corvids in summer), 204 comes out every time instead for fox, although I completely agree that the 17H flops gingas over no problem.

2 minutes ago, GT3_richy said:

You're really not comparing apples with apples here, to be fair to the little HMR. I sold my first HMR, bought a 17H, and have since bought 2 more HMRs 😜

Shooting 50 rabbits a night at 50-150 yards with NV or thermal I still think the HMR is hard to beat. If you cant get that close, shoot in difficult conditions or regular whack foxes while shooting rabbits then fair enough, something with more ooomph makes sense. Tbh, I rarely use my 17H (usually a few times a year on corvids in summer), 204 comes out every time instead for fox, although I completely agree that the 17H flops gingas over no problem.

I don’t shoot rabbits in that volume, otherwise I’d probably be more inclined to use the 17HMR.

1 minute ago, Bangbangman said:

I don’t shoot rabbits in that volume, otherwise I’d probably be more inclined to use the 17HMR.

If I was shooting half a dozen a night, or shooting them during day time and could knock them off at range I'd probably choose to use a CF to be fair.

No wrong answer is there :)

I had an hmr for a while but sold it as I just couldn't get the accuracy I was after.  This may have been ammo related, but every time I missed with it I never knew if it was me or the rifle.  I've had a .17Rem which was good but now have a .17Fireball which is ridiculously accurate (mines a Cooper) so can heartily recommend one of those assuming you can find one.  I nearly bought a Sako M78 that had been rebarreled in .17AH but it never came off.   I have always fancied a .22 Hornet - plenty about and relatively cheap or you could go for a .222 but thats possibly not too dis-similar from your .22-250 but it is a lovely round and inherently accurate.  Enjoy doing your research and the search for your new rifle.

Having got totally bogged down yet choice I’ve been using my .22-250 for hares in some plantings and now I’m I’m no mad rush. 

a .222 / .223 with a 40gn varmint grenade could be another option. 

such a massive choice is a pain sometimes, especially when you are being a bit picky for no reason! 

The hornet itch is, however still there!! 

• 1 month later...

id go for the hornet of the one's mentioned or 17 fireball , both have good range and will moderate well , but have about 2x the distance of the 22rf . atb

• 7 months later...

Hmr no problem if your doing big numbers upto 150 yards . I would start with the 22lr first until they run when they see movement or get used to a person then run , once at this stage use the extra range of the hmr with good quality ammo hornady or cci . Then move onto night shooting with the hmr as bunnies don’t usually know where the bang came from . I’ve shot over 2700 rabbits over the last 2 years and would hate to think how much that’ll cost if only using centrefire. Upto now it’s over £300 of rimfire ammo . Trying to get the last skittish ones with the 223 before the new crop of young dumbnuts come out to breed . Roll on the Easter bunny . Cheers 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2021 at 10:03 PM, Mossy-dog said:

I have a .22LR and it’s handy but I could do with something with a bit more range / flatter shooting for shooting at night, mainly with NV. 

Common sense says a HMR is the obvious choice but I’m a bit fickle and don’t love the idea of one so looking for thoughts on WMR, Hornet (.22 or .17) or even a .17 rem potentially. 

Not firing millions of rounds, do reload (very basically). Noise isnt a massive issue other than disturbing other rabbits (I use a .22-250 occasionally for the job when I get really pissed off) but less is better. 

Am I just being stubborn with avoiding the HMR or is one of those options a real contender, I’ve never used any of them but quite like the idea of the hornet. 

HMR is a super cartridge, mine a Ruger M77/17 All-Weather (stainless heavy barrel) can head shoot out to 200 yards on a fine day, but is not so clever in the wind, that's just the way it is. If I was moving up then it would be the 17 Hornet, as that is a little peach; fast, flat-shooting and good accuracy potential.

• 1 month later...