Tikka T3x Tac a1 or varmint in MDT stock

Looking for some advice, I am looking at getting a new 223 and was looking at the Tikka range.

I like the look of the tac a1 but was considering wether a varmint which I believe has a slightly larger barrel diameter and is cut to m18x1 which I prefer, along with a Timney trigger and new chassis like an MDT would be as if not more accurate for similarish money?

Any advice?

Got a Tac A1 can’t get more accurate than one hole, having said that, not a fan of the chrome moly barrel, because of rust, stainless is a bit more Durable if you come in late one night and don’t clean it.

The barrel material is what irked me about the Tac A1 also. Everything else seems spot on and great value for the price and I'd happily even pay extra for the option of upgrading it to stainless, but there isn't even the option! I still plan on getting one in the future and just getting it immediately cerakoted.

Barrel material was one of my concerns, as I am not always the most meticulous with my rifles and have normally opted for cerakoted or stainless, saying that my RPR has faired pretty well so far as standard.

Does any one know if you can change the stock out on the Tac? i.e is it a standard buffer tube fitted much like the RPR?

This may not be of any use to you. But. I personally do not think the Tac A1 is a "carry gun". I don't recall the weight, but if fitted with a moderator, bipod, scope, mounts, a full 10 round mag and sling. It's quite weight to carry. I personally do not class it as a "carry gun"......

Just my opinion....

Very happy with my new t3x varmint stainless 1:8” twist . Still as standard . Big  wildcat mod and S & B scope with wr 10 round mag it’s getting heavy . Added timney trigger now set to 1.25 pound and a picatinny rail genuine tikka part  . Latest rabbits shot 212 yards with sako ammo . Was going to chassis it but happy with how it is as standard for now . Works great shooting off tripod system with hog clamp .

cheers 

• 2 weeks later...

Had no problems with rust on or inside my TacA1 in 4 years of use.  I know some have.  I agree with Chaz.  I have used mine for deer but it's close on 13lbs all up with an S&B PMII and mod and no field gun unless you're planning on setting up in one position for long range corvid action or similar.  Having to trudge up some steep hills carrying a deer and the rifle convinced my bad back once was enough so I take a lighter rifle out for field work now.

• 3 weeks later...