Only place where muzzle breaks (did that on purpose Pops) are a “thing” in my experience is Bisley.

They do seem to wind people up down there.

Always declare them on my bookings when I use them, never seems to stop some folks moaning though.

4 minutes ago, SMLE said:

Only place where muzzle breaks (did that on purpose Pops) are a “thing” in my experience is Bisley.

They do seem to wind people up down there.

Always declare them on my bookings when I use them, never seems to stop some folks moaning though.

Its a particular type that complains, they are all the same.

On 5/4/2021 at 2:44 PM, Catch-22 said:

But not really as we’re not permitted sabot rounds in the U.K. without special license. So again, not really relevant.

Where is this written, please? Has it changed recently?

I think you are thinking of APDS which are mentioned in Guidance as being ammunition for prohibited weapons (and therefore prohibited in their own right), but the Guidance specifically states that shooters may want to manufacturer their own sub-calibre ammunition using sabot (para 13.92).

1 hour ago, Mattnall said:

Where is this written, please? Has it changed recently?

I think you are thinking of APDS which are mentioned in Guidance as being ammunition for prohibited weapons (and therefore prohibited in their own right), but the Guidance specifically states that shooters may want to manufacturer their own sub-calibre ammunition using sabot (para 13.92).

Good question. It was always written as a condition on my FAC, that I could not purchase ‘expanding and explosive ammunition, including sabot, and missiles’. However this no longer appears listed on my FAC since a recent renewal. Despite it no longer being stated as a condition, I believed sabot still wasn’t permitted. Apologies if that’s not the case. 

12 hours ago, Geezedtee said:

Lets not lose site of what this sight is for and this is clearly a case of a bent muzzle break.

Also, I have reliable information from my CHIS at FAL that FAC (FF202), Condition 5 AOLQ, does not include Wee Donkeys.

Sorry.

😂😂

• 4 weeks later...

When I first started shooting, as a direct response to the moaning on this forum about muzzle brakes, I paid for a variation on my ticket for my .308 etc. for mods.  I then invested in a mod for my .308, all because I didn’t want the be the pariah it was suggested I would be on here should I use my Sabatti STR with the factory fitted brake. I then took it to a range and tried it out. In a very short space of time, despite the fat barrel, it got very hot and the moire effect on the sight made shooting impossible. I asked all my fellow shooters if they objected to my using my brake a no one minded in the slightest. I have not experienced any of the anti-muzzle brake rhetoric anywhere other than on here in the real world of shooting. In my home club some object to them 8n the 50metre tunnel, but then other than getting zero there’s no reason to use anything over .22LR at 50m IMHO. I have yet to visit Bisley, but have been told that one needs to fess up to a brake when booking. 

i have osteoporosis and short of giving up long range shooting, I do not see that there is a real world alternative. Pretty much everyone I shoot with uses a brake and on the odd occasions my lane buddy doesn’t, I can’t say the experience has been improved mesmerically. Shooting outdoors, my experience has been that the myriad disadvantages of using a mod out way any positives. 

5 hours ago, Ralpharama said:

When I first started shooting, as a direct response to the moaning on this forum about muzzle brakes, I paid for a variation on my ticket for my .308 etc. for mods.  I then invested in a mod for my .308, all because I didn’t want the be the pariah it was suggested I would be on here should I use my Sabatti STR with the factory fitted brake. I then took it to a range and tried it out. In a very short space of time, despite the fat barrel, it got very hot and the moire effect on the sight made shooting impossible.  

Hi Ralph, The STR Muzzle brake is a pepper pot design which doesn't seem quite as bad/intrusive to neighbours next to you as those that vent the gasses outwards (and sometimes backwards) from the flutes on the sides. 

With regard to shooting with a mod and the resultant mirage, I use a mod cover and have a home made mirage band that I tie between the mod cover and the scope mount (same principle like this one). Its vey effective.

HTH

G

4 hours ago, gruntus said:

Hi Ralph, The STR Muzzle brake is a pepper pot design which doesn't seem quite as bad/intrusive to neighbours next to you as those that vent the gasses outwards (and sometimes backwards) from the flutes on the sides. 

With regard to shooting with a mod and the resultant mirage, I use a mod cover and have a home made mirage band that I tie between the mod cover and the scope mount (same principle like this one). Its vey effective.

HTH

G

MY STR came with a brake with side ports. When I bought my Sabatti .300 Win mag it didn’t come with s as brake and I was lent a pepper pot brake but it was fairly ineffectual. I copied the one on my STR in a bit of 316 stainless from a narrow boat prop shaft I was given, except that I made the hole much closer in size to the actual projectile which works really well and my .300WM has noticeably less recoil than the STR. 

1EE3F74D-5236-499E-8DEA-1CA973AC3D1C.jpeg

949AB11F-8B87-4EDC-BF18-142EB18C46DA.jpeg

• 1 year later...
On 4/17/2021 at 11:55 AM, martin_b said:

I  hate muzzel brakes!   However if you have to use them please show a bit of courtesy to your Neighbours and let them know when you're going using them please.

Im in lane X this AM at Bisley  in X+1 X+2 and X+3 is a club with between 1 and 3 of them using brakes, The rule about one free lane between shooter seems to be ignored now,  the blast is bad enough but its the noise I really object to, so please have the decency to warn your fellow shooters.

<Rant over>

I have just seen this this and whole heartedly agree !! I hate the things and most that use them at Bisley do not declare them when booking 

Some TR types at Bisley are convinced they suffer "passive concussion" from other people's brakes.  Not sure that would stand up to any medical opinion especially compared to being about 26" from their own muzzle and when competing, many, many others.   

Having said that, I've not had any negativity from others when shooting at Bisley with my club

I was shooting a comp on Short Siberia at 200 yards, ten rounds in ten minutes was the course of fire then, I was use a 22 semi auto for a small bore comp, on the same firing point was a full bore rifle with a muzzle brake, I was asked by the ROs if I wanted to wait, I declined and fired my rounds off in between his with no problems.