I  hate muzzel brakes!   However if you have to use them please show a bit of courtesy to your Neighbours and let them know when you're going using them please.

Im in lane X this AM at Bisley  in X+1 X+2 and X+3 is a club with between 1 and 3 of them using brakes, The rule about one free lane between shooter seems to be ignored now,  the blast is bad enough but its the noise I really object to, so please have the decency to warn your fellow shooters.

<Rant over>

What Martin_B just said........

I re-scheduled my session last week. The range office were good enough to let me know when they confirmed that I'd be next to brakers due to lack of space, so I brought it forward a day.

Pete

This is one of the reasons I have dumped Jet z mods on my range rifles , they are made to take a battering and I don’t get moaned at , also keep dirty looks at bay . 

that said I do quite understand why people don’t like them , especially when there on a rifle that clearly doesn’t need a brake , 

7 hours ago, martin_b said:

I  hate muzzel brakes!   However if you have to use them please show a bit of courtesy to your Neighbours and let them know when you're going using them please.

Muzzle brakes are declared when booking, so you can't blame them for not walking round telling everyone too.

So, is between 1 and 3 of them were using them, could you not have walked over and asked them if the muzzle braked  guns could use the lane farthest from you? They probably wouldn't have minded. 

I bet it wasn't as bad as having a club of about a dozen next to you, all stood just behind the point having half a dozen conversations (mostly conspiracy theory shite about Covid)  at the top of their voices to be heard over the shooting and whilst wearing ear defenders! 

Now that is inconsiderate.

1 hour ago, Roy W said:

I bet it wasn't as bad as having a club of about a dozen next to you, all stood just behind the point having half a dozen conversations (mostly conspiracy theory shite about Covid)  at the top of their voices to be heard over the shooting and whilst wearing ear defenders! 

😂😂

7 hours ago, John MH said:

Shot today at an NRA event where 90% of competitors were using Muzzle Brakes, no complaints from anyone.

Glad to see you back at CSR, John.

Ben

2 hours ago, Roy W said:

Muzzle brakes are declared when booking, so you can't blame them for not walking round telling everyone too.

So, is between 1 and 3 of them were using them, could you not have walked over and asked them if the muzzle braked  guns could use the lane farthest from you? They probably wouldn't have minded. 

couldn't agree more.  I'd add unwanted "advice" & "coaching"  from club mates - I'd rather have muzzle brakes all day on both sides 😁

I shoot brakes on all my long range rifles, from 6.5CM to 300WM. My shooting buddies use suppressors. I am considered "Uncivilized" so out of courtesy, I wait until they have shot and then I shoot. It is a private range situated on many thousands of vacant acres so my noise is less of a concern. I have noticed when shooting on one of our other ranges with a firing line situated in timber, the reverberation from my 308 would give me a headache, even with good quality muffs in place. We no longer shoot that location and this has ceased to be an issue. I like brakes for LR target shooting. I use well engineered brakes that are a direct mount. Even with my Win Mag, the lightest of my rifles, there is no appreciable recoil and I don't loose sight of the target. For me, this the trade off for the noise.~Andrew

between 1 and 3

Oooh wait, I know this one. 1..........3........divide by.........carry the 4...........9 remaining...........borrow a 1..............

Is it 2?

😉

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Jim DiGriz said:

The petals on the sabot of the slap round can engage with the vents on a muzzle brake causing much brief entertainment. So there is a vague link.

external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg

But not really as we’re not permitted sabot rounds in the U.K. without special license. So again, not really relevant.

Theres one thing not liking brakes, which I can understand. I own and use brakes on my own rifles but have/do experience concussion from others rifles when shooting near others. But hey, it comes with the territory. If you choose to engage in a sport who’s primary output is a massive bang and shockwave, then you’ve gotta expect you’re going to experience it. With appropriate hearing protection (I double up, with in ear plugs under my MSA electronic muffs) it’s not a big deal.

I think a previous suggestion to simply ask politely those with brakes be moved to one end is sensible. Using a brake isn’t wrong. It’s nothing to try and shun. Everyone has a right to shoot and we’re all in it together to enjoy our time on the range 👍😎

19 minutes ago, Kalahari said:

Can I rant on too. They are "MUZZLE BRAKES" if they were really "muzzle breaks" nobody would use them. Sorry just one of my fingernails down the blackboard things.

David.

Thank you - it drives me mad two when people use the wrong spelling

1 hour ago, brown dog said:

Definately

Mother of God and the wee Donkey!

12 hours ago, Popsbengo said:

Mother of God and the wee Donkey!

Lets not lose site of what this sight is for and this is clearly a case of a bent muzzle break.

Also, I have reliable information from my CHIS at FAL that FAC (FF202), Condition 5 AOLQ, does not include Wee Donkeys.

Sorry.

1 hour ago, Geezedtee said:

Lets not lose site of what this sight is for and this is clearly a case of a bent muzzle break.

Also, I have reliable information from my CHIS at FAL that FAC (FF202), Condition 5 AOLQ, does not include Wee Donkeys.

Sorry.

😂