Tumbling media options

gunner

hi folks , after some advice on what i can use as theres new ish pins and now chips being used for brass cleaning . I must say i have a vibratory lyman turbo 1200 so the std type . Im unsure if i can use pins or chips in this - trouble is i think the chips are supposed to be used wet etc. if possible id like to switch to chips as they seem to be the best  at brass cleaning . iv read quite alot of differing stuff but thought id just ask here to my darling forum members 😇 thanks in advance

This may or may not be of help, but when I tumbled, I used walnut media. I found it cleaned a bit better than corn cob as I think it’s a bit harder.

However, I gave up on all the tumbling stuff because I really disliked all the fine powder, carbon and other chemicals floating around and breathing in when you open the lid and empty the cases of media.

I switched to Ultra sonic cleaning. Only cost £50 of eBay and so far it’s been brilliant. Cases much cleaner than before and I feel it’s safer than before. If you go the U/S route, just apply some lube  to the inside of the necks before seating a bullet. I use HbN powder and works a charm. You could also use graphite or whatever. 

thnx catch im off to look at reviews of heated sonic cleaners - like you say i think iv accidentally breathed in the harmful dust before which could be contributing to odd health , i ideally need one for cleaning carburetta parts too so sounds ideal . iv always thought about getting one but never did .

I use an ultrasonic to clean after de-capping but after drying, I still tumble in walnut (with a tiny amount of jewellers rouge) as the polished finish seems to improve neck insertion consistency.  It's an extra step but my time is my own

With regard to dust,  ventilation and PPE work

ok iv ordered one should be here mid week , pops i agree on ventilation , i always did the separation outside but where there is still some risk was when i had used a brush to clean the inside necks after tumbling , there must still be some residue or dust in there being forced to go airborne isn't good . 

so now the question - whats is the best soloution  to use for the brass and what sort of temp should it be set at ? ty

30 minutes ago, gunner said:

ok iv ordered one should be here mid week , pops i agree on ventilation , i always did the separation outside but where there is still some risk was when i had used a brush to clean the inside necks after tumbling , there must still be some residue or dust in there being forced to go airborne isn't good . 

so now the question - whats is the best soloution  to use for the brass and what sort of temp should it be set at ? ty

I tried small doses of citric acid and detergent, worked ok but I now use Carbusonic EP26R.  It works very well indeed, bright and cleans off carbon https://www.carbusonic.co.uk/Jewellery---Precious-Metals/ £33 for 5Ltr but that makes up 80Ltr mix and I use the mix more than once so reasonable value (if left to stand the solids drop out of suspension)

30C~40C is sufficient.  Hotter may goose your U/S modules

thanks for the info pops