Steyr 222 twist rate

Hi all, so I have a question someone might be able to help me with. I have a 1989 Steyr 222, and enquired direct with Steyr about the twist rate. Apparently it is a 1:9 twist, or 1 in 228.6mm.

I thought this was pretty high given the 222 and ask to double check but they say it was taken directly from the drawing... anyone know anything about this?

You can check it yourself if you have a ball bearing swivel handle cleaning rod. Mark a stright line the length of the rod. Put a pencil mark on the muzzle. Put a tight patch on a jag and run it into the bore until the line on the rod aligns with the mark at the muzzle. Mark that spot on the rod line at rhe muzzle. Advance the rod until the line again aligns with the mark on the muzzle. Mark that spot on the line rod, again, at the muzzle. Remove the rod assembly. Measure between the marks you made at the muzzle. That's your twist.~Andrew

43 minutes ago, Andrew said:

You can check it yourself if you have a ball bearing swivel handle cleaning rod. Mark a stright line the length of the rod. Put a pencil mark on the muzzle. Put a tight patch on a jag and run it into the bore until the line on the rod aligns with the mark at the muzzle. Mark that spot on the rod line at rhe muzzle. Advance the rod until the line again aligns with the mark on the muzzle. Mark that spot on the line rod, again, at the muzzle. Remove the rod assembly. Measure between the marks you made at the muzzle. That's your twist.~Andrew

Hi Andrew thanks for the note, I did check the twist manually this week and it is indeed a 1:9, I check it around 20 times to double check and ensure I had done it correctly and on the 26” barrel it meat I could check it twice each time, and sure enough it is correct. I was just surprised give it being a 30year old rifle and most 222 from that era being a 1:14 or 1:12 as the 223 was developing... so I’m going to look to do some home loads and play with a few bullet weights to see how they do, I think it could get very close to the ballistics of a 223 round.