Deactivated Firearms - Notification of Possession

Roy W

By my reading, anyone who owns a Deactivated Firearms, which was in their possession before 14/09/2018 must now register their ownership with the Home Office as of yesterday.

I bet this catches out an awful lot of people who have forgotten.

Notification – possession
25. Under Regulation 3(1), a person in possession of a deactivated firearm commits an offence unless they have given notice of the deactivated firearm to the appropriate national authority or, where the deactivated firearm has been transferred to the person, the transfer has already been notified by the person transferring it. In most instances this will avoid the need for the same deactivated firearm to be declared twice.

26. Notice, where required, must be given on or before the day on which the person first possesses the deactivated firearm or, as soon as reasonably practicable after that date. The notice must give a description of the deactivated firearm including, if known, the make, calibre and serial number of the firearm and state the person’s name and address. There is no need to notify if the person is in possession of the deactivated firearm for a period of 14 days or less.

27. A form is provided for this purpose on GOV.UK - Notification of possession of a deactivated firearm to the appropriate national authority.

28. The required information must then be submitted to: deactivatedfirearmsnotifications@homeoffice.gov.uk or by registered post or recorded delivery to:

Deactivated Firearms Notifications 
Home Office 
Serious Violence Unit 
5th Floor, Fry Building 
2 Marsham Street 
London 
SW1P 4DF 
29. It is an offence for a person to transfer a deactivated firearm and not give notice of the transfer. Where notice of the transfer is given by the person transferring the deactivated firearm, the person acquiring it does not need to also give notice. However, where a deactivated firearm has been transferred and the person who transferred the firearm did not notify the Home Office of the transfer, the person acquiring the firearm should instead notify.

30. Where a person to whom a deactivated firearm has been transferred commits an offence under regulation 3(1), it is a defence for that person to show that they reasonably believed that the transferor had given, or would give, notice of the transfer in accordance with the arrangements set out within Regulation 2. A person guilty of an offence under these Regulations is liable to a level 1 fine (£200).

31. Regulation 4 makes transitional provision in respect of regulation 3 so that where a person came into possession of a deactivated firearm before 14 September 2018, the requirement to notify that deactivated firearm under regulation 3 will not take effect until 14 March 2021.

32. In practice this means that details of deactivated firearms acquired between 8 April 2016 (the date the EU technical specifications came into effect) and 14 September 2018, and which have remained unaltered ever since do not need to be notified to the appropriate national authority until 14 March 2021. If however at any time before 14 March 2021 a person in possession of a deactivated firearm acquired before 14 September 2018 transfers that deactivated firearm, then they will need to notify the Home Office of the transfer

22 minutes ago, Shuggy said:

I must admit this had passed me by completely. I was slightly alarmed until I read the detail on .gov.uk that firearms deactivated prior to 8 April 2016 are not covered by the regulations until they are transferred. Phew!

Another Pigs ear piece of legislation forced upon us by the EU.

Let's hope they undo it soon

BUT, I admit I also did a quick scurry to my docs to check the one I have,  phew, it was done in 2014!

BUT, our Gov. should have declared this invalid!

Our Gov. have joined the EU to shaft us in other ways as well, with the EFP.

Under "the deal" and under the "May" deal we retained the European Firearms Pass (EFP) and the Gov. guidance has been right up to Dec 2020 "the EFP will be invalid IF we do not have a deal", well, we had a deal, and the EFP is still invalid!!!! I have queried with my MP and the HO, and the HO minister, and it appears  they wanted to retain it, but that in the negotiation's the EU insisted it became invalid, and our guys folded!

This will make it very difficult to compete abroad, almost impractical.

Have Fun

Robin