22-25-0 and lead free bullets

Just gone  and  bought a Remmy 700(new) not sure what model as its a blacked varmint fluted with a Mcmillan, I presume it will be the  statutory 1-14 twist, has anyone  used copper in this  calibre and what were the results..

Regards

N

I've only tried the FOX Classis Hunter in 45gr. In thier standard tipped form they were a tad unstable but removing the plastic tip helped (they just pull out).

I made up a load (for my T3 rifle) with 35.2gr of Viht N135 which gave me around 3770fps. My case vol is 45.7gr/H2O'

On fox these are devastating, as good as any other bullet, not sure on deer, in fact i'd say overall the .22-250 isn't a good deer rifle as the rifle fires the bullets so fast they tend to make a mess of what they hit. Or just drill a hole if they are bullets are not soft enough and/or the target is. The std 22-250 slow twist really only suits short dumpy bullets so a lead,55gr, SP is about as long as you'd want to go and @ 3410fps they still make a bit of a mess. I tend to use the Sierra Varmint 50gr for foxing, it zeros @ 50 and 195yds @ 3630fps so it's within a 2" circle out to 230yds (assuming i hold the rifle still), not that I shoot out to those distances, 200yds is about my max. At 150yds the 22-250 blows holes in anything I hit, the bullet is still travelling @ around 2820fps and carrying 900ft/lb. The few deer I have shot with the 22-250 have put me off as the deers insides are generally mush and the shoulders wasted, it seemed like a good idea at the time, but it realy wasn't. 

• 4 weeks later...

*in Scotland* Used the Barnes TTSX 55gr on roe this year and very impressed with performance out to 150m, used this in conjunction with a . 270 Barnes TSX 130gr and was mighty surprised at the result. My preference for woodland stalking between these two bullet choices was the 22/250.

I have since changed my .270 back to TTSX and will never return to TSX for roe deer.

Hope this helps.

I think you will be hard pressed to find anything light enough to stabilise in what is indeed, a 1-14" twist.

The general rule of thumb when wanting to shoot solids, is to go one full inch/twist faster , than you would for a jacketed bullet.