Youtube videos

dorg

Having just watched a couple of gunsmithing and reloading videos, I am shocked at how wrong some of the advice is, It has really brought home to me that not everyone posting on youtube has any idea what they are on about. If you are like me still learning please be very aware some of the information is very wrong.

4 minutes ago, dorg said:

Having just watched a couple of gunsmithing and reloading videos, I am shocked at how wrong some of the advice is, It has really brought home to me that not everyone posting on youtube has any idea what they are on about. If you are like me still learning please be very aware some of the information is very wrong.

Well, I for one, am shocked and surprised; I've always taken Youtube as a fount of wisdom.  😉😂

Seriously, it's a good reminder of the crap that abounds on t'internet

That's exactly my concerns when anyone posts that beginner reloaders will find plenty of advice on the net.

How on earth do they expect someone new to know good from bad advice much less be able to know what latitude there is re safety on things like headspace if, for instance, shoulder bump doesn't come out exactly as expected?

37 minutes ago, DaveT said:

That's exactly my concerns when anyone posts that beginner reloaders will find plenty of advice on the net.

How on earth do they expect someone new to know good from bad advice much less be able to know what latitude there is re safety on things like headspace if, for instance, shoulder bump doesn't come out exactly as expected?

Who's they?  

Utilising critical thinking is how someone (everyone?) should make judgements about anything in life.  Bad advice has always been available to the unwary.  I recall as a keen novice motorbiker being urged to run-in my new bike:  "thrash it mate, it's the best way - this bloke down the pub told me".   Needless to say "bloke down the pub" was clearly an expert like many a Youboober.

I always advise novices in our club to buy a few good books and study them before starting to watch any videos and to consider who is telling them - ie, bloke in a garage vs. manufacturers presentations.  In my opinion annealing is one of the most misunderstood and often incorrectly advised techniques.

48 minutes ago, FB66 said:

+1 worse they even get paid for making the content

And some of the content is deserving of being payed - some of it is excellent.  The problem is isn't about money, there's plenty of dimwitted know-nothings offering advice on all manner of things - caveat emptor

POPS ....the  'They' that I refer to is anyone posting something aimed at the complete novice that does not include safety and performance lattitudes in what otherwise might be completely sound advice.

Typically you get the 'How To' posted but not much on what the novice is supposed to do when the results are not exactly what was expected.

I reference or example particularly these sort of concerns that a complete novice should really get first hand from a knowledgeable demonstrator ....at least in my view.

• I overdid shoulder bump but is it still safe to fire and how can I improve my sizing technique?
  • I trimmed my brass too much can I still use it?
  • My neck tension is not what I expected...why?

I DO TOTALLY agree with you that it's up to the individual to do as much as he can to get it right but YouTube stuff , in many cases, glosses over problems which the novice WILL encounter.