eskdalemuir ranges

Borisserge

As a European range owner I have recently upgraded my range to add a full-auto capability and other things. As part of that I was required to do a H&S sound test ( a standard for any commercial activity cost about £2k here in CZ plus an extra £1k for other H&S aspects). Presumably the U.K. will have similar protocols. At that point arguments become moot - the shooting times, number of rounds and caliber are determined from a database from the sound levels.

I think that it would be sensible to do this ASAP so any legal objections are dealt with in a data driven way and not from emotional argument.

As a guide I am about 1.5km away from the nearest residence. I ended up with 7am-10pm daily use, 9k / 9mm, 5k /223 &308 etc down to 425/338 Lapua per day. Nothing that’s going to give me an issue.....OTOH there is peace-of- mind from the greentards and religious fanatics.

On 3/8/2021 at 4:05 PM, ds1 said:

As a European range owner I have recently upgraded my range to add a full-auto capability and other things. As part of that I was required to do a H&S sound test ( a standard for any commercial activity cost about £2k here in CZ plus an extra £1k for other H&S aspects). Presumably the U.K. will have similar protocols. At that point arguments become moot - the shooting times, number of rounds and caliber are determined from a database from the sound levels.

I think that it would be sensible to do this ASAP so any legal objections are dealt with in a data driven way and not from emotional argument.

As a guide I am about 1.5km away from the nearest residence. I ended up with 7am-10pm daily use, 9k / 9mm, 5k /223 &308 etc down to 425/338 Lapua per day. Nothing that’s going to give me an issue.....OTOH there is peace-of- mind from the greentards and religious fanatics.

In the UK noise assessment is not simply contingent on meeting levels set by some sort of agreed objective threshold.  Noise nuisance is considered subjectively so likely to be coloured by emotion.  Of course it's sensible to have objective data and to make/take mitigating actions to minimise it however if the complainant can make a case that they perceive an effect on their well-being they have a case.  I have scars from trying to meet noise nuisance complaints from neighbours to my car manufacturing factory - and also trying to get Germans to understand how UK regs work!

Our local clay-pigeon range met all of the planning requirements asked for but still got an enforcement order to reduce noise even further after a few months in operation.

It's a nightmare

My club range in Ireland has to provide a sound test report , to the County Council Planning Authority, from an independent expert every two years. We have established an upper level for the sound allowed and we ensure we stick to it. We shoot small bore rifle, small bore and center fire pistol and a full clay layout.

A near bye club was forced to close it's rifle and pistol ranges recently, because of noise complaints from local residents. Sound, along with lead are to two major environmental problems that clubs will have to deal with. Both cost money.

Catch, believe it or not there are temperature and wind speed parameters in which the test has to be conducted here ( +10c and < 2m/s wind speed if memory serves). What is the same it seems is that the council orchestrates these things (signed off by the H&S office) along with the rest of the planning permission.......whichever country it is a nightmare.......a piece of retrospective planning permission and sound test took  about 2 years to complete.......no reason it could not have been done easily within 2 months...... adding to the utter pee-take you end up paying a fortune for it as well. However I would still say it’s better to be pro-active with these things......imagine suspending a business for a year or two waiting for a bit of paperwork.