Jump to content
UKV - The Place for Precision Rifle Enthusiasts

Induction Annealing System


Recommended Posts

 

So....   Lock down boredom got the better of me!

Whilst wasting time on Youtube looking at shooting stuff, I found some intereresting home made Induction Annealing systems.

I did some more research and cobbled a system together (see video).

1000W ZVS Induction Heater board

Home wound, water cooled induction coil using 1/8 inch copper tube

Power supply, Timer module, Solid State Relay, Water Pump and Radiator made for cooling PC's.

It works really well..... the video shows a .308 case heated for 7.8 Secs to show speed of heat transfer.

Actual annealing time for a .308 is 4.2 Secs.

The advantage is that the timer is accurate and so annealing is very consistent... and no gas or flames!

With these boards, the power supply must be beefy to kick start the Induction board into resonance. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The video shows a .308 case (over) heated for 7.8 Secs to show speed of heat transfer... this case is ruined.

The actual annealing time for a .308 case is 4.2 Secs.

This timing gives a very nice anneal line just under the shoulder and I can see the dullest dim glow, which is only visible in a very dark room.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Parts sub £200.. probably £190

Only addition now required is a small clear reservoir tank from a PC cooling system which will allow for water expansion and will let me check the water system is full.

ZVS board was from Ebay (from China) as were some of the other components.

I bought a used MeanWell 27V 750W Switch mode power supply for a bargain £45, but other voltages would work but a decent power supply could easily cost double, as this is the most expensive part.

Could also add a trap door mechanism to drop annealed cases into a bucket underneath to speed up the process.

Lots of vids on Youtube of prettier systems.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Nocrimp said:

Parts sub £200.. probably £190

Only addition now required is a small clear reservoir tank from a PC cooling system which will allow for water expansion and will let me check the water system is full.

ZVS board was from Ebay (from China) as were some of the other components.

I bought a used MeanWell 27V 750W Switch mode power supply for a bargain £45, but other voltages would work but a decent power supply could easily cost double, as this is the most expensive part.

Could also add a trap door mechanism to drop annealed cases into a bucket underneath to speed up the process.

Lots of vids on Youtube of prettier systems.

 

 

 

Thanks NoCrimp, thats very reasonable, looks like a lot less hassle than my Scary Salt Bath annealing. 😁

All the best 👍

🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Any chance you can put a parts list up with where you sourced it. I’ve looked at building one before but couldn’t source all the parts. Was thinking of building one on a old press so you raise the cartridge up into coil then it starts time at top of stroke, 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice work Nocrimp 👍

I put together a Salt Bath system with a PID controller which works very well but I had looked at home built induction annealing systems beforehand. I gave up on that American forum after trying to keep up with the changes after xx pages. 
 

Always up for the project on this though.... if you could put up a parts list and a build process that would be excellent! 
 

cheers

 

Fizz

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, fizzbangwhallop said:

Nice work Nocrimp 👍

I put together a Salt Bath system with a PID controller which works very well but I had looked at home built induction annealing systems beforehand. I gave up on that American forum after trying to keep up with the changes after xx pages. 
 

Always up for the project on this though.... if you could put up a parts list and a build process that would be excellent! 
 

cheers

 

Fizz

Oh Fizz, you've been tempted by the dark side 😂

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Popsbengo said:

Oh Fizz, you've been tempted by the dark side 😂

Hi Pops.... hope you’re well, my interest could be something to do with being a sinister left-hander! 🤣

 

I was just about to edit my post above with a credit to yourself and Pinkfoot for the help and guidance in building the PID box for the salt system -  going to fire it up in the next few days for the next batch of .243 cases. 
 

cheers

 

fizz

😎

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, fizzbangwhallop said:

Hi Pops.... hope you’re well, my interest could be something to do with being a sinister left-hander! 🤣

 

I was just about to edit my post above with a credit to yourself and Pinkfoot for the help and guidance in building the PID box for the salt system -  going to fire it up in the next few days for the next batch of .243 cases. 
 

cheers

 

fizz

😎

Left handed?  Get thee behind me Satan

😉

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm in the same position as Nocrimp, just an evening or so behind in completing the wiring.

Everything came from AliExpress who I haven't used before, but worked well.  The circuit boards came via air-mail and arrived within a week. The PSU came via ship (I assume) and took about a month.

 

Like Nocrimp says the power supply is the most expensive bit. I've got a 36v 480W adjustable one

£ 37.60

 
U65c921c15c66478c89031ea0378cbc49i.jpg_5

 input AC 110/220V 480W output 0-5V 12V 24V 36V 48V 60v 80V 120v 160V 220v Adjustable DC voltage switching power supply

 

The ZVS board does the actual induction annealing bit.

£ 18.17

 
Ud35bdf12989848c89f5df577cc33a49a1.jpg_5

 

£ 6.46

 
U7666b5ceeee84a20bfe73af4f7d26a337.jpg_5

 

DC5-36V Dual MOS LED Digital Time Delay Relay Trigger Cycle Timer Delay Switch Circuit Board Timing Control Module DIY

 

I went with the 36v PSU to match the 36v Timer Relay. It was just as well that I got two of the timers as the PSU can actually produce something over 40v and the first timer made the Magic Smoke when I turned the voltage up! I'm currently wiring in a SSR (relay).

My coil is made from solid wire. The bottom of it rests on a board with a 12.5mm hole drilled clear through, with support for the case underneath. The hole effectively centers the case within the coil.

Triffid

Link to post
Share on other sites

All brilliant stuff. If I were more electrically minded, I too would like to build one completely from scratch.

However, after reading the following post from Lillico and watching the video, I built one and I’m mightily impressed.

https://ukvarminting.com/topic/50323-amp-diy-alternatives-induction-annealing/?do=findComment&comment=390617

My propane annealing machine was great, never skipped a beat, but with this system, I feel I’ve got more control.

Parts list and prices;

Hand held Induction machine with 8 coils (£165 eBay)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153479521952
 

Time delay, relay timer switch (£9.88 eBay):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164364848979
 

Laptop power supply for Relay timer (£8.74 eBay):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263527054552
 

Extension cord (£8 eBay)

Total = £191.62

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/1/2021 at 12:21 PM, Nocrimp said:

The actual annealing time for a .308 case is 4.2 Secs.

 

Im curious to know how you establish such an exact heating time for the .308 and for what neck thickness would that be?

If for example you were 0.5s either side of the 4.2 seconds are you able to measure the difference in hardness you would be left with?

I like the induction process in the sense you can be very consistent with the application of heat, like so many things thought theres a but. Unless you have tested the results over different brands and batches of brass Im not sure the process would be any more consistent in its results than a mechanised gas heated system?

Mind either would at least be more consistent than a plumbers blow torch and an electric drill 😁

Nice work though, just shows what can be done at home. Maybe a little trap door under the case would allow you to drop the hot one into a container easier than handling it hot or do you have an easier way of getting them out?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

Northallerton NSAC shooting.jpg

RifleMags_200x100.jpg

dolphin button4 (200x100).jpg

CASEPREP_FINAL_YELLOW_hi_res__200_.jpg

rovicom200.jpg

Lumensmini.png

CALTON MOOR RANGE (2) (200x135).jpg

bradley1 200.jpg

NVstore200.jpg

blackrifle.png

jr_firearms_200.gif

valkyrie 200.jpg

tab 200.jpg



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy