Sako trg 22 rebarrel

Lloyd

So time has come to rebarrel my TRG chambered in 308 this will be my first experience of doing this with a rifle so I'm a total newbie. I'm happy with the calibre for what shooting I do and for the "components I have in stock" which I have enough of to last me a long time so calibre change is not on my mind. Has anyone rebarreled a TRG and if so what barrel, twist rate, length, profile & no of groves... I shoot mostly 150-175gr bullets. I would like to keep the gun at the same weight because I do some long range steel plinking plus carbon fiber barrels are too expensive. Any advice would be appreciated.

On 2/24/2021 at 7:56 PM, Lloyd said:

So time has come to rebarrel my TRG chambered in 308 this will be my first experience of doing this with a rifle so I'm a total newbie. I'm happy with the calibre for what shooting I do and for the "components I have in stock" which I have enough of to last me a long time so calibre change is not on my mind. Has anyone rebarreled a TRG and if so what barrel, twist rate, length, profile & no of groves... I shoot mostly 150-175gr bullets. I would like to keep the gun at the same weight because I do some long range steel plinking plus carbon fiber barrels are too expensive. Any advice would be appreciated.

Is the gun still shooting decent groups consistently? If it is, don’t do anything to it until your groups start opening up and random fliers appear.

Lloyd, I would highly recommend contacting Ronin or Baldie on here, both are excellent gunsmiths. They are both very capable of doing a re-barrel and will probably have barrel blanks in stock and are best suited to advise on length and profile.

I would recommend Sassen barrels as they are U.K. made but nothing wrong with Krieger  etc but maybe more expensive as imports. I would opt for cut rifles over button and certainly not hammer forged. 1 in 10 twist would be my choice as it gives a little more flexibility if you want to try heavier bullets. I am using Krieger  on my 338 now - excellent barrel but so was the Border (I think the tooling ended up as Sassen).

TRGs - usually the factory barrels are a very tight fit - also chambers may be larger than a match chamber on a new barrel- count on needing new brass ( new barrel = new brass is not a bad mantra). 

I have re-barrelled a Sako TRG and, as alluded to here, I suspect that it was not remotely necessary based on round count. I got in the habit of "pimping" it and was enjoying the process including KRG folding stock etc. Mik at Dolphin put a 28" proof research bull barrel on it - and he agreed the barrel was very tight.

The TRG is a simple job, and about a month turnaround.

If it needs a new barrel, it needs one, despite what whoever says. 

A pal had a 338 and it went south at 800 rounds. One of the lands decided to exit stage left, which is typical of a hammer forged barrel.

as for being tight ? Guess I must have bigger arms than most.