Who Remembers This Training Film?

John MH

58 minutes ago, John MH said:

Came across this online today:

Who remembers sitting through it way back when?

that brings back memories!  Thanks

Re the procedure in the first film,  I recall we were taught (in '74) to rack the action three times when unloading and presenting for clearance on the line.  I've a copy of "Pamphlet No.1;  Infantry Training" - it sets out the tests etc but not the taught detail.  Am I right in my recall or is (was) it as per the film,  racked once?  

As an RCO I've always insisted on any fixed magazine rifle (eg under-lever) that can't be easily visually checked be racked three times.

3 minutes ago, John MH said:

Racking the action three times was to remind the operator to remove the magazine if they had omitted that step.

L85 drills do not require the action to be racked three times.

Quite right then, good not going senile:  I was of course referring to SLR not SA80 back in the day 😃

We did go through SA80 procedures at Whittington Bks  when I was a reserve some time in 1980's but for the life of me I can't recall anything other than massive disappointment with the sh1te presented 😁

The ND film just makes me wince; it's so horribly sh1t... no frenzy of first aid, utter lack of urgency, no preservation of evidence, ROS starts questioning bystanders,or maybe, guilty parties, (thereby destroying due process) ...next to the casualty or body( he doesn't know which beyond 'looks nasty'!) and on and on.... its just squirmingly, utterly awful. A 'naive' film in the true meaning of the word!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...