UKV - The Place for Precision Rifle Enthusiasts

Remington 700 robustness and reliability

Own a few - going back over 25 years
Never had any issues of any sort

Much prefer the original Walker trigger to the replacement they came up with
Zero issues with extraction, no parts fell off, etc.
Above is based on ownership of several 700 models at the same time - presently run a 308, a 7.62, a 6.8, and a 338 - my 223 has not long been with the RFD pending a trade

Trigger problems are well publicized. At one time the extractors broke so regularly that I had a jug for installing them. Likewise the bolt brazing would let go and they would need to be MiG welded back on.**This was in the 80's and comnpoetition rifles. 

So yes. I have seen all of these maladies with the 700's, but not so much in recent years.~Andrew

(** The shop i worked at in 1981 bought the last of the 788 Remington bolt guns to sell. Of 50 rifles, 19 had the bolt handle come off on the first firing. THey were returned to Remington. Exactly one year to the day of shipping, they returned to the shop: exactly as they were sent. No work had been done to them,  and of course, we took a horrible loss on the whole deal. It jaundiced Remington in my eye...)

I've a Remington 40X I bought new in 2000 or so, must have fired well over 4000 rounds, many on NZ ranges, but not in the bush, bolt handle is fine and got the original extractor, never failed to pull a case out, even some on the very warm side.   I couldn't get on with the trigger, in hindsight I should have ordered the 2 ounce factory unit so ended up with a Rifle Basix L3, but nothing wrong with the original trigger I just couldn't get it light enough for me.

Never had any problems with my 700, the only time I had problems was an after market trigger.  Rifle Basix one that fell apart inside. 

Now have a trigger tech, excellent trigger if your looking to upgrade and easy to install. 

Do get a bit of a sticky bolt release catch, the bit that engages the bolt itself not the button inside the trigger guard. 

But other than that no problems. 

I have a Remington 700 (.223) in an MDT LLS gen 2 stock and haven't had any problems. I agree with the post above about the triggers, I too couldn't get on with the standard trigger so installed a Trigger Tech trigger and I would recommend them.

I own Remington, BRNO, Parker Hale and Tikka bolt actions, my opinion the rem is the least refined of them all, but I've never had an issue with it.  Compared to friends remingtons mine seem to have a very good trigger which as far as I can tell is factory

On 2/19/2021 at 7:32 PM, Vortex said:

Do get a bit of a sticky bolt release catch, the bit that engages the bolt itself not the button inside the trigger guard. 

You can get an uprated spring which should give you a better release, also check the stock has enough clearance for the assembly.  I think I got a Darrell Holland item from Brownells.

22 hours ago, Leeman said:

You can get an uprated spring which should give you a better release, also check the stock has enough clearance for the assembly.  I think I got a Darrell Holland item from Brownells.

Cheers will have a look at that and look at getting an updated spring 

I was in my local gun shop must be about twenty years ago and a customer came in with his remington that he had bought a few hours earlier the bolt handle had snapped off that’s the only case that I have ever heard of.