Jump to content
UKV - The Place for Precision Rifle Enthusiasts

Remington 700 robustness and reliability


Vincent saunders
 Share

Recommended Posts

Trigger problems are well publicized. At one time the extractors broke so regularly that I had a jug for installing them. Likewise the bolt brazing would let go and they would need to be MiG welded back on.**This was in the 80's and comnpoetition rifles. 

So yes. I have seen all of these maladies with the 700's, but not so much in recent years.~Andrew

(** The shop i worked at in 1981 bought the last of the 788 Remington bolt guns to sell. Of 50 rifles, 19 had the bolt handle come off on the first firing. THey were returned to Remington. Exactly one year to the day of shipping, they returned to the shop: exactly as they were sent. No work had been done to them,  and of course, we took a horrible loss on the whole deal. It jaundiced Remington in my eye...)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've a Remington 40X I bought new in 2000 or so, must have fired well over 4000 rounds, many on NZ ranges, but not in the bush, bolt handle is fine and got the original extractor, never failed to pull a case out, even some on the very warm side.   I couldn't get on with the trigger, in hindsight I should have ordered the 2 ounce factory unit so ended up with a Rifle Basix L3, but nothing wrong with the original trigger I just couldn't get it light enough for me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Never had any problems with my 700, the only time I had problems was an after market trigger.  Rifle Basix one that fell apart inside. 
 

Now have a trigger tech, excellent trigger if your looking to upgrade and easy to install. 
 

Do get a bit of a sticky bolt release catch, the bit that engages the bolt itself not the button inside the trigger guard. 
 

But other than that no problems. 
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a Remington 700 (.223) in an MDT LLS gen 2 stock and haven't had any problems. I agree with the post above about the triggers, I too couldn't get on with the standard trigger so installed a Trigger Tech trigger and I would recommend them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I own Remington, BRNO, Parker Hale and Tikka bolt actions, my opinion the rem is the least refined of them all, but I've never had an issue with it.  Compared to friends remingtons mine seem to have a very good trigger which as far as I can tell is factory

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/19/2021 at 7:32 PM, Vortex said:

Do get a bit of a sticky bolt release catch, the bit that engages the bolt itself not the button inside the trigger guard. 

You can get an uprated spring which should give you a better release, also check the stock has enough clearance for the assembly.  I think I got a Darrell Holland item from Brownells.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 11 months later...

As there's been over 5 million Rem 700's made and some of them are pretty low grade '$340 in Wally World' version there are going to be a few issues, do not think you could expect anything else.

Triggers are normally swapped out as the 1st upgrade but basically sound design, yes bolts come off now and then, not common, but does happen.

You pays your money and go from there.

Issues for firearms not limited to Remington, Marlin has had in 'interesting; history. Even now there are problems, I recently purchased a 38/357 Marlin and the whole of one rifle groove from Chamber to muzzle was basically missing (deep tooling chatter marks), Marlins response 'we test them for accuracy then ship i.e. no one looks down the barrel. They did change out for a new rifle though.

T

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/17/2021 at 10:40 PM, Vincent saunders said:

Good day

Has anyone had firsthand experience of trigger failure.extractor failure or bolt handle falling off their Remington rifles?

No, I bought a Rem 700 in 308 Win and have re-barrelled it to 260 Rem three times. The only failure that I had with the rifle was the bottom metal failed at the rear action screw hole. I did get Grant Taylor to upgrade the firing pin, but that was my choice and there was nothing wrong with the original firing pin. 

Regards

JCS

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/17/2021 at 10:40 PM, Vincent saunders said:

Good day

Has anyone had firsthand experience of trigger failure.extractor failure or bolt handle falling off their Remington rifles?

Extractor failure yes - it's just hopeless.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/19/2021 at 7:32 PM, Vortex said:

Never had any problems with my 700, the only time I had problems was an after market trigger.  Rifle Basix one that fell apart inside. 
 


 

 

I have an early edition factory remington X pro trigger and a rifle basix after market both very good - no issues, just avoid super light trigger on x pro mk1 as bump fire problems

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/26/2022 at 5:49 PM, outlanda said:

I have an early edition factory remington X pro trigger and a rifle basix after market both very good - no issues, just avoid super light trigger on x pro mk1 as bump fire problems

I switched to a trigger tech trigger. Great setup, can’t fault it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Had customers come for fixes for extractor(s) ejectors sticking (hot loads,,,,) bolt handles (x3) - hot loads, bolt nose failure (v hot load) 

Sako extractor popping out (mine and very well used action ) 

All the above is since 2007 to date 

Given the number in use in my area alone that’s a pretty low failure rate 

I’ve replaced more parts on Tikka and Sako in that time (extractors, ejectors and manual ejectors on Sako) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/2/2022 at 7:04 PM, Ronin said:

Had customers come for fixes for extractor(s) ejectors sticking (hot loads,,,,) bolt handles (x3) - hot loads, bolt nose failure (v hot load) 

Sako extractor popping out (mine and very well used action ) 

All the above is since 2007 to date 

Given the number in use in my area alone that’s a pretty low failure rate 

I’ve replaced more parts on Tikka and Sako in that time (extractors, ejectors and manual ejectors on Sako) 

Hello Ronin

How would i know if hot loads (in the past) are the cause of my extractor problems even though i am using light loads now and what is the fix please. Never had a problem with my Tikka but 2 x Rem 700 .223 Sps tactical (one a 20 practical that i still have) have been a pain in the arse.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The ones I have fixed have had extractor claws pulled in one case from their retaining inlet and others damaged to the point they would not hold onto case Rim 

Extractors do wear in all rifles but the ones I refer to all had signs of hard use (hot loads)

 

wipe marks on bolt face , ejector plunger stuck, etc 

 

Easy fix is replace the extractor with new and give the bolt head a thorough clean after stripping down replacing the ejector plunger and spring plus roll pin with new

 

You Could fit an M16 type extractor for ultimate reliable extraction (this is a job for someone who knows what they’re doing) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Ronin said:

The ones I have fixed have had extractor claws pulled in one case from their retaining inlet and others damaged to the point they would not hold onto case Rim 

Extractors do wear in all rifles but the ones I refer to all had signs of hard use (hot loads)

 

wipe marks on bolt face , ejector plunger stuck, etc 

 

Easy fix is replace the extractor with new and give the bolt head a thorough clean after stripping down replacing the ejector plunger and spring plus roll pin with new

 

You Could fit an M16 type extractor for ultimate reliable extraction (this is a job for someone who knows what they’re doing) 

Thank you Ronin.

I can rule out these as the problem. I have replaced extractor claw many times and bolt is still hard to close and taking chunks out of brass rim. Bolt closes without extractor. Would like to have had an extractor upgrade - as you say finding someone to fit it was a problem. I have given up with it and will sell or PX at some point. Most accurate rifle i have ever shot but i had enough of the extractor. Was going to replace with Tikka .204R. Not so sure now with lack of availability and lack of options.

Thanks

Steve 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

blackrifle.png

jr_firearms_200.gif

valkyrie 200.jpg

tab 200.jpg

Northallerton NSAC shooting.jpg

RifleMags_200x100.jpg

dolphin button4 (200x100).jpg

CASEPREP_FINAL_YELLOW_hi_res__200_.jpg

rovicom200.jpg

Lumensmini.png

CALTON MOOR RANGE (2) (200x135).jpg

bradley1 200.jpg

NVstore200.jpg



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy