EC tuner brake

Have a look at the suppressor thread in the target and informal LR section. It’s discussed there.

A few caveats having played with these things over the last 20!years.  Tuners and barrel dick rings are based on modifying / flattening the harmonic nodes. Browning came out with a BOSS system to do this about 30 years ago and it has been the way forward for .22lr  where you cannot tune the load. However you start  (or at least I did) to notice when you fire 40 rounds of something like 300wm or larger in a relatively short time  that consistency can drop probably due to heat changing the harmonic nodes. Firing 5 shot groups can be fine. Depends on what you need and how much heat you are putting into the barrel. Try barrel ringing with a cold and hot barrel - the dead spots will change. 

Hand in hand with this there have been heat mitigation systems developed like blowing Co2 down the barrel to keep it cool.

About 15 years ago I played around with tensioned barrels in a PMG Ultima Ratio rifle - nice idea ( borrowed). The latest take on this is structured barrels- primarily for ELR kit but similar principle. I think Walther also make / made tensioned barrels.

It’s  also a good reason / argument for having stiffer, shorter barrels. That’s where I am at the moment.

I’ve posted the link above to the discussion thread

Like Dave has posted many of us have used tuners in competition for several years to varying degrees of success 

The new player in the tuner game is the addition of a brake and now moderator 

Personally I'm reserving judgment on a tuner added to a mod given the extra weight though it may be of benefit in light barrelled or static applications and as alluded to heat will be a factor ,,,

In the states one may use a brake in F class competition and I believe Benchrest - I’m not sure if the same applies in the uk (benchrest) they are not permitted in F class

so the use of tuner brake is then limited in application 

The other thread is quite informative - I’d take time to read that and go from there 

I've looked at the mod tuner thread a few times..

It didn't occur to me until this morning when I put the 2 and 2 together that EC as in the EC tuner unless it's a coincidence the EC is short for Erik Cortina 😁🤡.

My knowledge on the barrel tuners is limited..

Intresting knowing the heat could/can change the harmonics that could/does affect the accuracy 🤔.

Having a barrel tuner fitted now is not a priority for me.. it's been something I've been contemplating of late 🤔.

Having second thoughts 🤩

Many use tuners in F Class - they have their uses but don’t replace decent load development which at your level  should be at the upper end of good (and is - looking at your results ) 

I've no I deer Al.

Unless something scientific has been proven it's only speculation.

The barrel could go out of tune as it gets hot. Whether the tuner makes it better or worse I wouldn't know..!!

As people have said there's mixed results with the tuners so something has yet to.be discovered....

It seems a clever invention but may have its limitations. 

14 minutes ago, No i deer said:

Unless something scientific has been proven it's only speculation.

The barrel could go out of tune as it gets hot. Whether the tuner makes it better or worse I wouldn't know..!!

As people have said there's mixed results with the tuners so something has yet to.be discovered....

I very much doubt you will ever get scientific evidence for very much to do with rifle accuracy, most of the time you have to rely on anecdotal evidence, much the same as all things rifle related.

If the barrel could go out of tune when its hot it would do that with or without a barrel tuner on, there is plenty of anecdotal evidence to suggest that doesnt happen. In LR benchrest Ive shot five shot strings in twenty seconds in hot summer temps, the barrel was mad hot yet the tune remained and the groups were small. Ive done this with and without a barrel tuner, it made no difference. By the time you get to the last relay the barrel is untouchable yet the accuracy is still there.

As for mixed results with tuners, there are two very simple reasons for that, either the tuner is wrong or the person tuning the barrel with the tuner is doing it wrong. People will always poo poo stuff they either dont understand or cant get to work. Take a look at the 100yd BR scene in the US, you wont find many of the top shooters who dont use tuners all the time now, thats your benchmark as to wether or not they work consistently.

The exact same can be said for load development, its either right or it isn't. If the tune is right for the temperature then the gun will shoot well, if its not it wont. Ive shot against people who moaned about their results in the summer only to find they had developed the load in the winter.

Funny you should say that as my 7mm saum f open load was developed in the warmer months.. I can remember the miraging doing the ladder test having to keep going forward and back to the 308yds away target...

I was sweating like a rapist walking 616yds every 2 shots 😅

12 hours ago, Big Al said:

Heat has zero effect on a barrel tuner, a hot weight weighs the same as a cold one.

But the properties of the underlying barrel may change with heat,  or are you saying that barrel steel is immune to expansion and contraction with heating and cooling?

2 hours ago, srvet said:

But the properties of the underlying barrel may change with heat,  or are you saying that barrel steel is immune to expansion and contraction with heating and cooling?

No, Im not saying that at all, my reference is to the tuner not the barrel.

Your barrel will react to changes in its temperature regardless of whether or not it has a tuner fitted, we already understand that well. Because of that we configure barrels that require multiple shot strings and high levels of accuracy differently to single shot sporting rifles, ie thicker with more meat around the crown etc.

The point I make is that changes in barrel temperature wont change the effect the tuner has on the barrel.

The tuner is a fixed weight strategically placed on a barrel to improve its tune relative to any given load, when you heat the tuner up it doesnt get heavier or lighter so its effect remains the same. Ive been there, trod that path thoroughly and know from my own experience and testing.

I wouldn't have said what I said if I didnt know it to be a fact, Im not into making unproven claims. 

1 hour ago, srvet said:

The heat effects the velocity which in turn effects the tune of the load not the heat directly on the barrel. 
Ive had a Bartlein medium palma that would start to climb as it warmed up. It was a slow process during a string and could be kept in check but accuracy remained okay.