Changing my hunting load

bow

Hi just wandering what heads .people are using . For hunting in a 6.5x 47

I am thinking of changing my load 

at the moment I am using 120 nosler bt 

with rl15 

getting a bit expensive £30 for 50 + pp

was wandering what to go to 

Sierra 120 grain pro hunters are a common and reasonably priced bullet that many 6.5 Calibre  hunters are using. I use them in 6.5 creedmoor and a mate uses them in his 6.5x47

If the cost of bullets is the main driver (only) for this project you will also need to factor in the cost of developing a new load...time, selection of bullets tried, travel to range/fees/fuel

might not be worth changing unless you shoot a lot...

if it ain’t broke???

Stumpy has made some good points to consider and I have to agree..

however if your really wanting to try something cheaper try Hornady SST bullet  123grn or 129 grn nearly half the price of what your paying moment for what’s considered to be a reliable bullet . 
I personally use the Berger classic Hunter 136 grn in my CM and can’t fault them . 

Grab your socks. The price of Sierra bulleta has gone nutz here in the US. Almost $55/100 for MK 6.5's. $50 for GK's in 140. Last year I bought two sticks of 120 PH and 140 GK  (1000 ea) so I have only had to watch the prices rise. But rising they are.~Andrew

PS: I agree about the 120 Pro Hunters. Large mule deer cave when I send them from my 6.5 Grendel.

On 12/30/2020 at 1:12 PM, One on top of two said:

Stumpy has made some good points to consider and I have to agree..

however if your really wanting to try something cheaper try Hornady SST bullet  123grn or 129 grn nearly half the price of what your paying moment for what’s considered to be a reliable bullet . 
I personally use the Berger classic Hunter 136 grn in my CM and can’t fault them . 

The bullet cost is  a small part of a bigger picture..

If you fire 200 shots hunting a year it's pointless trying to save £0.10 or £0.15 a bullet 🤔

I use the 130 TMK. I've had great results with them in my 6.5 CM. 

But I've only used them for target shooting.....

I have to agree with what others have said. If you're more of a hunter than a target shooter, you will save very little, as you can't be shooting that many rounds a year compared to a target shooter.??

Chaz

I was in a shop this past weekend and the 140 Game Kings were $60US /100. That is almost double last year's price. When I bought a stick of GK's last spring they had the $33/100 price tag on them and the man gave them to me for $30/100 because i bought them all. No. I won't shoot them all in a year, but  I tend to follow rule of "By cheap. Stack deep" when it comes to components. This is a practice I have followed since the Clinton administration back in the 90's. I buy 2000 primers, use 1000, and buy another 2000. I know that my UK shooting friends can't do this to any great extent, but I would get into that frame of mind if you arent there already.~Andrew

• 1 month later...
On 1/7/2021 at 8:22 PM, Woodlander said:

How many deer are you shooting a year?

Surely it’s worth sticking with what you know works   
Would the cost in time and components not outweigh the cost of your present load?

I’ve had a few runners with the nosler bt 

when I have tracked them down nearly all have been hit spot on the the engine room 

I changed from 123 amax which were fantastic 

price isn’t the main reason

just loosing confidence with the nosler 

Amax's are great bullets and probaly more explosive than the nosler..

I used mainly 85gr nosler ballistic tips in the 25-06 I had and couldn't fault them.

I did try the 120gr nosler ballistic tips in a 6.5-06 but I didn't get to shoot how I wanted so I gave up. It was probaly down to myself not using the right powder,primer combo etc.

The 140gr amaxs shoot very well as they do in my 6.5x47 which bugholes and shoots amazingly well. One of my all time best loads