6.5 Weatherby RPM.

NICK

Hi.

Has anyone got any opinions on the new 6.5 Weatherby RPM? 

It appears to be a 6.5x284 case that has been lengthened by 10mm. This gives 'greater case capacity and fits properly in a 30-06 action'. Drives 140 grain bullets at 3050fps allegedly. Weatherby brass is made by Norma. 

I was just wondering if it was a sensible alternative to the 6.5x284. 

Thanks. 

Nick , You can drive the 6.5x284mm at that speed .... Maybe just past it's sweet spot of 2,950 ish but still a good speed . If your wanting more speed then my 6.5 WSM pushed the 140's out around 3,400 ft/sec but it's bolt face is bigger . Another thought would be to switch to a 7mm bullet on the 284mm case .

OSOK

Hi OSOK.

Thanks for replying.

If the 6.5x284 can be driven to the velocities advertised for the 6.5 rpm, then i presume the increased capacity of the weatherby case will drive the 140s correspondingly faster? Does that make sense? 

Just one of those things that lockdown gets you thinking about. The weatherby case just seemed a better use of the long action. 

Nick.

Nick , Your right ...... The real question is what you are Intending to use it for ?  I went down the route of a fast 6.5 as an alternative for F Class many years ago and went with a 6.5 wsm which just didn't work as to get the 6.5 bullets on par with a slowish 7 the velocities made the barrel hot after five or six shots .  I have often said that the best 6.5 calibre is a 7mm  !  I'm guessing that in the last 10 or 12 years the 6.5 bullets have come on but then so have the 7's .

I think that the wetherby case looks good from what very little I've seen and would do well if you were not running shot after shot but I really can't ever see it beating a 284  in wind drift or barrel wear .

Just my opinion

Greg

The other aspect is brass quality.  Norma is historically softer than Lapua so even if the capacity is greater than 6.5 x 284, using Lapua brass,  doesn't necessarily mean you can achieve higher velocities anyway.