Auction, may be interesting to some.

Kalahari

There is an auction of shooting stuff at the end of Febuary. Some reloading stuff, and bits in weird old calibres, even an old single stack Lee Metford magazine. Barnard target set up and a Lee Enfield sporter in there too Might interest someone on here . I have no interest in the site.

wilson55.com

David.

6 hours ago, Kalahari said:

There is an auction of shooting stuff at the end of Febuary. Some reloading stuff, and bits in weird old calibres, even an old single stack Lee Metford magazine. Barnard target set up and a Lee Enfield sporter in there too Might interest someone on here . I have no interest in the site.

wilson55.com

David.

I spotted their last auction on 3rd Dec and was able to go up there to collect some dies I'd won. A very interesting collection of lots and worth keeping an eye on.

The Barnard actioned target rifle mentioned - with a Gemini stock and Tracker sights (with a Bartlein barrel?) initially had a guide price of around £1k - £1.5k and eventually hit around £3k, but then is included again in the next auction in Feb I believe. 

2 hours ago, Kalahari said:

It is 22% + VAT! It is OK if you remember that and do your sums first, but as Leeman said please remember to do them.

David.

As is the way with auctions everywhere.

53 minutes ago, Re-Pete said:

Presumably, the auction house takes a fee from the seller as well?

Pete

Oh yes, it is one of my complaints about auction houses. If they are working for the seller (and charge a fee) their duty is to get the highest price, if they are working for the buyer (and charge a fee) their duty is to get it for the lowest price possible. Just a slight conflict of interest! I can remember when auction houses only charged the seller.

David.

4 hours ago, eddieb said:

Surely the duty of any auctioneer is to get the highest price possible it is only the seller he has a contract with to provide a service,

i woder if the duty is to earn the best for themselves .....

8 hours ago, Orka Akinse said:

Had a friend once he was a part time antiques dealer and his father was full time so had lots of auction experience.  Told the story of auctioneers "bidding the wall" frequently.  Hence you always stand at the back.

watched it happen    also a husband and wife (either end of the hall) bidding on the same car 

Bidding the wall can be risky because if the other bidder drops out the house has to pay. I have bought and sold a few things in local auctions and find little evidence of shady dealing. (perhaps I am just a bit dim) The rules are quite strict now. What is sometimes seen as bidding the wall is bidding commission bids and that is fine.

David.

Hi All & Happy New Year!

Another add on to be aware of is that when you bid via a third party auction site like thesaleroom.com, the actual auction house selling the item then adds a further 3-5% plus VAT on the hammer price for their fee, so you end up paying the buyers premium to the auction house which is normally anywhere between 15%-25% but sometimes can be as high as 30% plus VAT + the 3-5% online site fees. I was told by an auction house to register directly with them & bid through their website to avoid this additional fee. Trouble is that the 3rd party site does a lot of advertising & you can get sucked in to register & bid via their site......to be fair its all perfectly legal & above board & the fees are no doubt buried in the T's& C's but......If you bid on any online platform my experience would be to work on adding around at least 30% to whatever the hammer price was & if your happy with that then fine.....oh & if you pay online via PayPal it's likely that they will also charge you another 3% to cover that.....it's very much buyer beware.

Good luck!

That's correct, they are not alone, as I said in my post....but many auction houses do use external online platforms that you end up paying an additional fee for....it's fine as long as you build all these charges into your maximum bid & it's easy to call the auction house before you bid & ask the relevant questions, I've found most to be extremely helpful.