Bisley closed again.

Now Im confused!

The NRA statment about the closure has disapeared, and my local golf course ( tier4) was packed this morning when i walked the dog. Interesting update on golf which I guess could apply to shooting?

https://www.englandgolf.org/covid-19-update-golf-courses-remain-open-in-tier-4-locations/

To update my own post..

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/golf/golf-tier-4-london-courses-open-b1776595.html

Both courses and driving ranges will be allowed to remain open in Tier 4 areas in England, with the government confirming that “outdoor sports courts, outdoor gyms, golf courses, outdoor swimming pools, archery/driving/shooting ranges, riding centres and playgrounds” will not be closed.

Not the NRA's fault.

The NRA range manager ring me up at 19:00 yesterday evening to say they were closed today. They do what they can based on the information provided to them.

This is just BoJo making it up as he goes along. No Planning. No Impact Assessment. No Comms. Pathetic.  

It's perfect weather here. It would have been a great morning's shoot.

Triffid

The Bisley range yesterday was pretty empty  but everyone was sensible they seemed well set up to cope and i must admit it was a great day (my shooting was crap as usual ) and good to be out .

I think they had no real option  but to close when put in tier 4  imagine the negative press  'GUN RANGE FLOATS COVID RULES '

Around me there are two clay shoots open but they are really relying on peoples common sense  if it all goes wrong  responsibility fo own a shotgun could result in a problem for some .

Lets hope everything goes smoothly and some kind of normality returns soon .

Keep well everyone

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/tier-4-stay-at-home#sports-and-physical-activity

To echo what Martin B said........ 

Sports and physical activity

Indoor gyms and sports facilities will close. Outdoor sports courts, outdoor gyms, golf courses, outdoor swimming pools, archery/driving/shooting ranges, riding centres and playgrounds can remain open for individual exercise, and for people to use with others within your household, support bubble, or with one person from another household. Organised outdoor sport for under 18s and disabled people will be allowed.

It does say "shooting ranges and individual exercise", so I'd say Bisley would be within the rules.

Pete

The next question: Is it legal to drive to Bisley (tier 4) from any of the other tiers..............the word "should" is used in the guidelines, rather than "must".

I really can't see any increased risk to myself or anyone else if I drive from a tier 2 to Bisley, shoot alone for a couple of hours, then drive back.

Pete

47 minutes ago, Re-Pete said:

I really can't see any increased risk to myself or anyone else if I drive from a tier 2 to Bisley, shoot alone for a couple of hours, then drive back.

Question you need to ask yourself is, is it wise to dos so?

I personally don't think it is 'wise', think of all the unexpected things that could happen that could bring you into contact with someone in a Tier 4 area who could unintentionally infect you with Covid-19 and that you then take that infection back home with you. Not the actions of a 'wise' man.

If I worried about all the unexpected things that could happen to me whenever I left the house, I'd never get out of bed...............it's all about doing your own "risk assessment" and taking sole responsibility when you get it wrong.

Pete

14 minutes ago, Re-Pete said:

If I worried about all the unexpected things that could happen to me whenever I left the house, I'd never get out of bed...............it's all about doing your own "risk assessment" and taking sole responsibility when you get it wrong.

Pete

It’s not about what you are worried about, it’s whether it is wise or not.

32 minutes ago, Re-Pete said:

Pete

And therein lies the problem, if you get it wrong you can’t take sole responsibility as your going to be dependent on so many people . Some may call that selfish behaviour.

plus you may very well unknowingly bring the lurgy back with you and infect your bubble . 

it’s just shooting .... 

Triffid +1...........I don't have a bubble, and the argument that one shouldn't take any risks because they may have to rely on someone else if things go tits-up is frankly, risible............

Are you really suggesting that people shouldn't climb, dive, fly, bunjee jump, paraglide, ride horses, or even ride a bicycle, in case the unexpected happens and someone else has to take responsibility??

Get real.......

Pete

28 minutes ago, Re-Pete said:

Triffid +1...........I don't have a bubble, and the argument that one shouldn't take any risks because they may have to rely on someone else if things go tits-up is frankly, risible............

Are you really suggesting that people shouldn't climb, dive, fly, bunjee jump, paraglide, ride horses, or even ride a bicycle, in case the unexpected happens and someone else has to take responsibility??

Get real.......

Pete

And that sir is what makes us all different. 

I was surprised Bisley closed (as it was clear from gov.org.uk they could remain open). Now they are opening as they did after the first lockdown, on electronic targets only.

That's me off work for the foreseeable then!

Bisley put in an awful lot of Covid measures when they reopened after the first lockdown. I don't see why they are coming to nothing now. As for their customers travelling, thats not for  the NRA to police.

From a business perspective, it's probably that the business won't be there. It certainly won't be if they restrict shooters to hourly bookings on electronic targets.

Merry Christmas everybody, 2021 isn't starting off too well.

Bisley is in Tier 4, therefore those in Tiers 1,2,3 can't travel there.

For Bisley to remain open in the hope that lots of shooters will break the law to go shooting would be reckless to say the least.

Most of their staff were already on furlough, their re-opening business model is probably based on the numbers of staff available to manage things.

It's never been run as a business, per-se, you only have to see the way that range bookings are batted off at the drop of a hat to realise that. We've sat waiting 10 days for a single lane to be confirmed recently, on the premis that a larger booking may come along which would take precedent. We cancelled in the end, so there was no booking at all.

Like everyone they will have ticked over using the Govt money, will probably slim things down next year or remodel the way they work.

You are correct. Our online booking for last Thursday was cancelled, citing no marker available.

we rebooked without a marker and self marked, and the booking was confirmed.

The range office does lack proactivity, helpfulness, desire to fill the ranges. You are almost left feeling like you are being a pain trying to book to shoot sometimes!