The new Sig Cross Rifle

baldie

Are you guys serious ?

I wasted half an hour of my time listening to that backwoods bubba.

That rifle failed because it had half a the contents of a bedouins slipper in there.

The rifle is absolutely filthy with sand in every orifice.

You only have to look at how roughly they are having to manipulate the bolt to see that.

That is the real danger of youtube. Any cretin with a camera can set themselves us a Reviewer/Expert, and you get sh1t like this , and it truly is sh1t.

No affiliation to Sig whatsoever, I'm simply buying one with my own money, cause I fancy one. That video is mint choc chip.

On 11/18/2020 at 6:39 AM, baldie said:

The cartridge HAS been adopted as far as I know. If so, there won't be an ammo problem.

The Fury has only just received SAAMI acceptance. It will have to do the same with CIP.

It isn't going to sell here, with estimated ammo costs circa £3 a bang. Shame, because its a real game changer, power wise.

Hate to say this Scotch, but I really hope the cross isn't like the Fix. I've shot the fix, and it was frankly, horrible. That bolt handle is a joke on a 4.5K rifle.

Not quite, there is still a competition running. There are 3 contenders: the Sig one, a cased telescoped round and a polymer cased one. The only bit that has been fixed is the 6.8mm General Purpose Projectile and its velocity specs, which is a government furnished design.

Personally, I am pretty sceptical. It reminds me a lot of the failed .276 Enfield from 1913. That failed due to excessive heating, recoil, muzzle flash and barrel wear - and it was only about 60,000 psi chamber pressure, rather than the 80,000 psi of the new designs! It remains to be seen whether modern technologies can overcome these issues.

IMG_0020.JPG

Looks like Sig will give the Tikka Tac A1 some competition. AI mags are a big plus.

If the 277 Fury is available with high bc bullets and somewhat decent barrel life ( 1k rounds) you can see it being a steel plate / PRS shooters wet dream.......if they can stand the recoil change from 6mm rounds, poor things.

2 hours ago, ds1 said:

Looks like Sig will give the Tikka Tac A1 some competition. AI mags are a big plus.

If the 277 Fury is available with high bc bullets and somewhat decent barrel life ( 1k rounds) you can see it being a steel plate / PRS shooters wet dream.......if they can stand the recoil change from 6mm rounds, poor things.

I think I’m still going to take a punt on this rifle, yes it may have suffered a fault most production rifles have.  The desert does some pretty shitty things to rifles.  
a nice short 308 will hopefully be in my cabinet next year sometime.

TS,

if it’s only one rifle in sand don’t think I would worry.

Don’t remember if you ever went to Bzenec but it’s a sandbox that’s a shooting range - seen a lot of rifles, particularly custom rifles with match type triggers have issues there. The AI with AW trigger survives better than most anything else.

Going to be honest, people may not like the guy and the way he does his reviews but having watched it I wouldn’t be putting my money on one until Sig had done some sort of investigation. 

is there half the desert in there? Maybe but if it kicking off rounds after you pull the trigger or when you manipulate the bolt, in his case smacking  the bolt would you take it on the range and run it ragged.  

No thanks....just like you wouldn’t run a gun that you put a new trigger in and it was letting the trigger sear go when you do a bump test. 

There might be a mechanical issue in there somewhere and it’s not the dust and it’s a bit early to say recall as he could just have a duff rifle but there is an issue here somewhere. There are plenty of worse shooters out there and plenty of situations where it’s going to be handled far more harshly than these two are so if a bit of dust and yes I know the desert messes with 100% of everything down to your ball sack but We should be looking at this and taking note.

Bear in mind my 100yr old rifle has no issues at all with the trigger and this brand new one is doing this, come on we can’t just blame it on the local yokel.

Is it the user/conditions/faulty rifle.....can’t tell from that video but there is an issue somewhere  and if that trigger mech can’t stand bubba well it needs looking at.

Edit......I didn’t realise this forum edited your swear words so much. 

Very few factory rifles will cope with sand, the only one that will, is the AI, with any reliability, because it was made to withstand the stuff.

I'm guessing your rifle of 100 years pedigree is a military arm ?

Purely by its age, it will have a very basic trigger, and basic triggers will stand crud well too.

this isn't a 100 year old gun. It has a modern trigger, designed for Civilian use, and by people who dont subject a gun to those conditions.

Virtually all aftermarket triggers will fail in this way, from dirt. I've seen jewel's fail with only rain.

Its all subjective.

Most aftermarket units tell you in the instructions to manipulate the bolt slowly. For very good reason, unless you want a slam-fire. They all will do it, if abused.

Those two tactifools were abusing that gun, and the way, they panned off the gun, while saying there was a fault, set alarm bells ringing with me personally.

Personally, I think if there was a known issue, Sig would have sorted it PDQ, as the gun has been out already in the states.

The X mark pro issue, remington found, cost them millions. I really doubt any manufacturer would let any trigger issue slide.

Then of course, there is the question of whether the trigger had been adjusted low enough to make it unsafe, that's not mentioned, but I'd lay guinness to bricks it had.

Shooters cannot leave an allen key hole alone.....Much the same as ...well...... 🤣

I'm looking forward to mine, and if there IS a trigger problem, I'll say so, but it won't be abused to make it fail.

Tacttfool......like it. Yes it’s a military rifle and yes they are simple for a good reason. 

They may will have adjusted it too light but I would like to see the rifle taken apart and looked at by someone like yourself to see what the problem is. 

Might well be the dust in there but from the way I see many shooters manipulate the bolt , just as harsh as they do, I haven’t seen that happen unless like you say it’s been set too light or a fault in there somewhere. 

Dave, appreciate your thoughts when you get to take one apart on how you think it will hold up to 80,000psi all the time. It looks like a one piece 7075 alloy receiver, so there is either a collet system or in barrel locking but at some point you have alloy supporting the barrel or collet.? The bolt handle as an extra lug / safety feature is also then less robust.

on a positive note Sig deserve credit for coming up with a complete system - rifle, scope and rangefinder to scope / ballistic calculator that reduces the work flow. 

looks like i made the right choice to cancel mine until this is sorted , and would appear to be nothing to do with sand , misuse , or a couple of idiots manipulating the bolt ..

NEWINGTON, N.H., (November 25, 2020) – Today Sig Sauer, Inc. is announcing a safety recall for the CROSS Bolt-Action Rifle, and consumers should immediately discontinue use of the rifle.  This recall applies to all CROSS Bolt-Action rifles currently manufactured.

Sig Sauer has viewed an online video that presents a single CROSS Bolt-Action Rifle with a potential safety concern.  This gun has been returned to Sig Sauer and upon evaluation it has been confirmed that the rifle exhibited a delayed discharge after the trigger was pulled.  Sig Sauer has decided to issue a safety recall in order to implement a modification to the firing action to address this potential safety concern.

1 hour ago, One on top of two said:

looks like i made the right choice to cancel mine until this is sorted , and would appear to be nothing to do with sand , misuse , or a couple of idiots manipulating the bolt ..

It says nothing of the sort. It doesn't say what caused the fault, only that , that particular rifle had one.

Strange that none of the other American owners [ however many there are ] have not reported the same fault.

When you've seen and mended as many trigger faults as I have over the years, you realise , if it smells like Bull, looks like bull, it usually is, Bull.

Full marks to Sig for being all over it.

Good grief .. I know , it was you that said it was everything  else but a design/manufacturing fault , regardless it’s seems to have them worried enough to recall them and publicly admit there is a design fault  and recall ALL currently manufactured rifles and implement a modification to  firing mechanism . 
Personally I couldn’t  give a 💩how it happens, it’s the fact it CAN . 

I hope they get it sorted , sooner rather than later . As I was really looking forward to owning one .