The new Sig Cross Rifle

baldie

Not much gets me moist these days, but i've just backordered one of these.

There are non in the country yet, despite companies advertising them.....

I'm gonna do bad things to it.........

4 hours ago, baldie said:

In other circs that would sound odd, strange and slightly perverse. However...it’s you. I get fed that which promotes growth and vigour - biscuits and poorly made tea, as the ‘bad things’ you do to me (no wonder I bring better offerings). Seriously tho slim, it’ll be good to see one of these tricked a bit by the Barnsley Donkey. 

Have seen the tests - looks good though seems very snappy recoil 

There’s another Sig alternative - the SSG 3000,,,,,,,,

48 minutes ago, Shytalk said:

Try source a Q ‘The Fix’ rifle if you can, with double the price tag of a Sig offering       - by the time you see one over here. Unless someone has one and can inform on the UK price paid for a Q?

I have the only Q Fix in civilian ownership in the U.K.  

Chris Parkin did a review which wasn’t the best IMO. He clearly just didn’t like the concept, he was shooting the rifle unmoderated in .308 with a 16” barrel.  The bolt is easy to get in and out, I don’t know what he was fumbling about,  rushing trying to do it all in one take. 

The U.K. RRP however was staggering. He quoted £4500. As you rightly identify getting one in the states is hard enough. 

I love mine. It’s too lightweight for PRS. Well with he proof research barrel it is. Plus I have an AX I can now use for the range. 

F13C02FE-6438-44EB-B027-59B5E4D9F2AE.jpeg

1 hour ago, Charlts said:

I cant wait to get my mits on a Cross, a short, light, pointable rifle with an adjustable stock and a great trigger will be a joy to hunt with.

Me too , I’m going for the creedmoor ( boo .....hiss... ) as I already have a nice .308 

creedmoor has an 18” barrel and with my chunky little Jet Z compact and a sexy Kahles K525i dumped on top I’m hoping it’s gonna make a cracking stalking and long range varmint rifle that I can quite happily take on range days and still have fun day with my mates @1000 yards maybe 1200 yards. 

1 hour ago, One on top of two said:

Me too , I’m going for the creedmoor ( boo .....hiss... ) as I already have a nice .308 

creedmoor has an 18” barrel and with my chunky little Jet Z compact and a sexy Kahles K525i dumped on top I’m hoping it’s gonna make a cracking stalking and long range varmint rifle that I can quite happily take on range days and still have fun day with my mates @1000 yards maybe 1200 yards. 

Definitely, it’s just the ticket for being a hunting rifle that’ll also some longer steel stuff and or tactical type matches. Look forward to seeing yours with the 525 on, that’ll be super Gucci!

Mr Huevos

Re.' It’s too lightweight for PRS' could you not just bolt on a pile of weights to bring it up to the 'a La Mode' F Class levels ?

Seems like a really nice rifle not to use? 😎

T

11 hours ago, terryh said:

Mr Huevos

Re.' It’s too lightweight for PRS' could you not just bolt on a pile of weights to bring it up to the 'a La Mode' F Class levels ?

Seems like a really nice rifle not to use? 😎

T

T,

That’s a fair idea. It gets used for stalking for now and I must say I love it. For now I will stick with the AX at the range. 

On 11/15/2020 at 6:01 AM, baldie said:

I'm curious to know the thoughts of experienced and knowledgeable gunsmiths such as yourself on the .277 Fury round Sig have developed for this rifle. From my far less educated point of view, it seems to me it will fizzle out. Correct me if I'm wrong but the main feature of the calibre is the increased velocity so that it sees fps from a 16" barrel comparable to what you'd expect from something like a 24" barrel, meaning the rifle can be lighter and more compact. All well and good, however, this is only achieved through chamber pressures (80,000 PSI from what I've read) that far exceed all current action tolerances these days.

Currently as it stands, only Cross owners (who chose that calibre) would support ammunition purchases, and can anyone really see other manufacturers putting in the R&D to develop new action footprints for a single, new calibre? Without the support of other big production companies whose rifles are commonly bought (lets say Tikka, Remington, Savage et al) how could producing this ammunition makes business sense? I definitely couldn't see any of the custom action manufacturers such as Defiant, Bighorn, Stiller, Borden etc doing it so I suppose what I'm asking is how will this calibre sustain itself and is it dead in the water from the off?

I know it was developed as part of US Defence contract proposal for an LMG (I think?) so if they got that I know that would massively changed things due to mil-surp ammo becoming available. That would probably spur most manufacturers to take it seriously and develop actions specifically for it with the appropriate pressure tolerances.

Thoughts? Would people agree or am I completely missing the the mark here?

18 hours ago, JDT said:

I'm curious to know the thoughts of experienced and knowledgeable gunsmiths such as yourself on the .277 Fury round Sig have developed for this rifle. From my far less educated point of view, it seems to me it will fizzle out. Correct me if I'm wrong but the main feature of the calibre is the increased velocity so that it sees fps from a 16" barrel comparable to what you'd expect from something like a 24" barrel, meaning the rifle can be lighter and more compact. All well and good, however, this is only achieved through chamber pressures (80,000 PSI from what I've read) that far exceed all current action tolerances these days.

Currently as it stands, only Cross owners (who chose that calibre) would support ammunition purchases, and can anyone really see other manufacturers putting in the R&D to develop new action footprints for a single, new calibre? Without the support of other big production companies whose rifles are commonly bought (lets say Tikka, Remington, Savage et al) how could producing this ammunition makes business sense? I definitely couldn't see any of the custom action manufacturers such as Defiant, Bighorn, Stiller, Borden etc doing it so I suppose what I'm asking is how will this calibre sustain itself and is it dead in the water from the off?

I know it was developed as part of US Defence contract proposal for an LMG (I think?) so if they got that I know that would massively changed things due to mil-surp ammo becoming available. That would probably spur most manufacturers to take it seriously and develop actions specifically for it with the appropriate pressure tolerances.

Thoughts? Would people agree or am I completely missing the the mark here?

The cartridge HAS been adopted as far as I know. If so, there won't be an ammo problem.

The Fury has only just received SAAMI acceptance. It will have to do the same with CIP.

It isn't going to sell here, with estimated ammo costs circa £3 a bang. Shame, because its a real game changer, power wise.

Hate to say this Scotch, but I really hope the cross isn't like the Fix. I've shot the fix, and it was frankly, horrible. That bolt handle is a joke on a 4.5K rifle.

Nutnfancy has done a presentation on the Sig Cross in 6.5 Creedmoor. He found serious flaws in the trigger rendering it unsafe, including not firing when the trigger was pressed, but firing when the pressure was removed; also firing when the bolt was manipulated with no pressure on the trigger. Video below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM0eq_FfDNs

maximus otter

20 minutes ago, maximus otter said:

Nutnfancy has done a presentation on the Sig Cross in 6.5 Creedmoor. He found serious flaws in the trigger rendering it unsafe, including not firing when the trigger was pressed, but firing when the pressure was removed; also firing when the bolt was manipulated with no pressure on the trigger. Video below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM0eq_FfDNs

maximus otter

Nice find MO 👍

not happy as said this will be an instant recall on a rifle that’s not even hit our shores yet. 
I think I will cancel mine until sig gets a handle on this. 

OOTOT bit gutted