Carbon barrel or fluting? .22 lr barrel AR-15

pwinnall

Hello,

I have a CMMG .22 lr bull barrel on my AR-15 rifle. Aero precision M4E1 upper and lower. 

It is too heavy and need it lighter. 
Has anyone carbon tubed their barrel or would fluting be better?

I need it lighter but without losing the bull barrel accuracy. 

thanks for your input

phil 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies. 

True, it is free floating too. And yes, only Aero hand guards but thankfully they are nice hand guards.

It is already 16” and want to keep the length.  And it is very accurate too being a bull barrel. It just buggers up the balance of the rifle. 

I would like to know what carbon sleeves or tubes to use so I can turn the barrel down fit carbon sleeve it. 

I work in engineering so turning down a diameter is easy.

Thanks Phil

Just turn it down, if you can do this yourself it'll be a nice little project. Making it thinner in itself will not make it less accurate, the bull barrel is only weight and helps with felt recoil, the accuracy will still be there if it is thinned down. The bore doesn't know how thick the barrel is and I very much doubt you'll get it hot enough with .22lr to affect accuracy of a thinner walled barrel.
You don't need the thickness or weight on the front or the expense of a carbon sleeve. Unless you like the look of the thicker barrel, that is.